PDA

View Full Version : Why the ZHP's Replacement is Italian

kayger12
09-17-2017, 06:26 AM
First off-- don't worry-- I'm not selling the ZHP. But as my friends know, I've been on the hunt for something to supplement her and take over primary duties going forward.

Two reasons I wanted something new: 1) I've been in the ZHP for over 7 years now and was looking for an updated ride; 2) I want to keep the miles down a bit on ol' Jersey Graphite so she lasts in this world longer than I do.

My search involved tons of research, lots of test drives, and lots of text message exchanges with Marc (zhpnsnv), who is an invaluable voice of reason emanating from a brain of extensive car love and knowledge. I drove the BMW stable-- M235i, M2401, 3 series including the 340i, 4 series... I drove the Jaguar XE, the Porsche Macan, Audi A4/5...

At the end of the day, while I came across some nice interiors, intoxicating power, and modern gadgets, I was left with the undeniable conclusion that none of them drove as well as my 12 year old BMW. So the search continued. Until...

The car caught my eye immediately-- and she kept popping up in every article. She was at the top of Car and Driver's entry luxury car ranking. The Alfa Romeo Giulia.

I read up on the early reliability stumbles and software glitches. I read about the terrible lease support from the manufacturer. Ultimately, I pushed her out of my head and resumed the search.

But I kept coming back. I found myself watching the videos-- loving the exterior-- enamored with the interior design. So I finally went and took one for a drive. And what a drive it was. She was an absolute blast to drive, and-- truly-- the first car to put a smile on my face like the ZHP. I told myself that the lease wasn't worth it, but a week later I was back to drive her again-- and this time I wouldn't leave without her.

As I sit here 1K miles later, I am convinced that the Giulia is the modern equivalent of the ZHP. When you look at her on paper-- there's nothing special about her (sound familiar?). But, man, when you put all of those non-special parts together, she just makes you giddy. She's comfortable on the long drive, but eagerly rises to the task when you aggressively hit the twisties. She turns heads like the ZHP. You get the distinct feel when you look at her, sit in her, and drive her, that she was designed by people who LOVE driving and made a car for themselves as much as the company would allow.

At the end of the day, I'll borrow a long-held ZHP description to describe my new Italian love-- she's greater than the sum of her parts.

danewilson77
09-17-2017, 09:46 AM
That's awesome KG. Congrats. I've been trying to sell Morgan on one of these for a while. As well as a Maserati.

Sent from my S8+

BMWCurves
09-17-2017, 10:08 AM
Congrats! They are great looking and sounding cars from the few I've seen.

webster
09-17-2017, 10:12 AM
Congrats! Love your story. More pics!!

derbo
09-17-2017, 11:20 AM
I love it sir!! :)

BADCLOWN
09-17-2017, 03:24 PM
Every time I see one of these driving I always stare a little extra longer. I love the fully loaded ones with all the goodies, interiors look nice, and if they are lowered I guarantee they would look unreal.

holyc0w
09-17-2017, 03:37 PM
I've been keeping my eye on this. The Quadrifoglio looks mighty impressive, but the regular version seems to hit the right balance. 280HP/306 ft-lb torque seems like a pretty good spot for a modern day ZHP too.

I was thinking this might be the best modern replacement. Out of BMW's current line-up, I'm only interested in the i8 and 2 series. Have any more thoughts to share on what's missing in the 2 series?

John in VA
09-17-2017, 04:33 PM
I was thinking this might be the best modern replacement.

It's had a lot of great press, but has exhibited the all-too-familiar AR reliability issues. Here's hoping the warranty & local dealer keep KG's on the road!

Wisco
09-17-2017, 04:33 PM
I've been keeping my eye on this. The Quadrifoglio looks mighty impressive, but the regular version seems to hit the right balance. 280HP/306 ft-lb torque seems like a pretty good spot for a modern day ZHP too.

I was thinking this might be the best modern replacement. Out of BMW's current line-up, I'm only interested in the i8 and 2 series. Have any more thoughts to share on what's missing in the 2 series?

I crossed shopped a M240/M228 against Scarlett and Scarlett won because:

1) Better overall driving dynamics. Sure the M240i had a beast of an engine, but it felt heavy and lumbering at time.

