PDA

View Full Version : Random windows all opening/door lock malfunction

E46Fan
01-29-2019, 08:37 PM
Ok, this is making me nuts. I have a 2005 330ci ZHP coupe with just under 100k miles. I came home new years eve in my other car in the poring rain to find my car had randomly unlocked and opened every window including the sunroof. It was as though I had held down the unlock on the FOB. A week later, while driving to work, the car locked the doors. I hit the central unlock, and a few miles later the doors locked again. It randomly stopped, then happened again a few days later. I have had the windows all open a few more time since while sitting locked with the engine off. This seems to coincide with rainy or snowy weather, mostly rainy. It stopped for several weeks, then last weekend I ran it through the car wash. I looked out later that evening to check on it and the dome lights were on and all windows were open. Every time I closed the windows, a minute or two later they reopended. If I started the car, they remained closed. When I turned the car off, they all opened again. I went in the house to switch keys thinking maybe one key was stuck sending a constant unlock signal, but the car acted the same while in the presence of the other key. Now I need to disconnect the battery when the car is off to keep all the windows closed.

One other thing I have tried is unplugging the rearview mirror/clown nose is case it was somehow the culprit. This made no change.

Could this be the module in the driver door or the GM5? Anyone had something similar? My searches came up empty on this one. Any help would be appreciated.

az3579
01-30-2019, 04:39 AM
Sounds like GM5...

John in VA
01-30-2019, 05:55 AM
See ~1/3 down the page here: https://www.bmwgm5.com/

ZHPizza
01-30-2019, 05:58 AM
Sounds like GM5...

church

https://www.bmwgm5.com/

edit: heckin john heckin beat me to it hecker

E46Fan
01-30-2019, 07:07 AM
Awesome, thank you! I also posted this issue on the E46Fanatics site and received this link:
https://www.bmwgm5.com/bmwgm5/Bad_Actuator.htm

I have a spare sedan driver door actuator, any reason to think it will not work in my coupe?

ZHPizza
01-30-2019, 10:13 AM
I have a spare sedan driver door actuator, any reason to think it will not work in my coupe?

Compare the part numbers on realoem and confirm?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=BD53-USA-01-2005-E46-BMW-330Ci

Sockethead
02-01-2019, 05:04 AM
For some reason, none of the links above work for me...

I’d replace the drivers door actuator. It’s malfunctioning and the GM 5 module thinks the key is inserted and turned to open all the windows.
We had this exact same thing happen to our 135. Thankfully, it never rained when is was happening.

E46Fan
02-01-2019, 04:36 PM
Thank you. Your comments agree completely with everything I am reading on E46Fanatics. I have a brand new driver door actuator coming tomorrow and will get it installed this weekend. I’ll report back how things go.

E46Fan
02-13-2019, 02:47 PM
Driver door actuator installed Feb 2. NO problems since then, considering fixed. Thank you all for your help!

Sockethead
02-14-2019, 06:12 AM
Awesome!

nextelbuddy
02-15-2019, 12:11 PM
i just did a GM5 replacement for a local guy.

he had a touring but same type of issues.

his rear windows would go down but not up, holding lock button to close windows would open sunroof, rear hatch/trunk light..

i replaced his GM5 with a known good one that had a same or higher software and hardware version and just flashed it with defaults (blank MAN file in NCS Expert). it coded the module as a touring and all was well for him.

if you have coding software, go to the junk yard and get one for like $10. just make sure it has the same or higher software/hardware version as your original module.

E46Fan
02-15-2019, 05:11 PM
i just did a GM5 replacement for a local guy.

he had a touring but same type of issues.

his rear windows would go down but not up, holding lock button to close windows would open sunroof, rear hatch/trunk light..

i replaced his GM5 with a known good one that had a same or higher software and hardware version and just flashed it with defaults (blank MAN file in NCS Expert). it coded the module as a touring and all was well for him.

if you have coding software, go to the junk yard and get one for like $10. just make sure it has the same or higher software/hardware version as your original module.

Thanks. Don’t have the needed software but really need to do some research in this area and improve my skill set. This is my second E46 and can see myself getting another once this one in used up. Having this knowledge and software would be awesome.