PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Ball Joint Service Kit....FCAB's?

WALSTIB
10-04-2017, 05:26 PM
https://www.harborfreight.com/ball-joint-service-kit-for-2wd-and-4wd-vehicles-63258.html

Does anyone know if this will work or has anyone used the above press to do FCAB's
I remember a thread that I think was on E46F that someone had used this for RTAB's and diff bushings but never really said if it would work for FCAB's. It's normally $100.00 but they have it on sale this month for $60. I've been watching for it to go on sale since I read the mentioned post and if it will do FCAB's I'll pick one up for certain.

san
10-05-2017, 09:13 AM
I don't think you can use this for FCABS but you can rent a 3 jaw puller from auto zone for free for the FCABS DIY...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danewilson77
10-05-2017, 09:35 AM
I don't think you can use this for FCABS but you can rent a 3 jaw puller from auto zone for free for the FCABS DIY...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk+1

I made a small pin punch in the end of my control arm, then I use a 3 jaw puller. Works flawlessly.

Sent from my S8+

Johnmadd
10-05-2017, 10:48 AM
But, getting the new on is always a pain in the ass for me. Do you guys have any tricks/tips for that?

Sockethead
10-05-2017, 11:05 AM
dish soap to get it back on the control arm. Slippery enough to get it on there then drys out for a tight grip.

OP: if you mean something to press the bushing out of the bracket, I'd recommend a hydraulic press. I've heard it's a bitch to get those out. I always replace the whole thing for that reason. However, I have the ball joint press you speak of and it works great fro RTAB. If I remember right, there isn't enough room to fit tool where it needs to go to do the rear diff bushing...

danewilson77
10-05-2017, 11:44 AM
But, getting the new on is always a pain in the ass for me. Do you guys have any tricks/tips for that?
dish soap to get it back on the control arm. Slippery enough to get it on there then drys out for a tight grip.

OP: if you mean something to press the bushing out of the bracket, I'd recommend a hydraulic press. I've heard it's a bitch to get those out. I always replace the whole thing for that reason. However, I have the ball joint press you speak of and it works great fro RTAB. If I remember right, there isn't enough room to fit tool where it needs to go to do the rear diff bushing...Yep. I used dish soap and a tiny amount of water and lubed up both surfaces liberally. Popped right on.

Sent from my S8+

WALSTIB
10-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Yes I meant to press the old bushings out in case you wanted to install Power Flex or something like that. I've used a hydraulic press as well as a Sawzall before to press the old bushings out.