2) Back seat. Sure the 2-series has a back seat, but we're talking a pre-teen or smaller child can fit... not my 6 foot tall high school senior daughter.

3) Trunk

So practicality and fun factor won... and perhaps a Giulia is on my list in a few years when all the kids are finally out of the house.

ELCID86
09-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Congrats Keith. I wouldn't have even thought about that one. Glad you did!

Looking forward to updates.

slater
09-18-2017, 05:07 AM
congrats, keith! i've loved the aesthetics and design criteria for this car since it was launched - would love to drive one! i pine for the quadrifoglio but i'd be happy with the Ti with the LSD, active suspension and sport seats. :)

how is the turbo 4? (sound, power delivery, etc)

san
09-18-2017, 05:13 AM
Congrats! The giulia looks so big next to the Zhp in the second pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayger12
09-18-2017, 05:16 AM
That's awesome KG. Congrats. I've been trying to sell Morgan on one of these for a while. As well as a Maserati.

Sent from my S8+
Thanks, brother! Maseratis on the showroom floor were gorgeous.

Congrats! They are great looking and sounding cars from the few I've seen.
Thanks!

Congrats! Love your story. More pics!!
Thanks, sir. Working on pics.

I love it sir!! :)

Thanks!

kayger12
09-18-2017, 05:22 AM
Every time I see one of these driving I always stare a little extra longer. I love the fully loaded ones with all the goodies, interiors look nice, and if they are lowered I guarantee they would look unreal.

Definitely could use lower. The AWD sits even higher than the RWD

The 2 series power was fun, but I couldn't get passed the steering. Just numb and disconnected. Missed the ZHP every corner or curve I hit.

It's had a lot of great press, but has exhibited the all-too-familiar AR reliability issues. Here's hoping the warranty & local dealer keep KG's on the road!

So far, so good. A lot of the reported issues early on were tied to software glitches and were corrected. At the end of the day, though, she's a first year production car and Italian at that-- so you have to expect some issues.

I crossed shopped a M240/M228 against Scarlett and Scarlett won because:

1) Better overall driving dynamics. Sure the M240i had a beast of an engine, but it felt heavy and lumbering at time.

2) Back seat. Sure the 2-series has a back seat, but we're talking a pre-teen or smaller child can fit... not my 6 foot tall high school senior daughter.

3) Trunk

So practicality and fun factor won... and perhaps a Giulia is on my list in a few years when all the kids are finally out of the house.

Heavy and lumbering is a good description.

kayger12
09-18-2017, 05:28 AM
Congrats Keith. I wouldn't have even thought about that one. Glad you did!

Looking forward to updates.

Thanks, my friend!

congrats, keith! i've loved the aesthetics and design criteria for this car since it was launched - would love to drive one! i pine for the quadrifoglio but i'd be happy with the Ti with the LSD, active suspension and sport seats. :)

how is the turbo 4? (sound, power delivery, etc)

I'm loving it. She could use some more sound-- it's a little muted. Power delivery is pretty good in dynamic mode. In normal mode, the lag is more noticeable. Once you're rolling, she feels strong (passing, powering out of a corner), but punching it from a dead stop, you know you're not in the Quad, lol.

Congrats! The giulia looks so big next to the Zhp in the second pic.

Thanks! She looks bigger but fortunately doesn't drive bigger.

daytona90t
09-18-2017, 06:23 AM
Great car and great heritage! I have a 1991 164 sitting in my car port that has been in my family since 1994. I absolutely loved that car for years and put about 80,000 miles on it while it was my daily driver. It was a really advanced car for it's time and has unbelievable driving characteristics for a front wheel drive sedan.
With the Giulia I was glad to see Alfa finally make its way back into the US market and with a car that recaptures their true heritage and driving dynamics. With a 1 year old and a 100,000 mile maintenance related work on both my ZHP and X3, I haven't driven my Alfa much in the last year, I hope to get working on and driving it again soon though. Congratulations and enjoy!

kayger12
09-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Mike Duff from Car and Driver: "In profile, it looks as if it’s trying to be an Italian E46 BMW."

