PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom of the forum needed.

zak
11-16-2017, 03:28 PM
Hey gang, I could use a little of the wisdom of the forum. I recently hit a deer with my new to me 2004 ZHP ci and it looks like it will be totaled. I had to leave it at the body shop in a small town in wyoming, “I live in North Dakota”, and await my insurance companies aduster to look at it and i will get there offer. The body shop has a peliminnary estimate of $9800. The car still runs but leaked antifreeze. The radiator and support moved back but not against the motor.
So my dilemma is if i should buy it out and haul it home and fix it myself with used parts, or buy it and part it out, or let it go to salvage yard. I read thru a few of the part outs here and it seemed like thing moved fairly well.
It will need a hood and driver front fender, headlights, radiator and support and a bunch of the plastic bits up front.

Questions I have now are what years and models could I find parts that would fit my car? If there is an easy answer.

I will try to post some pics.

How did I end up here? The car was my brothers some of you might remember him on here as MrMaico.

My brother Barry passed away on January 11th from pancreatic cancer. He beat prostate cancer and an open heart bypass, but that type of cancer is just such a nasty s--t to overcome.
So I am his little brother by 5 years so growing up I was the little tag along. Both of my bothers were into motorcycles and that meant I was also. So they always had to take me riding when they went. They always had cool bikes and cool cars. Barry's first was his 2002 which we drove out to the coast and cruised the 101, we did it again in his 320i. On one trip in the 2002 I was driving and I said to Barry we got a beemer closing in on us, his reply... don't let them pass us! We were in some twisties in the Redwoods, so it was run rabbit run! That 320 chased us for quite some time... what a blast! Finally let them go by and.... it was a gal driving that other beemer, she was fast!
That is when I got my affection for the coast and have been up and down it many times for a guy from ND.

Ten years ago we all got closer again when Barry got me into Adventure bikes, Our oldest brother had a new place in the Black Hills of South Dakota, a mecca for offroaders and road enthusiasts.

Barry introduced me to Advrider, and I joined a forum, my first, so this is the second forum for me.
NooB alert..

Ive read thru some of Barrys post and this sure does feel like the friendliest forum on the web. I will keep this thread up to date as I know more and hopefully I will start a build thread if everything works out.

TIA , Scott..... brothers nicknamed me zak when I was little so I used that here.

Thanks DW for the help with my acc.

What do you guys think... fix it?

Yelkos
11-16-2017, 05:31 PM
Welcome Zak, thats a great story and some greater memories.
Fix it! there is more than enough knowledge on this forum to help you get it back on the road where it belongs.

Vas
11-16-2017, 05:46 PM
Scott, I think you should have it fixed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Oli77
11-16-2017, 06:17 PM
Welcome Zak. Very sorry to hear about your brother. With a sad story like this, I would think keeping the car would be a strong possibility. I know nothing about fixing this damage though, just thinking with my emotions.

Oltorf
11-16-2017, 08:07 PM
I'm fixing up a car that has almost the same damage as yours. Honestly, it's not that hard, and when you have the front end apart it's pretty easy to do some longevity type upgrades. You may have a body shop check to see if the body is bent before you commit to fixing it, though. Mine was straight so it's just a matter of taking off the busted stuff and putting good stuff on.

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. My aunt died of pancreatic cancer and it's a very fast moving disease and it's hard when it happens so quickly like that.

Good luck.

slater
11-17-2017, 03:35 AM
welcome scott/zak! :)

that definitely is an easy fix... take the money, buy it back, and enlist the help of forum members for parts/advice. there are folks parting out cars here, so you should easily be able to get everything you need.

looks like you need:

- rad support
- rad (buy a new OEM one)
- expansion tank (buy a new OEM one)
- electric cooling fan? is it damaged?
- left headlight
- left fender
- left headlight undertrim
- hood
- grilles
- likely some broken plastic bits around the headlight area

i may have a rad support, but shipping might be a bit expensive from canada. regardless, you can do this! should be a day in total to repair once you get all of the parts. :)

Karl Lazlo
11-17-2017, 05:05 AM
Welcome, zak - Great story.

