PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing?

nsk040
02-17-2018, 10:27 AM
I have a slight noise at certain speeds (~40mph) on specific roads. Likely will be tough to capture the noise on video as it's not very loud, but it's a "ruh-ruh-ruh" sort of noise that lasts a second or two. Unclear where the noise is coming from. Not audible under braking, and I can sometimes produce the noise by subtlety adding a bit of throttle (i.e. +2%) or breathing out of the throttle from the ~40mph cruising speed.

A tech who rode with me was confident it was tires. Just got some new tires (Firehawk Indy 500s) and the noise is still there. Any ideas?

Update with video of noise - easiest to hear b/w 4 and 6 seconds into the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2uLLfsX27w&feature=youtu.be

Johnmadd
02-17-2018, 12:28 PM
My money would be on driveshaft center bearing.

brettbimmer
02-18-2018, 07:05 AM
×2 to what Maddman said. Driveshaft center support bearing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nsk040
02-18-2018, 08:44 AM
The odd thing is that the noise has been the same for the past year or so...hasn't gotten worse as far as I can tell.

How tough is this as a DIY?

Thanks guys.

nsk040
03-01-2018, 08:09 AM
It sounds like the noise is coming from pretty far back in the car. How far back/rearward is the driveshaft support bearing? All the pics/diagrams I can find are zoomed in too much for me to figure out general location.

SaltyNC
03-01-2018, 09:26 AM
Do you experience any vibration when you accelerate in certain RPM bands? That's usually a symptom of the CSB, as well. Don't ask me how I know. :-( I will be doing the CSB in the next few weeks. The center support bearing is close to the middle of the car overall. You have to separate the driveshaft to replace the CSB. You can do it with the exhaust dropped partially, but it may be easier to just remove the exhaust completely. Heat shield will need to be removed. While in there, it would be a no-brainer to also replace the guibo (flex disc). Also, the drive shaft needs to be marked, so you can put it back the same exact way to keep it in balance. You'll need a bearing puller, and some large sockets or bearing push set to get the new one back on. Some people run into problems trying to remove the exhaust hardware due to corrosion, so you have to be prepared for that.

Sallty

SaltyNC
03-01-2018, 09:37 AM
Here is a video where I think you can see the approx location of the CSB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E5Mg9MX7C8

SaltyNC
03-01-2018, 09:58 AM
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?9412-DIY-replacing-guibo-(flexdisc)-and-or-driveshaft-center-support-bearing-(CSB)-doityourself

nsk040
03-01-2018, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the link. My sense is that the noise is actually coming from a bit further back than the CSB, however the acoustics may deceptive.

It's more of a noise than a vibration. It happens around 40-45 mph, and I can duplicate the noise in several gears so engine speed is not a factor. It comes and goes at that speed and only ever lasts for ~1-2 seconds at time. Breathing slightly into/out of the throttle tends to produce it, however it also can be heard periodically during constant speed/throttle cruising.

Based on that link, is it fair to think a shop would bill and hour or so for this?

Probably best to do transmission mounts at the same time in addition to the flex disc?

Sockethead
03-01-2018, 12:31 PM
I'd check your rear diff mount. If it's really shot, it could transfer gear whine to the cabin. The rear diff mount is a common failure point

nsk040
03-02-2018, 09:18 PM
Rear diff mounts were inspected by the tech when the car was up on a lift and he said it was. I think there were 2 mounts, but could only have been 1.

Dave1027
03-03-2018, 11:08 AM
I'd think a ruh-ruh noise at 40 mph would not be driveshaft related. My reasoning is because at that speed the driveshaft is spinning much faster than ruh-ruh. A ruh-ruh noise would be more like 4 mph not 40. 40 would be more of a rrrrrr vibration. But who knows? Maybe harmonics plays a part.

When our old 4runner had a u-joint issue the sound was a Vrrrv vibration at about 60 mph.

Sockethead
03-05-2018, 10:02 AM
Rear diff mounts were inspected by the tech when the car was up on a lift and he said it was. I think there were 2 mounts, but could only have been 1.
The diff has 3 mounts, two in the front and one in the rear. the rear one has the high failure rate...

fredo
03-05-2018, 02:28 PM
My Indy suggested to replace the rear differential bushing. He said it requires 4.5 hours of labor. He also recommended a poly bushing.