Hornung418
09-19-2017, 05:38 AM
Great car and great heritage! I have a 1991 164 sitting in my car port that has been in my family since 1994. I absolutely loved that car for years and put about 80,000 miles on it while it was my daily driver. It was a really advanced car for it's time and has unbelievable driving characteristics for a front wheel drive sedan.
With the Giulia I was glad to see Alfa finally make its way back into the US market and with a car that recaptures their true heritage and driving dynamics. With a 1 year old and a 100,000 mile maintenance related work on both my ZHP and X3, I haven't driven my Alfa much in the last year, I hope to get working on and driving it again soon though. Congratulations and enjoy!I saw a really clean 164 Quattro Formaggio here in Baltimore. Never new they were a thing. Friend had a Milano...inboard brakes can suck a fat one.
Mike Duff from Car and Driver: "In profile, it looks as if it’s trying to be an Italian E46 BMW."

3107831079Boy it certainly looks great from all angles, KG! Congratulations!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

John in VA
09-19-2017, 06:07 AM
Rear hood & fender top lines are more F30-ish, to me.

daytona90t
09-19-2017, 06:57 AM
I saw a really clean 164 Quattro Formaggio here in Baltimore. Never new they were a thing. Friend had a Milano...inboard brakes can suck a fat one.Boy it certainly looks great from all angles, KG! Congratulations!

Baltimore is home to the DiFatta Brothers garage http://www.difatta.com/ legends in the Alfa community. I believe that the owner Giovanni has a 164Q, I wonder if the car you saw was his? I last purchased some parts from them a few years ago, they are a very valuable resource in the Alfa community.

kayger12 if you haven't already you should check in at the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board http://alfabb.com/ a great community of Alfa owners. I spent a lot of time on there back in my Alfa project days and met a number of great Alfa enthusiasts.

Sockethead
09-19-2017, 07:01 AM
Congrats Keith, cool car! Never would of thought of one of those. Glad to see you're keeping the ZHP!

Hornung418
09-19-2017, 07:08 AM
Baltimore is home to the DiFatta Brothers garage http://www.difatta.com/ legends in the Alfa community. I believe that the owner Giovanni has a 164Q, I wonder if the car you saw was his? I last purchased some parts from them a few years ago, they are a very valuable resource in the Alfa community.

Had to have been! That shop is 3 miles from my house on Belair Rd. I've driven by it so many times. I'll stop by and look at some cars!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kayger12
09-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Boy it certainly looks great from all angles, KG! Congratulations!

Thanks, brother!

kayger12 if you haven't already you should check in at the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board http://alfabb.com/ a great community of Alfa owners. I spent a lot of time on there back in my Alfa project days and met a number of great Alfa enthusiasts.

Will do-- thanks!!

Congrats Keith, cool car! Never would of thought of one of those. Glad to see you're keeping the ZHP!

Thanks, Rob!

derbo
09-19-2017, 01:43 PM
Super jelly. If I could keep the ZHP, I would've. I had to make room for my new car..

zhpnsnv
09-19-2017, 03:01 PM
You did the process right and ended up with an awesome car. Can't wait to see it and go for a ride. Modern day zhp? High praise indeed, but you know what I'm gonna say: she needs a third pedal!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kayger12
09-19-2017, 05:36 PM
Super jelly. If I could keep the ZHP, I would've. I had to make room for my new car..

Totally get it. I question the wisdom sometimes when I think about the ZHP comfy in the garage while the spanking new Alfa is sitting in the weather out front.

You did the process right and ended up with an awesome car. Can't wait to see it and go for a ride. Modern day zhp? High praise indeed, but you know what I'm gonna say: she needs a third pedal!!! :)

I can't wait to hear your thoughts after you drive her. Agreed on the third pedal-- but, man, that era is quickly coming to an end. It's going to get harder and harder to find one. For now, the paddle shifters in manual mode at least give me some level of additional input and control.

That's a big part of the reason I kept the ZHP. I want to ensure I always have a gearbox to row.

fredo
09-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Well done, sir. Believe it or not, I've not seen a similar Alfa here in Austin TX. I think there's not a local dealer. BTW, your zhp and mine share the same license plate (diff states, of course). :thumbsup

Oli77
09-19-2017, 06:06 PM
Congrats Keith! Looks very nice.
Pics of interior when you have a chance.

ryankokesh
09-20-2017, 12:13 PM
Wow, congrats! So jealous!

kayger12
09-21-2017, 06:24 AM
Well done, sir. Believe it or not, I've not seen a similar Alfa here in Austin TX. I think there's not a local dealer. BTW, your zhp and mine share the same license plate (diff states, of course). :thumbsup

Good stuff, my friend.

