PDA

View Full Version : Power steering fix kit

Oli77
11-24-2017, 02:46 PM
I have a nice leak coming from bottom pressure hose connecting to oil pressure cooler, right next to bottom of expension tankk. Noticed oil under car and low volume in power steering réservoir.

I also have a sweating hose for that weird U-shaped line that leaves the power steering pump.

My réservoir is OK it seems.

Two sets of questions if I buy this kit:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/power-steering-service-kit/32416774215kt1/

How easy is the job? Need special tool? Are the banjo bolts at the power steering easily reached?

And second set, do you recommend this set, or are independent lines, crush washers, transmission fluid, etc... The way to go?

Love to hear Mafia knowledge.

Vas
11-24-2017, 03:04 PM
I personally think the fcp euro kit is nicer.

But you will need a quick disconnect tool to remove the lines next to the radiator. They are a push in style connector.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Oli77
11-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Yes I see this tool seems like a need. No way to do the job without it.?

The FCP kits is cheaper without the fluid and looks like I have to reuse the banjo bolts.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-power-steering-kit-complete-e46-e46pskit2

Oli77
11-26-2017, 05:56 PM
Bump.

Would like to know the impressions of others who have done this job. Easy to reach those bolts on the rack?

Vas
11-27-2017, 07:06 AM
Yes I see this tool seems like a need. No way to do the job without it.?

The FCP kits is cheaper without the fluid and looks like I have to reuse the banjo bolts.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-power-steering-kit-complete-e46-e46pskit2

I just picked up 2 bottles of Redline D4 ATF for the power steering fluid. Used the old banjo bolts since the kit came with the new crush washers.

As far as the lines, they are not difficult to remove. I struggled with the ones going into the cooler and should have gotten the tool. Ended up just cutting the lines and then using various tools to compress the fitting to release them.

Sockethead
11-27-2017, 12:36 PM
You definitely need the tool for the fittings unless you enjoy swearing at your car in frustration...
I've only swapped two of the lines but the ones on the rack don't look too bad unless they are rusted on there. You'll probably want to have a flare nut wrench for those.

Oli77
11-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Beautiful beautiful information you guys are the best. I will pick up that tool then. I am currently looking up what a flange nut wrench looks like...

Thanks a lot guys. I will soon get on this I hope and will report back. Seems easy enough.

Vas
11-27-2017, 05:15 PM
Beautiful beautiful information you guys are the best. I will pick up that tool then. I am currently looking up what a flange nut wrench looks like...

Thanks a lot guys. I will soon get on this I hope and will report back. Seems easy enough.Be warned. Fluid will be everywhere.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Oli77
11-27-2017, 05:36 PM
I can imagine. Will start with the lowest point I guess.

Mless5
11-27-2017, 05:41 PM
Quick disconnects are useless - they will crack as soon as you look at them funny. I always slice the metal sleeve with a grinder and use pliers to "open" them up.
Not sure why CHF is included, ATF is all you need.
Do swap out the reservoir as it contains the non replaceable filter.

John in VA
11-27-2017, 07:00 PM
I am currently looking up what a flange nut wrench looks like.
Don't know if you read it wrong or if auto-fill took over, but you might be looking for flare nut wrench - very handy for brake lines, too.

slater
11-27-2017, 07:19 PM
Don't know if you read it wrong or if auto-fill took over, but you might be looking for flare nut wrench - very handy for brake lines, too.

+10000.... could not do brakes well if i didn't have a flare nut wrench!

Oli77
11-28-2017, 06:50 PM
I did read it wrong, thanks guys. Looking into those flare nut wrenches.

Oli77
12-29-2017, 02:40 PM
Ready for some help. I have no problem placing the disconnect tool around the power steering hose at top of the power steering coolant coupling.

I can move the hose back about one inch, and then that's it. Very difficult to pull on that hose.

Do I need more force to completely get the hose off the coolant nipples?

Oli77
12-29-2017, 04:15 PM
OK so this is an important part for future users of the quick connect tool.

Insert the tool as around the hose and connection to cooler, pull back about an inch, AND REMOVE THE TOOL!. Then, and only then, will the hose disconnect and fluid will rush out!

Managed to do the job. Only replaced the one hose that was leaking (tight on $$).

I also did not use the flange wrench, I used a 22mm socket, replaced the crush washers too.

BMWCurves
12-30-2017, 12:36 AM

Insert the tool as around the hose and connection to cooler, pull back about an inch, AND REMOVE THE TOOL!. Then, and only then, will the hose disconnect and fluid will rush out!

Managed to do the job. Only replaced the one hose that was leaking (tight on $$).

I also did not use the flange wrench, I used a 22mm socket, replaced the crush washers too.

Thanks for the info! I need to replace my power steering hoses at some point (they're weeping), and this will be helpful.

Sockethead
12-30-2017, 09:44 AM
+1
I replaced the low pressure hoses but still have to do the high pressure side

JohnnyGraphic
12-30-2017, 10:55 AM
Diving in to a full PS system replacement this weekend.

AM1GO
05-01-2019, 06:20 AM

helpful, tnx.

Oli77
05-01-2019, 05:04 PM
Happy to help and thanks for the comment.

I wasted a long time with that tool around the hose pulling and bitching. Then I wasted more time on the internet to look around about how to do it and found the answer so I thought to share the knowledge.

Pretty easy job I thought.

JohnnyGraphic
05-04-2019, 09:04 AM
Happy to help and thanks for the comment.

I wasted a long time with that tool around the hose pulling and bitching. Then I wasted more time on the internet to look around about how to do it and found the answer so I thought to share the knowledge.

Pretty easy job I thought.

I tried to do the job without the hose tool, the way the 50’s Kid showed on his video. But I just could not get it to come off. Watched and rewatched it to no avail. Finally saw somewhere about the tool. Found it online and had it shipped. Meanwhile the car sat.

Once I got it, it still took about ten times longer than it should have since I didn’t know to take the tool OFF the hose once you get it moving about an inch or so. After that, it was a breeze. That $12(?) tool was invaluable.

I replaced the whole PS system, hoses, clamps and the pump too. At 145k, I didn’t want to dive into it again and replace the other parts piece by piece as they failed. The leak had actually killed my alternator so that got replaced too.

Didn’t have a need for any special tools. The other bolts were easy enough to access.

I love this crowd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oli77
05-04-2019, 10:45 AM
I love this crowd!

That's cause we all love this car!