PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a good mechanic in or near Forty Myers FL - my evaporator needs to be replaced

Johnd
07-18-2018, 11:26 AM
So I had the AC purged and refilled last August at the dealer and they mentioned a slow leak in the evaporator. I've driven the car twice in the last year and when I got in today the AC was blowing hot air. The dealer quoted almost 2K to replace it last year. So I am looking for a local shop that can do the job for less.

Thanks
JD

Vas
07-18-2018, 11:56 AM
Not sure how close this place is to you but they would be on top of my list.

LHT Performance

6330 46th St N #111, Pinellas Park, FL 33781

Johnd
07-19-2018, 03:26 AM
That's for the recommendation. The place is 2.5 hours away from where I live. I stopped a pep boys on the way home and bought a can of Freon, it was down about 3/4 of a can, and is now working fine. I checked my dealer receipt and I had the system purged and filled last august, so in 11 months my car has seen under 300 miles. I am going to see how low the recent top of holds. If I have to fill it once every 6 months for $30 - it would take 20 years to justify replacing the evaporator. I am still going to call the dealer to see if they will lower the price. I found one article where a guy was quoted $2400 and they did it for $1300

fredo
07-19-2018, 09:47 AM
Bring your own part to your Indy, pay only for labor. Case in hand, the compressor went south on my F30. The part costs $1,500 at the dealer. My Indy said: I will give you a break, $800 for the part. Then I looked online and found it for $320. And apparently it's the same brand sold by the dealer : Denso. Similar situation to Lemforder, I bet.