Congrats Keith! Looks very nice.
Pics of interior when you have a chance.

Thanks!

Wow, congrats! So jealous!

Thanks! Time for some tires, though-- the Bridgestone Turanzas are like driving on hockey pucks. Needs some Michelins.

johnrando
09-27-2017, 03:39 PM
Wow, congrats! They sure are purdy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kayger12
09-27-2017, 03:42 PM
Wow, congrats! They sure are purdy.

Thanks, Rando!!

orange260z
09-30-2017, 12:52 PM
Hey Keith, congrats! They are a sweet looking car in the pics, have yet to see one in person around here. How's the assembly quality and interior materials?

kayger12
09-30-2017, 04:17 PM
Hey Keith, congrats! They are a sweet looking car in the pics, have yet to see one in person around here. How's the assembly quality and interior materials?

Thanks! Assembly quality is very good. Zero issues. I love the interior. With the exception of some blah plastic around the shifter, the interior has nice, soft-touch materials. The leather seats and stitching are great (Italian leather, ftw). Overall, I think it's a really well done interior (although I could do without the generic Chrysler parts bin knobs).

zhpnsnv
10-02-2017, 09:58 AM
This thread needs interior pictures.

danewilson77
10-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Thanks! Assembly quality is very good. Zero issues. I love the interior. With the exception of some blah plastic around the shifter, the interior has nice, soft-touch materials. The leather seats and stitching are great (Italian leather, ftw). Overall, I think it's a really well done interior (although I could do without the generic Chrysler parts bin knobs).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProAhem!

Sent from my S8+

kayger12
10-02-2017, 05:13 PM

Ahem!

Sent from my S8+

I'll get on it! Need a daylight hour when I'm not working...

danewilson77
10-02-2017, 05:23 PM
I'll get on it! Need a daylight hour when I'm not working...Lol. I. Know you're busy Bro. We don't forget though....

Sent from my S8+

kayger12
10-03-2017, 03:02 AM
Lol. I. Know you're busy Bro. We don't forget though....

Sent from my S8+

And I love you for it :wub

az3579
10-03-2017, 08:12 AM
And I love you for it :wub
And still no pics. :foottap

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

az3579
10-03-2017, 08:54 AM
Just came across this article. Good to know the Giulia is safe-as-hell.
https://jalopnik.com/the-alfa-romeo-giulia-conquered-iihss-toughest-crash-te-1819106826

zhpnsnv
10-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Good. It'll keep our buddy safe.

joeybananaz18
10-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Just came across this article. Good to know the Giulia is safe-as-hell.
https://jalopnik.com/the-alfa-romeo-giulia-conquered-iihss-toughest-crash-te-1819106826

I sent it to my wife earlier, in hope that alot of those safety qualities carry over to the stelvio. She was at the presidents cup on business checking it out. I hope it shook her from a CR-v mentality.

The PO of my car actually replaced it with a Giulia. Must be something there.....

az3579
10-03-2017, 07:20 PM
I hope it shook her from a CR-v mentality.

Pfft. Good luck with that... people who want SUVs want SUVs. Hard to convince them otherwise.

slater
10-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Pfft. Good luck with that... people who want SUVs want SUVs. Hard to convince them otherwise.

to be honest, i didn't care about them until i owed the montero. it's handy for people who need the capabilities. i've gone off roading, towed cars, driven through massive snow drifts, thrown mountain bikes in the back, and carried 7 people on many occasions. and the visibility is pretty great.

the X3 is here and the montero is going away, and while you don't sit up quite as high, the X3 is a lot higher than the Touring and my wife likes that. the visibility is pretty good. i can tow 4000lbs with it.

joeybananaz18
10-04-2017, 03:59 AM

The stelvio is the SUV. Albeit, a very very stylish and fashion forward SUV.

joeybananaz18
10-04-2017, 04:08 AM
I saw a really clean 164 Quattro Formaggio here in Baltimore.

