PDA

View Full Version : The ZHP is Timeless!

cornercarver
01-12-2019, 05:17 PM
Amazing that people are still taking about this car a decade later...

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/01/12/affordable-dream-car-bmw-330i-zhp/

johnrando
01-12-2019, 07:08 PM
Nice article. Agree with all he says except that it's near the performance of the M3. Near is subjective, but that is a bit of a stretch to me. If they mean it's not enough of a difference to DD the M3 over the ZHP, I would agree. Thanks for posting the article. Love 'em.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

joeybananaz18
01-12-2019, 07:09 PM
that article nails exactly why i love my zhp.....and why i don't feel the need to switch to a samsung lol

cornercarver
01-12-2019, 07:50 PM
Nice article. Agree with all he says except that it's near the performance of the M3. Near is subjective, but that is a bit of a stretch to me. If they mean it's not enough of a difference to DD the M3 over the ZHP, I would agree. Thanks for posting the article. Love 'em.
Have you driven an M3? Horsepower aside, I’ve always wanted to hear how much of a performance difference there is between the M3 and a ZHP from someone who has driven both. I’ve owned a couple of very quick cars (a ‘91 Corvette ZR-1 and a heavily modified, mostly tracked ‘90 Mustang) and I have to say the ZHP is very close to the handling of those cars. I’ve never driven an M3 but I feel like the ZHP must be really close in performance. (Again - ignoring the horsepower difference.)

Fenrir
01-12-2019, 08:36 PM
I wouldn't say timeless. I like the BMW Kool aid but not enough to say timeless lol. Good article but I agree with Jon.

There's a touch of fandom in it. The ZHP is a fantastic daily that easily doubles as a performance car. But like Jon said, near is subjective.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

JPMo
01-12-2019, 09:14 PM
Beat me to the post! All I know is that I'm enjoying the ride and plan on keeping mine for the long run. We'll see what the future market decides.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RUS_ZHP
01-12-2019, 09:30 PM
Article is pretty good and I also surprised to hear that new articles are coming out about ZHP. The only thing author was wrong is production years for sedan and coupe.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

derbo
01-12-2019, 09:42 PM
Suspension part is wrong. :) ZHP has the same shocks and sways as ZSP

ZHP is a very fun daily driver. Same with the E92 335is. Same with the F22 M240i. Most likely the new G20 M340i too. :)

johnrando
01-12-2019, 10:27 PM
Have you driven an M3? Horsepower aside, I’ve always wanted to hear how much of a performance difference there is between the M3 and a ZHP from someone who has driven both. I’ve owned a couple of very quick cars (a ‘91 Corvette ZR-1 and a heavily modified, mostly tracked ‘90 Mustang) and I have to say the ZHP is very close to the handling of those cars. I’ve never driven an M3 but I feel like the ZHP must be really close in performance. (Again - ignoring the horsepower difference.)I have driven an M3. Night and day as far as acceleration and feel. Not close, M3 pulls hard throughout. They are different cars, with different purposes. That doesn't mean better or worse, just different.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dpark
01-13-2019, 12:20 AM
I am an original owner of a 2004 ZHP. 140K miles and going strong.

Buying all parts from FCPEuro so I don’t have to buy them again (Install yes, but buy again, no)

I love the car. How it looks, how it handles and how relatively reliable it is. Yeah, replaced the alternator, fuel pump and cooling system, but after 15 years, it’s not too bad.

Next car will be an EV. I am hoping that this baby will go 3-4 more years without any serious repair costs and then will make the switch away from ICE to EV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dual
01-13-2019, 05:39 AM
Nice to see; thanks! Would have been nice if they'd chosen an unmodified car for the photos- it might raise expectations for the unknowing.

JohnnyGraphic
01-13-2019, 12:30 PM
Nice to see; thanks! Would have been nice if they'd chosen an unmodified car for the photos- it might raise expectations for the unknowing.

+1! The modded ZHP kinda ruined it. A bone stock Imola Red ZHP would’ve been ideal.

Could’ve been more detailed about the driving differences though. It almost sounds like the guy was looking at a spreadsheet of specs and not any hands on driving experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELCID86
01-13-2019, 01:32 PM
So who’s car is that?

az3579
01-14-2019, 05:26 AM
I think it's funny how the exact car they chose to feature in the picture, if I remember correctly, was listed at significantly more money than what they listed, which they listed as 7-10k. 7-10k is the correct range; the pictured car was quite a lot more money than 10k. I remember seeing the sale ad for it and specifically remembered the asking price as being high. Clean as hell though.

webster
01-14-2019, 03:09 PM
yeah that car was listed for $14-16k IIRC, but that was a couple years ago when prices were higher.