He didn’t said there are 2 other bushings in there. Thoughts about going with a poly one ?

nsk040
03-05-2018, 04:58 PM
Updated with actual video of noise. Most audible b/w 4 and 6 seconds into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2uLLfsX27w&feature=youtu.be

Smolck
03-06-2018, 06:39 PM
Wheel bearings are easy to diagnose. If the noise goes away when you turn hard one way or the other, it's likely a wheel bearing. Another easy way to test it is jack up the car and spin it by hand with the tire off. You'll hear it if it's bad.

Firehawks arent "quiet" tires. It could just be the tread. Great grip though.

san
03-07-2018, 05:29 AM
My Indy suggested to replace the rear differential bushing. He said it requires 4.5 hours of labor. He also recommended a poly bushing.

He didn’t said there are 2 other bushings in there. Thoughts about going with a poly one ?

I went with lemforder when I replaced mine. I didn’t want the NVH to get worse...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsk040
03-07-2018, 06:27 AM
The noise doesn't vary based on lateral load, as one would think a bad wheel bearing would.

The noise is the same after the new tires vs. before so I don't think its the new tires.

Smolck
03-07-2018, 07:13 PM
The noise doesn't vary based on lateral load, as one would think a bad wheel bearing would.

The noise is the same after the new tires vs. before so I don't think its the new tires.

Just saw you posted a video (missed that part last night). That sound doesn't sound like wheel bearings or tires to me. Tough to diagnose that one over the web.....

SaltyNC
03-07-2018, 08:03 PM
I think it would be worth inspecting the entire driveshaft (flex disc, center support bearing, universal joint, etc). This is all just speculation, but it's like the suspension is flexing as you drive over an uneven surface (an ordinary road), and that is what explains the intermittent nature of the noise. It sounds rotational, but not constant. I can imagine that driveshaft flexing against a worn center support bearing and making that noise at the lowest position of the driveshaft, and then as the driveshaft returns to its natural resting point, the noise goes away.

Or I could be full of it. ;-)

Salty

nsk040
03-18-2018, 05:44 PM
The shop suspected it was the left rear wheel bearing, but wasn't overly confident. I agree that the noise is coming from further back in the car, and from the left side so I'm thinking it isn't driveshaft-related. How bad is the rear wheel bearing DIY assuming I get the right bearing puller tool(s)?

ELCID86
03-20-2018, 04:38 PM
The shop suspected it was the left rear wheel bearing, but wasn't overly confident. I agree that the noise is coming from further back in the car, and from the left side so I'm thinking it isn't driveshaft-related. How bad is the rear wheel bearing DIY assuming I get the right bearing puller tool(s)?

Vas?

Vas
03-20-2018, 05:07 PM
Vas?I only did the front wheel bearings. Rear ones don't usually fail.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ELCID86
03-21-2018, 02:15 AM
I only did the front wheel bearings. Rear ones don't usually fail.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Gotcha. Do you think it’s the same procedure to do the rears?

nsk040
04-18-2018, 05:42 AM
Update: I've had 2 shops look at it. Both seemed a bit less than 50% confident that it was a left rear wheel bearing. I don't think it's a wheel bearing b/c 1) the noise isn't a "drone", 2) it isn't impacted by lateral load, and 3) it is sometimes not audible for a few seconds but then it will come back - if it was a wheel bearing I would think the noise would be pretty constant at a given speed.

The rear wheel bearing replacement is a bit more complicated than the front as you have to deal with the drive shafts - seems to be quoted at ~3 hours/side.

Ugh.

veryDisco
09-17-2018, 06:36 PM
Update? I got the wah wah wah noise. Replaced one front wheel hub - I think it is less now. The other front wheel bearing?

nsk040
09-18-2018, 04:48 AM
My noise was a rear wheel bearing. I wasn't very confident in the diagnosis (neither was the shop) but it turned out to be right. Slight lateral load didn't impact the noise, however higher, sustained load (i.e. smooth on-ramp) did impact the noise. I only tested it under milder load so I had convinced myself it probably wasn't a wheel bearing.

Try putting the rear seats down to see if the noise gets louder. If not, at least you know your remaining noise issue is at the front end.