I lol'd thinking that might be the best auto correct of all time- quadrifoglio to 4 cheese lol

danewilson77
10-04-2017, 07:21 AM
I lol'd thinking that might be the best auto correct of all time- quadrifoglio to 4 cheese lol:rofl

Sent from my S8+

Hornung418
10-04-2017, 07:23 AM
I'd be lying if I said I didn't do it on purpose [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

holyc0w
10-04-2017, 07:51 AM
LOL

kayger12
10-08-2017, 07:28 AM
For the Stelvio fans...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJYLxEg8hHE

kayger12
10-08-2017, 07:38 AM
Promised interior shots:

webster
10-08-2017, 10:21 AM
gorgeous. i love how minimalist and "driver-centric" the cockpit is. reminds me of the ZHP - no coincidence i'm sure.

kayger12
10-08-2017, 11:59 AM
gorgeous. i love how minimalist and "driver-centric" the cockpit is. reminds me of the ZHP - no coincidence i'm sure.

Exactly. So many things remind me of the ZHP. She's like a modern incarnation.

I told Marc yesterday that I have zero desire to drive the ZHP right now. She's that good.

I felt like a bad person saying it, but it's true.

Hornung418
10-08-2017, 12:03 PM
I don't like the seats. Dig the flat bottom steering wheel tho!

danewilson77
10-08-2017, 12:05 PM
Love the pics Keith. Wish the bolsters were a bit deeper.

Sent from my S8+

kayger12
10-08-2017, 12:22 PM
I don't like the seats. Dig the flat bottom steering wheel tho!

Love the pics Keith. Wish the bolsters were a bit deeper.

Sent from my S8+

Good pickup by two of my favorite peeps. I went conservative with the base Giulia. Seats were one of the compromises.

The Ti has a sport seat option that gives you the deeper bolsters.

Hornung418
10-08-2017, 12:25 PM
Wow! Those are nice looking!

danewilson77
10-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Good pickup by two of my favorite peeps. I went conservative with the base Giulia. Seats were one of the compromises.

The Ti has a sport seat option that gives you the deeper bolsters.

31215Yes!

Sent from my S8+

kayger12
10-08-2017, 12:40 PM
Wow! Those are nice looking!

Good stuff, right? I think 2019 will see me in the Quadrifoglio. It's just spanking everything...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGAU7aFMFwQ

Oli77
10-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Very tasteful interior! Thanks for the pics and the video links.

fredo
11-10-2017, 10:58 AM
I spotted a Giulia today, first time for me. Looks very nice.

Sockethead
11-10-2017, 01:03 PM
I have no idea how to pronounce the name of that car but it always makes me think of this, sorry :)

http://aliljoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Mrs-Julia-Gulia-250x140.png

BMWCurves
11-10-2017, 01:42 PM
It's pronounced "Alfa Romeo Googliaboo"

kayger12
11-11-2017, 06:33 AM
I have no idea how to pronounce the name of that car but it always makes me think of this, sorry :)

http://aliljoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Mrs-Julia-Gulia-250x140.png

:rofl My friends often refer to it as my "Julia Goolia".

Soft G (Jool-ee-a)

Sockethead
11-28-2017, 01:06 PM
2018 Motor Trend Car of the Year: the Alfa Romeo Giulia.

kayger12
11-29-2017, 09:49 AM
2018 Motor Trend Car of the Year: the Alfa Romeo Giulia.

Great write up that hits the nail on the head-- good and bad.

“There is sorcery in this car,” road test editor Chris Walton says. “The Giulia fills the space vacated by BMW. Yet even at the apex of its reign, a 3 Series never rode this well or cornered with such poise and precision simultaneously.”
http://www.motortrend.com/news/alfa-romeo-giulia-2018-car-of-the-year/

kayger12
11-29-2017, 03:11 PM
And now a Car and Driver 10 Best
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/2018-10best-cars-the-best-cars-for-sale-in-america-today-feature-alfa-romeo-giulia-giulia-quadrifoglio-page-2

danewilson77
11-30-2017, 03:34 PM
And now a Car and Driver 10 Best
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/2018-10best-cars-the-best-cars-for-sale-in-america-today-feature-alfa-romeo-giulia-giulia-quadrifoglio-page-2Damn KG. Winning everywhere.

And BTW.... We all owe KG a big congratulations on becoming Barnegat's new Chief of Police.

