PDA

View Full Version : At what mileage does the resale price of a ZHP decline the most?

zkong
03-05-2018, 01:48 PM
Not sure if this is the right spot for this but I’m just wondering at what mileage or point in a ZHP’s life does the value seem to drop the most? I just hit a year of ownership and am at about 120k miles. I’m still not sure if I see myself keeping it long term and want to get as much as my value back as possible if I can. I don’t want to get to a point where the mileage is too high and I can’t find a buyer and end up having to sell to someone who doesn’t know what a zhp is and get regular 330i prices. I know it all depends on the seller and the cars are just getting older so miles will follow.

I have a 2004 Imola 6MT sedan with 120k. Great maintenance records, mostly from the previous owner. Has a BMW performance intake and CF strut bar along with Apex Arc-8 wheels.

Thanks for any input!

fredo
03-05-2018, 02:39 PM
I believe that in general, it’s more difficult to sell a car above 100k miles. I bought mine 3 years ago with 137k miles on the clock. The PO had lots of service records available, so the miles were not important for me.

You just need to be patient when you decide to sell it, eventually someone will pull the trigger. About your question, if you want to get the most money for your car, then the best time to sell is now IMHO.

zkong
03-05-2018, 03:33 PM
I believe that in general, it’s more difficult to sell a car above 100k miles. I bought mine 3 years ago with 137k miles on the clock. The PO had lots of service records available, so the miles were not important for me.

You just need to be patient when you decide to sell it, eventually someone will pull the trigger. About your question, if you want to get the most money for your car, then the best time to sell is now IMHO.

Thanks, also I was looking at the classifieds and saw the strut bar sells for ~$1000. I feel like I wouldn’t get that much more added value to the car for someone purchasing it rather than removing it at selling it separately.

fredo
03-05-2018, 03:40 PM
I agree. Your best bet is to sell the CF strut bar separately.

san
03-05-2018, 04:22 PM
Their value only goes down. If you want the best price then you are better off selling it now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vas
03-05-2018, 05:50 PM
If you remove the intake you have a buyer.

As far as value, it's only going to continue to drop. Sell now if you are worried about the final price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

charter21p5
03-06-2018, 04:28 PM
I agree on removing the strut bar or set the price of the car and tell the potential it's another 1k if they want the cf bar. I am surprised to read you have a performance air intake. Question for anyone: It was my understanding those were not for our zhp cars?

John in VA
03-06-2018, 05:51 PM
I am surprised to read you have a performance air intake. Question for anyone: It was my understanding those were not for our zhp cars?
I believe they came in two versions - for the 325 or 330.

charter21p5
03-06-2018, 05:56 PM
Ok thanks. Not trying to hijack the thread.

Smolck
03-06-2018, 06:31 PM
Strut bars for $1000 make me laugh.

I bought my 04 ZHP (Silver, 6MT, Fold down seats, cold weather package) in 2012 with 138k miles for $10k. I sold it in 2015 for $6500 with 215k miles. I spent $6,600 in performance parts and maintenance in those 2 years of ownership. And not a day goes by I don't miss that car and regret selling it. The ZHP is truly one of the best drivers cars ever made.

My advice is keep it, and drive it forever.

charter21p5
03-08-2018, 03:15 PM
I agree on keeping it. I am never selling mine!

Sailor
03-09-2018, 08:20 PM
Smolk, my story is eerily similar to yours. Mine is a silver '04, bought late last year with 133k. The price was so good I figure I can do some decent upgrades and still have a reasonable cost/mile when I sell (or when the wheels fall off.) It is such a satisfying car to drive that I'm willing to put more into it if necessary without complaining. Drove it 150 miles earlier this week, 90% highway but some backroads too, and had 33+mpg showing when I got home. Nothing else can give me that combo of responsiveness, quality, and fuel economy for the buck.

joeybananaz18
03-09-2018, 09:08 PM
I say part out the intake are strut bar (because i want them both lol) and then list the car slightly on the higher end so you have room to negotiate down a bit.

KevinC
03-09-2018, 09:36 PM
My advice: definitely part out any aftermarket stuff before selling. It may well detract from the value on a car of this age, especially a "special edition" car like the ZHP. A $1k strut bar certainly won't add anywhere near that much to the car's resale value, if anything at all. Style 135's? Yes, they're heavy as boat anchors. But they are also unique to the ZHP (in our market at least - used on other stuff such as the Z4 in Europe). So I keep them. If I were shopping again, I'd be looking for as stock a car as I could possibly find. Some aftermarket stuff is a legitimate upgrade, but a lot of it isn't of much benefit (if any at all). Just my 2c!