Easy fix, but this is coming from a guy who brought an M3 back to life with more damage than that. I vote keep.

Hornung418
11-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Definitely an easy fix. All front end and no frame damage it seems. Glad to have you aboard, Scott. I definitely remember talking to Barry about vintage motorcycles and enjoyed his conversations.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

zak
11-17-2017, 01:12 PM
Thanks everyone, I definitely have an emotional attachment to this ride and I am still sick over what happened and having to leave it where it is. The car is very clean and never driven in the winter, always garaged, the interior is like new.
I have been looking up parts online and feel I could put it back together for half of what the parts quoated at the body shop.

Can anyone point me to build threads where the front end is apart?

zak
11-17-2017, 01:30 PM
welcome scott/zak! :)

that definitely is an easy fix... take the money, buy it back, and enlist the help of forum members for parts/advice. there are folks parting out cars here, so you should easily be able to get everything you need.

looks like you need:

- rad support
- rad (buy a new OEM one)---
- expansion tank (buy a new OEM one)
- electric cooling fan? is it damaged?
- left headlight
- left fender
- left headlight undertrim
- hood
- grilles
- likely some broken plastic bits around the headlight area

i may have a rad support, but shipping might be a bit expensive from canada. regardless, you can do this! should be a day in total to repair once you get all of the parts. :)

One day to put it back together sounds like i could do it in a week then.:biggrin Thanks for the offer and support.
So stay OEM where you stated?
On the fan i cant tell if it took a hit everything is pushed back to far to tell, it leaked antifreeze after the hit.
The other hedlight has a tab broken that i can see, are there an aftermarkets that are worth looking at.
Radiator support isn't too expensive.
Air box is toast, but the carbon lid was fine.

ZHPizza
11-17-2017, 01:45 PM
If the headlights are Bixenon, then you definitely don't want to go aftermarket. You can pick up a used set off a car that got rear-ended.

The lid of the air box is the important part! Glad it survived as I don't see it in the pics. That's the BMW Performance intake that is a very rare commodity. I believe it uses the standard air box bottom part, so you can easily replace that from any junkyard 330.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/bmw-performance-air-intake/13720432306/

zak
11-17-2017, 01:59 PM
If they headlights are Bixenon, then you definitely don't want to go aftermarket. You can pick up a used set off a car that got rear-ended.

The lid of the air box is the important part! Glad it survived as I don't see it in the pics. That's the BMW Performance intake that is a very rare commodity. I believe it uses the standard air box bottom part, so you can easily replace that from any junkyard 330.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/bmw-performance-air-intake/13720432306/

Thanks for that info, i know very little about what Barry did to this car so if you guys see anything aftermarket that i should take note of let me know.
Bixenon? dont know for sure but I would not rule that out he spaired no expence on his car.
Looks like my car in your sig.

Hornung418
11-17-2017, 04:12 PM
Thanks for that info, i know very little about what Barry did to this car so if you guys see anything aftermarket that i should take note of let me know.
Bixenon? dont know for sure but I would not rule that out he spaired no expence on his car.
Looks like my car in your sig.

31443Bixenon was standard from the factory on ZHP coupes.

BMWCurves
11-17-2017, 04:29 PM
Bixenon was standard from the factory on ZHP coupes.

I'm about 95% sure it was still an $800 option for coupes. It just happens that most people bought it. It was definitely an option on my car.

Oltorf
11-17-2017, 04:37 PM
i took the whole front end off on my build thread :) it's not very hard:

take the bumper cover off (look up you youtube video on how to do this)

remove the 3 bolts on each side that hold the bumper support to the frame

remove 2 bolts on the radiator support on each side to the frame

disconnect all the electrical connections to the headlights, horns, etc

pull away from the car.

it's pretty easy.

az3579
11-17-2017, 05:43 PM
Bixenon was standard from the factory on ZHP coupes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TapatalkXenon was still an option. I was shocked when I found that out too, considering the projectors.

