PDA

View Full Version : ZHP Coupe Wrong Cluster?

kw740735
10-09-2018, 02:16 PM
Hi All,

I'm new to the forums (Hi all!), I just bought a '05 coupe in pretty good shape all around. I drove it all the way back home and had no problems at all, its been such a great ride!

As I began my preventative maintenance on the car since I've gotten home, I realized the instrument cluster seems like it was actually meant for a sedan. It has the ZHP orange needles, but seems to have "four doors" instead of two on the cluster where it lights up when your door or trunk is opened. My friends with other 330cis (Non ZHP) don't seem to have the same cluster layout as mine. I am wondering if the cluster has been changed before or is there something i am missing here?

Any input would be great.

Thanks!

fredo
10-09-2018, 07:30 PM
Congrats ! Please check the cluster on this link. I bet it's similar to yours.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-bmw-330ci-3/

kw740735
10-10-2018, 01:52 PM
Congrats ! Please check the cluster on this link. I bet it's similar to yours.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-bmw-330ci-3/

Hi Fredo,

I actually am having a hard time seeing the "unlit" backdoors I am speaking of, I tried zooming in on the photo but still couldn't see it.

Are you aware of this issue from anyone else on the forums?

fredo
10-10-2018, 02:12 PM
Negative. I'm sure a coupe or vert owner will reply here.

pedro2u
10-10-2018, 02:49 PM
Not sure if this helps you, but here's my cluster image during self test from when I had it apart to fix the broken reset buttons:

PetesZ
10-10-2018, 02:58 PM

pedro2u
10-10-2018, 02:59 PM
and there's several youtube videos showing how to test the functionality of the cluster. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4JMxcAgviM&t=106s which appears to be a 2 door cluster.

There are other videos that show 4 doors though. So sounds like you may have the wrong cluster, which might make the mileage questionable too (hopefully not)

PetesZ
10-10-2018, 03:16 PM
More than 200 miles difference between the mileage on the cluster and the DME ithink pop a tamper dot like mine has

Round dot

pedro2u
10-10-2018, 04:18 PM
I saw a post from Overboost over on e46fanatics that gave instructions on how to write the mileage using PASoft and eliminate the tamper dot. Can't say if this works since I have no need to try this, but it could be how a wrong cluster could be installed and have the correct mileage. Here's the instructions he attached:

Sockethead
10-10-2018, 06:17 PM
From what I understand, All clusters have the potential for 4 door lights. My M3 cluster was modified to show 4 doors by soldering in the two missing LEDs and having the cluster recoded for 4 doors instead of two. Nothing on the face of the cluster was changed...

nextelbuddy
10-10-2018, 07:15 PM
So I was under the impression that only M3 clusters had LEDs for the front two doors and no LEDs for the rear doors and then all non M clusters had LEDs in all four doors.

Well the test that theory I specifically put in a zhp cluster in my wagon conversion and it just happened to come out of a two-door zhp and surprise surprise no LEDs light up for the rear doors on the front so now I'm annoyed by that cuz now I'm going to have to go and soldering new LEDs just like I did for my M3 cluster. How annoying.

it must be a year thing because I know I have seen zhp clusters in coops the did have LEDs and all four locations so there must be like a year cut off where certain years. Clusters that had LEDs in all four locations and others it only had LEDs and only two locations.

az3579
10-12-2018, 06:17 AM
More than 200 miles difference between the mileage on the cluster and the DME ithink pop a tamper dot like mine has

Round dot

The dot will trigger with a 100km discrepancy, or 62 miles.

it must be a year thing because I know I have seen zhp clusters in coops the did have LEDs and all four locations so there must be like a year cut off where certain years. Clusters that had LEDs in all four locations and others it only had LEDs and only two locations.

You might want to take a closer look - it's possible only two are lighting up due to the cluster's VO. If it's coded as a coupe, then only those LEDs would light up, assuming all 4 LEDs were actually there.

You're no stranger to disassembling clusters - take it apart and check to see if the LEDs are hiding back there and that should give you your answer.

Coupe clusters are unique to coupes in the sense that the gauge faces are different for non-ZHPs. The faces are grey with italicized font. Sedans only had the black face with non-italics. I'm not too sure about the LEDs for non-M's... I have a spare coupe non-ZHP cluster at home - I'll take it apart when I get home and take a look to see if there are LEDs hiding under there.