PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for best radio upgrade

pedro2u
12-15-2017, 07:41 PM
I've got all winter to think about upgrading the radio in my vert. I've watched lots of videos about adding the Aux cable to get my iPhone to work and charge, but it would seem after 12 years there'd be an HD, Bluetooth, Aux head single DIN option that would be close to plug and play (with adapter cables) for this Business CD Radio in my dash. Any suggestions to modernize this? I'd like to keep the red character lighting in the unit so that it would still look original to match the OEM radio and dash lighting. And I don't want to cut any cables so I'd have the option to pop the original unit back in later (a long time from now) assuming that even mattered to a new owner

Appreciate your thoughts

bandwagn
12-15-2017, 08:11 PM
The AUX cable is a very easy and inexpensive addition.

Not sure that there are many 'factory-look' single DIN units - the Avin/Eanon/etc are double din units that match the factory NAV space and look.

pedro2u
12-16-2017, 05:26 AM
Thanks bandwagn. The Aux cable sits at the top of my list, but I'm thinking that if/when I inevitably upgrade from my iPhone 6 and go to one of the iPhone 7's or higher models that no longer even use an audio plug I'll be right back to this same question. Think of what your mobile phone looked like in 2005 vs today, then imagine what it might be in just 2 or 3 years from now. I'm thinking having built-in Bluetooth in a single DIN radio is the only common technology to our current generation and possibly next generation phones, so I'd hope to have that technology in the dash without ruining the factory look

Maybe that's a stretch...........

az3579
12-16-2017, 07:42 AM
The iPhones that don't have aux jacks come with Lightning-to-aux adapter cables, don't they?
There are no single DIN units that look factory. If you want a factory look, you'll have to buy one of the double-din units that are made to look like the factory nav unit.

pedro2u
12-16-2017, 02:36 PM
You're right az3579. Just did the research I should have done before. CNET said:

A Lightning-to-3.5mm dongle

Let's get this one out of the way first, because it seems to draw the most ire from readers. Apple thankfully includes a Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter in the box to make the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus compatible with "legacy" headphones. The catch is a single-port dongle means you can't charge the phone and listen to music at the same time, but guess what? Belkin already released a $40 Lightning splitter to solve that problem, too.

Aux cable may be the easiest route.............

ELCID86
12-17-2017, 02:37 PM
I have an iPhone 7 and use my Aux Jack with a Bluetooth adapter. Works great. Supports phone call too.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171217/91c7fed043bd4375e597f605a413025a.jpg

pedro2u
12-17-2017, 02:56 PM
thanks ElCID86. That sounds perfect. I assume you can hide it out of site if you want? Reviews for phone call quality aren't that good but are great for Bluetooth streaming which is all I'm looking for. And I can't imagine even attempting hands free calling in a convertible............

ELCID86
12-21-2017, 05:42 PM
thanks ElCID86. That sounds perfect. I assume you can hide it out of site if you want? Reviews for phone call quality aren't that good but are great for Bluetooth streaming which is all I'm looking for. And I can't imagine even attempting hands free calling in a convertible............

It would be easier to hid if the six jack were in the glove box or behind the door under the radio... Mine is on the button panel...
(A shorter charger cable would help too...(red).)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171222/6d331b4cd83b9bacf5fe0b9033da7c26.jpg

pedro2u
12-21-2017, 05:57 PM
From your picture, looks like you installed your audio jack to the left of your passenger heated seat button. I have room there even with the extra convertible top controls and heated seats. That looks really clean.

ELCID86
12-21-2017, 06:21 PM
From your picture, looks like you installed your audio jack to the left of your passenger heated seat button. I have room there even with the extra convertible top controls and heated seats. That looks really clean.

Yes that’s it. Clean except for the wires... I wish I’d put it behind the sunglasses? Storage door so I could close it up.

pedro2u
12-21-2017, 07:03 PM
and you can't permanently conceal the SoundBot because you need to push the button each time you get in the car. Yes?

KevinC
12-21-2017, 09:30 PM
I've been wanting to upgrade the infotainment in my ZHP since Day 1, almost 6 years ago. The perfect solution for me doesn't quite exist yet - it would be a CarPlay-based unit, with at least one real knob (volume/power), that supports wireless CarPlay, so that the phone wouldn't have to be plugged every time the car is entered. SiriusXM streaming is now supported by CarPlay as of a couple of weeks ago, so no need for a Sirius tuner, and you can stream at up to 320 kbps, FAR better than the satellite stream. And it has to have a reasonable price tag, unlike some of the current CarPlay solutions.

All of this Android-based stuff looks interesting, and the various models that mimic a stock appearance are nice to a point, but they all have their quirks, and they aren't minor ones. I can't go that route.

I await the ultimate solution. It will happen sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.

ELCID86
12-22-2017, 06:29 PM
and you can't permanently conceal the SoundBot because you need to push the button each time you get in the car. Yes?

The control unit/mic has to stay exposed. I end up having to unplug/replug the usb power in order to get the BT to connect (not sure if it would eventually connect or not, but I’m impatient).