When Ian bought his Monaco ZHP coupe, it had halogens. Sure enough, the VIN confirmed it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

droman81
11-17-2017, 06:29 PM
That strut brace is worth a pretty penny as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hornung418
11-17-2017, 06:32 PM
Xenon was still an option. I was shocked when I found that out too, considering the projectors.

When Ian bought his Monaco ZHP coupe, it had halogens. Sure enough, the VIN confirmed it.

Sent from my Pixel using TapatalkUnderstood. My point was that those lights aren't an aftermarket purchase.

droman81
11-17-2017, 06:35 PM

So if you don’t end up keeping the car make sure you pull that off!

Oltorf
11-17-2017, 09:33 PM
Handy video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bMvy7gXE8c&list=WL&index=18

danewilson77
11-18-2017, 04:42 AM
Scott, welcome.

I won't talk to much here as we talked a bit via email. I will say it's great to have you on board.

If the car holds the sentimental value I think it does, You're going to want to buy it back and make the repairs.

We can help you along with it.

Sent from my S8+

zak
11-18-2017, 08:01 AM

Yup, I see they are still getting a good price.

zak
11-18-2017, 08:02 AM
Handy video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bMvy7gXE8c&list=WL&index=18

Thanks for that, looks easy enough.

zak
11-18-2017, 08:10 AM
Thanks for all the offers of help I am sure i will need it. I am hitting up my friends now looking for a car trailer.

As for the headlights are there any identifying marks to tell what I have. Will a VIN check have any answers?

ZHPizza
11-18-2017, 08:18 AM
Looks like Bixenon based on the voltage warning label above the headlights. I have the same thing. They're wonderful, adaptive (peek around corners) lights that you'll want to replace with a used pair. Shouldn't be hard to find and we can definitely help you track down a set.

Also, I just pulled off the bumper on my car and remembered how stupid easy it is. Remove the belly pan (loosen the 7 x #3 phillips screws and drop it down. You'll need a small 8mm socket to to remove three screws on each fender liner, two on the bottom, one just inside the fender. Then a female torx (I actually use a 3/8" socket without issue) to remove the two long bolts going up through the bumper shocks. Disconnect the fog lights and horns as you slide the whole bumper cover forward and off the car. Easy peasy.

My current situation may give you an idea of what's underneath:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171118/209331853d2793c0a0c2e7728664cc7a.jpg

zak
11-18-2017, 08:39 AM
Nice I get to see a few more of the plastic bits that are gone on mine. I still have Barry's jack stands, looks like they will come in handy.

zak
11-20-2017, 02:25 PM
So the insurance company called today here are the #s they will send me a check for $6494.06 my $250 deducted, with a buyback of $1000.

When I look at NADA for this car i come up with $7500

It will cost them $1700 to haul it to a Copart, and i think Copart will pay them $2000 for it.

Open for any advice on dealing with the insurance company on getting a better price. Never totaled anything before. not a happy guy....

joeybananaz18
11-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Ive only been here for a few months and I can tell you this is by far the best on-line community I've ever been a part of. The veterans on here can help you get that back on the road quickly.

Take off your coat. Stay a while.

johnrando
11-20-2017, 08:30 PM
:roundel

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

zak
11-21-2017, 05:50 AM
:roundel

? No idea what a dancing roundel means.

edit; must be let the song and dance with the insurance company begin...haha

Yelkos
11-21-2017, 07:48 AM
So the insurance company called today here are the #s they will send me a check for $6494.06 my $250 deducted, with a buyback of $1000.

When I look at NADA for this car i come up with $7500

It will cost them $1700 to haul it to a Copart, and i think Copart will pay them $2000 for it.

Open for any advice on dealing with the insurance company on getting a better price. Never totaled anything before. not a happy guy....

