PDA

View Full Version : Common Rust Areas on E46s/ZHPs?

racer2086
02-11-2019, 06:58 PM
Hi mafia. In my search for a ZHP, I found a nice blue on brown color combo car with options I'm looking for, but it's in the northeast and has a couple small rust spots on the right rear quarter. I told myself I would never buy a northeast car because I know what the salt up there can do, but not sure how bad it would be for the right price? But I do know where there is rust, there is more.

Not sure if this is a member on here.

130k miles for $9500. I don't know if I would be comfortable spending more than 8k on this (maybe that's too much?). What do you think is a fair price? What other pics should I ask for or should I move on? Anyone in VT that could look at it? ;)

What do you think about this:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7915/46343673484_5070fb1d8e_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7837/40102632473_7e5f03782d_b.jpg

amrozhp
02-11-2019, 07:15 PM
Hey, Racer. I saw this car too and talked with the owner today. I'm in the same boat. Finding a car that looks promising and then finding out it has a few rust spots.

I asked a similar question as yours last week when I found a car that looked good. What's the best way to handle it (the rust repairs) and trying to determine the cars value.

If you wouldn't mind, let me know if you figure anything out or come to a conclusion about value.

Good luck and take care.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

racer2086
02-11-2019, 07:26 PM
Well, personally I'm not as bothered by it looks-wise. I'm more concerned about what's going on deeper down, because if it shows there, think about further under the chassis. There's no way I would spend the asking on it. No way. I'll wait until something shows up in the south or offer less. But I don't know how much less. But, this is the car I'm looking for minus the rust and living in the northeast for 15 years.

I'll let you know if I figure anything out. Hoping for advice here and maybe a forum member local to it to check the underside and other vulnerable areas.

az3579
02-11-2019, 07:33 PM
For $9500 I would expect something with less mileage and zero rust. Personally if be looking more in the $6500-7000 range for that assuming the car doesn't need any major mechanical work.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

amrozhp
02-12-2019, 07:43 AM
For $9500 I would expect something with less mileage and zero rust. Personally if be looking more in the $6500-7000 range for that assuming the car doesn't need any major mechanical work.

About what I was thinking...

racer2086
02-16-2019, 05:11 PM
I'm getting a PPI on it from a friend of one of the E38 forum members. Curious to see its condition. I already told him I wouldn't pay more than 8k for it (and I feel like that may even be high, but seems in line with what I'm seeing around). The 6500-7000 range seems impossible to find a manual in decent shape with maintenance.

The maintenance on this one is good -- the big things have been done: oil pan gasket, OFHG, front window regulators, FCA bushings, etc. It comes with extra stuff also. The question is the rust and how extensive.

Says the clutch delay valve as been removed. What is that?

amrozhp
02-16-2019, 05:54 PM
I'm getting a PPI on it from a friend of one of the E38 forum members. Curious to see its condition. I already told him I wouldn't pay more than 8k for it (and I feel like that may even be high, but seems in line with what I'm seeing around). The 6500-7000 range seems impossible to find a manual in decent shape with maintenance.

The maintenance on this one is good -- the big things have been done: oil pan gasket, OFHG, front window regulators, FCA bushings, etc. It comes with extra stuff also. The question is the rust and how extensive.

Says the clutch delay valve as been removed. What is that?I found this...
https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6562

I'm curious how this goes for you. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I talked with the owner of this car and was concerned about the rust also. For me, it's a long distance away; i.e., Phoenix to Vermont.

I've looked at other cars with surface rust that are closer to me. If your negotiation goes well, it will provide some ammo for me.

Good luck!

racer2086
02-17-2019, 08:39 AM
I will see how things go and let you know. I'm hoping its clean underneath and this is just some localized surface rust. But my feeling is that will not be the case.

Reasoned1
02-17-2019, 10:31 AM
I live in Vermont and even inquired about this car. I concluded it was too “rough” to warrant the investment. I sure as hell wouldn’t ship it from Vermont to Arizona. In fact, I don’t recommend any car that’s been driven through any Vermont winters. The brine and salt they use up here gets everywhere and devours steel in no time. I’m currently racing to log miles on my DD before it melts away and fails inspection. I, for one, would much rather spend more money on a nice, rust-free, southern specimen.

danewilson77
02-17-2019, 07:24 PM

About what I was thinking...

I'll get on board with this.

Says the clutch delay valve as been removed. What is that?

CDV is a valve installed to make driving the manual a bit more forgiving for those not accustomed to a manual.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

racer2086
02-17-2019, 11:47 PM
I live in Vermont and even inquired about this car. I concluded it was too “rough” to warrant the investment. I sure as hell wouldn’t ship it from Vermont to Arizona. In fact, I don’t recommend any car that’s been driven through any Vermont winters. The brine and salt they use up here gets everywhere and devours steel in no time. I’m currently racing to log miles on my DD before it melts away and fails inspection. I, for one, would much rather spend more money on a nice, rust-free, southern specimen.

Wow well you may have saved me some money then, because I'll call and cancel the PPI. It's impossible to tell the condition of anything with 4 pictures online, and if you've seen it in person and its that rough, then I'll pass. Plus it's lived up north its whole life. Not good.

Reasoned1
02-18-2019, 03:09 PM
I did NOT see it in person. I spoke to the seller who sent me additional pics and described the condition to me. I’m always a little suspicious when too few pics are provided. I have to believe you can find lots of nice cars in Arizona or Southern California.

amrozhp
02-18-2019, 08:36 PM
I did NOT see it in person. I spoke to the seller who sent me additional pics and described the condition to me. I’m always a little suspicious when too few pics are provided. I have to believe you can find lots of nice cars in Arizona or Southern California.Unfortunately, there's nothing available right now in Arizona. Just one ZHP sedan with a rebuilt title (I wrote about it in a different thread). And another car that has been lowered with an unadjustable suspension by an owner who thinks it's worth over $10K! Good grief!

IMHO, I think the stock ride height of the ZHP sedans or coupes is just about perfect. Why lower it permanently? I might give the guy $5-6K for the car and invest in an OEM or adjustable suspension setup as long as there's nothing else wrong with the car. Famous last words...

racer2086
02-18-2019, 08:58 PM
I did NOT see it in person. I spoke to the seller who sent me additional pics and described the condition to me. I’m always a little suspicious when too few pics are provided. I have to believe you can find lots of nice cars in Arizona or Southern California.

Yeah that's fine. He sent me some pictures of the rust on the rear quarter. also suspicious when there aren't very many pictures because if the cars that clean why not take a bunch of pictures and prove it. I think I was just in a bit of denial that maybe it wasn't as bad for a nice color combo car but the bottom line is anything that's been in the Northeast is going to have rust and living in Florida I don't want that.

I'll just hang out and wait for the right car to come around it'll just take time.

Reasoned1
02-19-2019, 03:58 PM
Good things to those who wait. :)

And not every car in the northeast has rust. My garage queen doesn't have a bit of it, because it's properly garaged, kept clean, and driven only in fair weather.