You, my friend, are awesome!

:thumbsup

:waldo

johnrando
11-30-2017, 03:35 PM
:hashbrowns

d-rod
11-30-2017, 04:37 PM
What a great looking vehicle. The only thing I just do not like is that shifter, looks terrible and out of place.

fredo
11-30-2017, 06:27 PM
Congrats, KG !

3ZHP
11-30-2017, 06:53 PM
I’m a little late but, congrats Keith! I must say that the new Alfa did catch my attention at Nashville Cars n Coffee. Starting on my 12th year with my ZHP in a few weeks; I always wonder when and what will replace it.

The wife is on her 4th Bimmer in that time and I’m now on my 2nd 4x4 as a DD and nothing has has come close to my ZHP.

holyc0w
11-30-2017, 08:26 PM
Congrats Chief!

san
12-01-2017, 02:46 AM
Congrats on the promotion!

ELCID86
12-02-2017, 08:03 AM
Whoa. I missed that tidbit. Congrats Chief Keith! I now know two of you. One of my college classmates is CoP in Beaufort, SC.

kayger12
12-03-2017, 07:07 AM
Damn KG. Winning everywhere.

And BTW.... We all owe KG a big congratulations on becoming Barnegat's new Chief of Police.

You, my friend, are awesome!

:thumbsup

:waldo

Thanks, brother! Life is grace and timing. Better to be lucky than smart!

kayger12
12-03-2017, 07:08 AM
Congrats, KG !

Congrats Chief!

Congrats on the promotion!

Whoa. I missed that tidbit. Congrats Chief Keith! I now know two of you. One of my college classmates is CoP in Beaufort, SC.

Thanks gents!! Much appreciated.

kayger12
12-03-2017, 07:16 AM
What a great looking vehicle. The only thing I just do not like is that shifter, looks terrible and out of place.

Agree 100%. It really is the worst part of the interior.

I’m a little late but, congrats Keith! I must say that the new Alfa did catch my attention at Nashville Cars n Coffee. Starting on my 12th year with my ZHP in a few weeks; I always wonder when and what will replace it.

The wife is on her 4th Bimmer in that time and I’m now on my 2nd 4x4 as a DD and nothing has has come close to my ZHP.

I still love the ZHP and I'm glad I kept her, but the Alfa is imo a very worthy replacement. Lack of manual trans notwithstanding, I prefer the driving experience in the Alfa. They got so much right with this car.

If I had to choose between the two at this point, the ZHP would be gone in a NY minute...

ELCID86
12-03-2017, 07:22 AM
If I had to choose between the two at this point, the ZHP would be gone in a NJ minute...

Fixed.

kayger12
12-03-2017, 07:25 AM
Fixed.

:rofl:thumbsup

danewilson77
12-03-2017, 07:31 AM
Any possibility for modding the shifter?

kayger12
12-03-2017, 07:39 AM
Any possibility for modding the shifter?

You can buy some CF shift trim, but you're still stuck with that ugly matte plastic at the base.

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/481-alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio/19978-cf-shifter-trim-install.html

I'm just going to hope it's resolved when I go pick up my 2020 model in a couple of years :biggrin

joeybananaz18
12-04-2017, 03:52 AM
Wow so no bmw on the C&D top 10. Is this the first year the streak is over?

san
12-04-2017, 04:40 AM
Wow so no bmw on the C&D top 10. Is this the first year the streak is over?

First time since 1991 I think.

joeybananaz18
12-04-2017, 10:34 AM
That's what I thought. If that's the case, it's nice to know that the ZHP is right at the midpoint of that. Makes it seem like after the e46, things went downhill.

Johnmadd
12-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Congratulations on the promotion Keith :thumbsup

GreatFrog
12-05-2017, 09:58 PM

Can't agree more! the profile proportion really echoes with E46's spirit. Came across one example of this beauty on display in Austin the other day. I never thought I would be so much interested in an Alfa, but man, that stance really caught my eyes. Especially the rear, very well executed, just as BMW did with E46, but in different ways. Inevitably, the lines are more sophisticated, as with every modern car nowadays, but I found them not overwhelming and complement the sportiness of the car pretty well. I have to say, she looks much much more attractive in person than in pictures.