Start with asking the insurance company how they come up with their valuation on the car.
look for comparible ZHP's currently for sale to argue your point.

So you are lookng at $5244.00 in hand once the car is bought back?
should be able to fix it if you do most of the labor yourself

good luck
good luck.

zak
11-21-2017, 10:05 AM
Well, much better news! They have just offered me $8000.
I will be picking the car up and hauling it home soon.
So I will let this thread drift off, and start my repair.
Thanks everyone for the support, I know having a NooB join your forum with nothing but questions and no contribution feels like. I will try to make up for it.

slater
11-21-2017, 10:22 AM
Well, much better news! They have just offered me $8000.
I will be picking the car up and hauling it home soon.
So I will let this thread drift off, and start my repair.
Thanks everyone for the support, I know having a NooB join your forum with nothing but questions and no contribution feels like. I will try to make up for it.

congrats, that is good news! :)

definitely feel free to lean on us for help! :cheers

Sockethead
11-21-2017, 10:33 AM

No need to apologize my friend... everyone one here was a NooB too at one time! We're all looking forward to helping you get the car back in shape :)

danewilson77
11-21-2017, 10:35 AM
No need to apologize my friend... everyone one here was a NooB too at one time! We're all looking forward to helping you get the car back in shape :)+1

Good deal.

Let us know if you need anything.

A lot of us have spare stuff (perfectly fine) laying around that we'll most likely never use.

Sent from my S8+

Sockethead
11-21-2017, 10:46 AM
yes! Post for anything you need... even the small stuff... I know I have boxes of of misc. stuff laying around

slater
11-21-2017, 11:08 AM
likewise... i have lots of stuff.

Kris
11-21-2017, 11:28 AM
I have grilles and a roundel you can have, let me know.

Yelkos
11-21-2017, 11:34 AM
Great, I look forward to seeing your progress

zak
11-21-2017, 02:07 PM
I have grilles and a roundel you can have, let me know.

Hang onto the grills for sure, roundel I think is still ok.

Once I get it home I will have a better idea of what it will take.

Vas
11-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Looking forward to a project thread

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Oltorf
11-21-2017, 09:17 PM
Nice! you can fix it up and have some left over with that insurance money.

zak
11-23-2017, 04:12 PM
Nice! you can fix it up and have some left over with that insurance money.

Yup, performance mods?

On the road to pick it up tomorrow.

zak
01-23-2018, 01:18 PM
I have the car home now and starting to hunt for some parts to get it back together.

I am looking at this M3 that is close to me... Differences on the M3 to my 04 330ci ZHP? Question, will it work? Do i need to buy the hood both fenders and the front too get everything to line up?... https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/pts/d/e46-m3-part-out/6452568799.html

Fix it thread.. http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?21100-zak-s-04-330ci-ZHP-fix-it-project

Vas
01-23-2018, 01:41 PM
M3 parts like fenders, hood, lights wont work on your facelift zhp. Unless you plan to convert the front of the car to resemble the M3

704sw
01-23-2018, 01:49 PM
What he said^^

zak
01-23-2018, 02:49 PM
Thanks, will I get shunned if I put those m3 parts on my ZHP.:ducking
The price is right for almost everything I need.

danewilson77
01-23-2018, 02:51 PM
Thanks, will I get shunned if I put those m3 parts on my ZHP.:ducking
The price is right for almost everything I need.you won't get shunned if you eventually put an S54 in it...

:waldo

zak
01-25-2018, 08:13 PM
Ok wise guy point me to the proper swap thread so I can stew on this...:biggrin
Ya know the NooB needs to be spoon fed...
Just read thru one on a 325i sedan at e46fanatics and that was a bit much.

zak
02-01-2018, 03:54 PM
Hey I've been searching till my eye bled for a good thread on a s54 swap in a 04 330 Ci zhp.
Anything out there?
Sonds like it may be the easiest one to do it to.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk