PDA

View Full Version : Car Totaled - Need some valuation help

brewer90
03-28-2018, 08:52 PM
I'm pretty sick over this. I did a corporate relo from Austin to Livermore, CA and my ZHP was transported for me. It was a few days ahead of me so they unloaded it at their holding lot and during the time it was there one of the semis with a car carrier backed into the front of it. The repair estimated I got is $10.4k. The insurance companies guy had the repair at $8k. However they also had the car value at $7.9k. Mine was an 06 coupe 6MT with 108k miles. I thought the valuation was low but I looked at Edmunds, KBB and Nada and they all had it around $8k. Ebay is all over the place and the classifieds seem varied too.

I did so much work on this car that I know I won't get shit back for so it's all just a crappy situation. Maybe my perception of what is worth is being skewed by how much love and attention I poured into it.

Anyway what's the consensus on the amount I should be happy to get? And I also just put $1300 in new rear tires and suspension bushings on it in the last two months too.

Sreten
03-28-2018, 10:51 PM
That's a nice color, sorry for your loss. Do you have pictures of the damage? Maybe it's repairable if you can DIY.

BMWCurves
03-28-2018, 10:56 PM
A) So so so sorry to hear about your loss. That's frustrating as hell
B) I'd say if you can eek out $10k somehow, you've gotten away with a good deal. Definitely fight back on insurance on any initial offer.
C) You have that car? I remember seeing it for sale on E46Fanatics six or seven years ago in the midwest somewhere and was so envious of the new owner. I lusted after that car.

slater
03-29-2018, 04:11 AM
bummer. i would fight this one pretty hard - the transport company should be kissing your butt here as the threat of suing them would be pretty real. also, don't they have insurance for stuff like this?

i would take a serious look at what it would cost to replace the car, factoring in the maintenance you've done as you'll have to do that again to a new ZHP. you've got a 2006, rare color, below average miles. should be at least $12-13K.

do you have recent photos of it's condition, and maintenance performed? again, the transport company should be making this situation right.

also - pics of the damage? curious and perhaps you could make getting the car back as part of the settlement deal (i would).

Vas
03-29-2018, 06:05 AM
Man that sucks

Dual
03-29-2018, 06:36 AM
Good advice here as usual, I'd say. So sorry for your loss: that's a beautiful car.

SaltyNC
03-29-2018, 07:39 AM
So sorry about this. Your car was beautiful and we can see the love and attention you put into it.

brewer90
03-29-2018, 07:44 AM
That's a nice color, sorry for your loss. Do you have pictures of the damage? Maybe it's repairable if you can DIY. It doesn't look too bad from the pics but I just started a new job with a new company and really don't have time to tackle this. Plus my family is still in Texas so I'm traveling back to see them every other weekend.

Work has blocked me from uploading the pics.

A) So so so sorry to hear about your loss. That's frustrating as hell
B) I'd say if you can eek out $10k somehow, you've gotten away with a good deal. Definitely fight back on insurance on any initial offer.
C) You have that car? I remember seeing it for sale on E46Fanatics six or seven years ago in the midwest somewhere and was so envious of the new owner. I lusted after that car.

Yes this is that car. When I saw that post I had to have it. I was negotiating to buy during my daughter's band concert ;-) I flew to Green Bay, WI in January and drove it back to Texas. I got lucky and had good weather all the way.

bummer. i would fight this one pretty hard - the transport company should be kissing your butt here as the threat of suing them would be pretty real. also, don't they have insurance for stuff like this?

i would take a serious look at what it would cost to replace the car, factoring in the maintenance you've done as you'll have to do that again to a new ZHP. you've got a 2006, rare color, below average miles. should be at least $12-13K.

do you have recent photos of it's condition, and maintenance performed? again, the transport company should be making this situation right.

also - pics of the damage? curious and perhaps you could make getting the car back as part of the settlement deal (i would).

They have an insurance company that they've handed the claim off to. The adjuster has been helpful but the first value came back as a base 330 so he went back with the info I gave him on the options and rarity of the car. I should hear something else today.

I also think my company will help make of the difference if it comes to that.

jiggz
03-29-2018, 09:35 AM
Awful situation, sorry to read about this. Hopefully your insurance adjuster comes through w/ a good settlement offer.

What color is that? Mystic? I think the lighting has me confused!

Ron///Man
03-29-2018, 04:43 PM
Sorry for your loss. Gorgeous car!! Love the color!!

fredo
03-29-2018, 04:51 PM
+1. Do you still have the vert ?

Edit: sorry for the confusion. I realize you have a coupe, not a vert.

ELCID86
03-29-2018, 05:48 PM
So sad. Sounds about right, perhaps a bit low. Keep pushing back

danewilson77
03-30-2018, 10:37 AM
Damn.... I mean.... Frig

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

slater
03-31-2018, 05:03 AM
Damn.... I mean.... Frig

Heh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewer90
04-12-2018, 06:10 PM
Sorry for disappearing. Work has been crazy and this was in limbo until today.

In the end I got $10.4k and the car. Part of it was the insurance and the other was a goodwill gesture from the relo company. I haven't decided what to do with it yet. I'd like to keep it but I'm probably going to have to move it. I had to buy another car last week to get back and forth to work with so that brings me up to four. Not sure I can keep five going. The good thing is that my new neighbor across the street is interested in buying it so I could still take it for a spin. He's a car maintenance nut so it would be in good hands. It's hard to see it go though. I just wish the whole situation wouldn't have happened.

ELCID86
04-13-2018, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the update. That’s a good take for one of our old cars.

danewilson77
04-15-2018, 09:28 AM
Thanks for he update. That’s a good take for one of our old cars.+1

stephenkirsh
04-20-2018, 08:35 PM
Didn’t realize people relocate TO Livermore lol

Keep us updated with what you do with the car.

brewer90
04-22-2018, 04:14 PM
Ha! I actually really like the area. It's away from the bay area madness and I'm in walking distance to four wineries and a brewery so can stumble home. Plus my commute is only 15 mins so that's a bonus. The traffic sure sucks out here.

stephenkirsh
04-29-2018, 06:09 PM
What brewery?

I grew up in Livermore. Moved out in 09.

brewer90
04-30-2018, 07:58 AM
Altamont. I live off of Vasco and Charlotte Way. Just north of Tesla. I run manufacturing for Lam although we weren't here yet if you left in 09. I don't think the factory moved until 2010. It's on the northwest side of town north of 580 by the Costco.

I still see Bay Area as your location. Where did you move to?

stephenkirsh
04-30-2018, 07:10 PM
Ive heard of altamont. Haven’t made it there yet.

Moved to Sonoma county for school. Ended up staying.