And that's when I saw it in the night, not being able to get a clear peek at the interior. The interior pictures you posted really add to the full package, making it a seriously desirable car, at least for me. Great choice for a DD, KG! Congrats!

kayger12
12-06-2017, 03:06 PM
Can't agree more! the profile proportion really echoes with E46's spirit. Came across one example of this beauty on display in Austin the other day. I never thought I would be so much interested in an Alfa, but man, that stance really caught my eyes. Especially the rear, very well executed, just as BMW did with E46, but in different ways. Inevitably, the lines are more sophisticated, as with every modern car nowadays, but I found them not overwhelming and complement the sportiness of the car pretty well. I have to say, she looks much much more attractive in person than in pictures.

And that's when I saw it in the night, not being able to get a clear peek at the interior. The interior pictures you posted really add to the full package, making it a seriously desirable car, at least for me. Great choice for a DD, KG! Congrats!

Well stated!

Thanks, sir!

ELCID86
03-13-2021, 05:16 AM
@kayger12 are you still driving this? Thoughts a few years later?
(Hi guys! [emoji1366])

kayger12
03-13-2021, 05:46 AM
@kayger12 are you still driving this? Thoughts a few years later?
(Hi guys! [emoji1366])

Hey Shawn. Turned her in after the two year lease. I absolutely loved every minute in that car. Never had a problem with her. Hated to see her go.

I still have the company car for DD duties and put around 2k a year on the zhp.

If I went for another new ride, the Alfa would still be at the top of my list.

ELCID86
03-13-2021, 05:57 PM
Hey Shawn. Turned her in after the two year lease. I absolutely loved every minute in that car. Never had a problem with her. Hated to see her go.

I still have the company car for DD duties and put around 2k a year on the zhp.

If I went for another new ride, the Alfa would still be at the top of my list.

Thanks for the feedback, Keith. I’m looking for something. Leaning towards a Cayman, but the wife is saying I need something more practical with four doors….

Stay safe out there.

san
03-13-2021, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Keith. I’m looking for something. Leaning towards a Cayman, but the wife is saying I need something more practical with four doors….

Stay safe out there.

How about a zhp Shawn? [emoji51]

orange260z
03-14-2021, 07:28 AM
Hey Shawn, long time since I've posted something here but...

Caymans (?Caymen?) and Boxsters are surprisingly practical if you don't NEED the back seat and doors - they actually hold quite a bit of luggage/groceries/Costco. And my Carrera has the additional flexibility of carrying 1 adult in the back for short drips when needed.

In my experience owning these Porsches for the last 16+ years the biggest ongoing expenses are depreciation and tires.

If you buy the right ~5 years or more old car, depreciation can be reduced (if a DD) and eliminated (if more occasional use). 987/997 cars are now appreciating and provide a nice balance of modern reliability, performance and convenience while offering the "small" look and feel, NA flat-six motors, and a more raw/less isolated experience compared to the 991/981.

As long as you are running 17-19" wheels and don't need "the best" tires, you can knock the tire cost down quite a bit... although these cars eat rear tires for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Although there are lots of cars that beat the Porsche sports cars on paper and in stats, IMHO there nothing that combines the performance, driving feel, driving focus, and DD practicality of these cars.

ELCID86
03-14-2021, 11:30 AM
Hey Ayan old friend. I stop by here every once in a while to check in on the family too.

Yeah I drove a 981 last week and swung by the house to see if suitcases and clubs fit. And they do!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210314/5cf96295ee10aebb0d447a9ea4fc496d.jpg

My clubs even match!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210314/4545f373cb0de53cb6cda65d19bfd188.jpg

Got two decent bags in the Frunk as well. Right now we have a dog (~16, so not sure how much longer he’ll be around...). The good news is Kim didn’t get sick on the short , but spirited test drive. A longer trip thru the mountains may end with a different result... sh said she could probably over come that by being behind the wheel! Ok, if that’s what it takes!!

Good point on the tires hadn’t thought of that. It does seem like most maintenance can be DIY and there is quite a bit of content on the forums and YouTube.

orange260z
03-14-2021, 12:27 PM
That is a nice match, I think it's a "buy me!" sign!!!!! If the car has the beige dash top be aware that the reflection can be pretty bad, US beige Porsche owners got free polarized sunglasses after a class-action lawsuit.

