PDA

View Full Version : Shadowline Trim Weatherstripping Swap

SaltyNC
12-26-2017, 01:02 PM
I will be going the DIY route for the shadowline trim weatherstripping replacement on the upper shadowline trim. Thanks to those that shared this solution. I polished the trim, and it polished up beautifully, so I sure don't mind a couple hours labor and a sack of 3M weatherstripping to save $1000.

I noticed the lower trim under the vent/quarter window is also shadowline, and even though ~$100 per side is more reasonable, I just can't get past paying $200+ for two pieces of weatherstripping that should be around $30-40. I have two pieces of the matte OEM rubber weatherstripping for this area, and I was originally thinking I could cover it in vinyl shadowline, or paint it in Jet Black to match my body color. But, in looking at the shadowline lower trim piece, I'm wondering if it is possible to just remove the shadowline trim and attach it to the matte rubber piece. It looks like that may be what is done at the factory.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!

Salty

704sw
12-31-2017, 09:02 AM
I will be going the DIY route for the shadowline trim weatherstripping replacement on the upper shadowline trim. Thanks to those that shared this solution. I polished the trim, and it polished up beautifully, so I sure don't mind a couple hours labor and a sack of 3M weatherstripping to save $1000.

I noticed the lower trim under the vent/quarter window is also shadowline, and even though ~$100 per side is more reasonable, I just can't get past paying $200+ for two pieces of weatherstripping that should be around $30-40. I have two pieces of the matte OEM rubber weatherstripping for this area, and I was originally thinking I could cover it in vinyl shadowline, or paint it in Jet Black to match my body color. But, in looking at the shadowline lower trim piece, I'm wondering if it is possible to just remove the shadowline trim and attach it to the matte rubber piece. It looks like that may be what is done at the factory.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!

Salty

That’s unfortunately going to be a negative, Ghostrider; you’re not going to be able to lift the old trim without ruining it, as it’s held on very well. I had the same dilemma as you, but luckily just on one side. I ultimately bit the bullet and bought the replacement piece. Wrapping the matte piece in vinyl is an interesting idea, although I’m not sure how well it would adhere. I’d think painting it could ruin the rubber. On a positive note, that piece actually has nothing to do with keeping water out, and is only for wind noise.

SaltyNC
01-08-2018, 07:41 PM
That’s unfortunately going to be a negative, Ghostrider; you’re not going to be able to lift the old trim without ruining it, as it’s held on very well. I had the same dilemma as you, but luckily just on one side. I ultimately bit the bullet and bought the replacement piece. Wrapping the matte piece in vinyl is an interesting idea, although I’m not sure how well it would adhere. I’d think painting it could ruin the rubber. On a positive note, that piece actually has nothing to do with keeping water out, and is only for wind noise.

I just saw your reply. Sorry about that. Thank you for the info. Dang, that's a bummer. I have some 3M adhesive remover and some plastic razor blades. I'm going to give it my best shot, but I suspect it will not go as I want it to go, but hey, never hurts to try, eh?

Salty