Before the kids, Sonia and I took some 1-2 week trips in the Boxster - it's amazing how much we could fit in there using soft duffel bags! Although the 911 has a bigger overall capacity in the rear seat and parcel shelf area, the trunk/hatch of the two-seaters are definitely more convenient. Sonia used to enjoy driving that car.

Maintenance - 15K kms/annual oil change, brake fluid every two years, spark plugs every 4-5 years (really just to keep them from getting seized). In 6 years I had two things go wrong in the Boxster - the ignition key switch (a plastic $5 Audi part, 15 minute job once you take 6 hours to figure it out!) and the driver's side heated seat element. That was it over about 6yrs/60K kms I put on after I bought the car 5yrs old with 15K kms coming off lease at a Porsche dealer. I also went through 4 pairs of rear tires and 2 pairs of fronts.

My experience with the 911 has been about the same, but I bought the car with higher mileage (60K kms) and have put on less (~30K kms in 6 years). Carrera S brake pads/rotors/service kits/sensors are pretty pricey, particularly if you go OE or OEM; but they last a long time. PDK clutch oil at 5yrs/100K kms was somewhat expensive as it requires the dealer computer to cycle valves.

I've switched from the original Michelin PS2 to the Conti ECS, and I expect much longer life out of these tires. The new-gen Michelins (PSS, PS4S) are similarly long-life. The 305/30R19 rears are quite expensive here in Canada, the Michelins are ~$600 each. I think the 981s use a 265/35R19 which is much less expensive.

I'm glad you got to take one on an extended test drive, I think you need to drive one to "get it", much like the ZHP.

ELCID86
03-14-2021, 03:15 PM
I’d like to find a car out of town and is both fly out and drive it back. Too risky??

The tires are 19s on the S car. 235/30 and 265/40.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210314/cc768f8d01e35bd52347c0a3652167d0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210314/938792c7585af79de1d1c107163faea1.jpg

Brake pad and rotor kit options:

F $300/R $480

And I’d heard the Cayman PDK fluid service could be DIY. Not sure if a laptop with SW is needed. KO

ELCID86
04-01-2021, 04:30 PM
Well, I ended up in “another” German brand. I never thought I’d own a Coupe, but here we go!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210402/2d9f1bb3e61a6666611316eaa99d7e99.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210402/d3cdbf2f5ada12f2b6137efcd7e97e7d.jpg

cakM3
04-01-2021, 04:32 PM
Well, I ended up in “another” German brand. I never thought I’d own a Coupe, but here we go!

Congrats Shawn and I think you will enjoy driving this beautiful white machine :drevil

fredo
04-01-2021, 04:33 PM

Congrats, man ! Please share details with us (year, model, miles, etc).

ELCID86
04-01-2021, 04:37 PM
Congrats, man ! Please share details with us (year, model, miles, etc).

Thanks Fredo. 2014 Cayman, PDK with 30k mi. I’m pretty psyched.

joeybananaz18
04-01-2021, 04:45 PM
That’s awesome congrats!

3ZHP
04-01-2021, 05:28 PM
Very Nice! Congrats.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone Xs using Tapatalk

johnrando
04-01-2021, 06:22 PM
Beauty, congrats!!!!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Will
04-01-2021, 09:55 PM

Niiiiiiiiice!!! Please keep us updated with your thoughts and impressions.

Edit: yeah, I'm a big fan of P-cars.

t.er
04-01-2021, 09:58 PM
Congrats Shawn, beautiful car!

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

san
04-01-2021, 10:21 PM

Congrats Shawn!

np6000
04-02-2021, 06:16 AM
I had to sign back in after many years of being dormant. Glad to see this forum is still active and still rich in knowledge and experience.

Congrats on your new ride, it is going to be a blast.

A short anecdote. My old man was an auto journalist when I was growing up. One week he had both a 996 and a Pontiac Firebird T/A Ram Air from the press fleet. On paper the specs were about the same - hp, 0-60, 1/4 mile times, etc.

I would sum it up like this: In the T/A, you were just along for the ride. The car was a complete brute with lot of power and what felt like not a lot of control. I remember my dad looping the car making a left turn at a traffic light on a wet day...

The 911 on the other hand was telepathic. Steering - you think it and the car will do it. The body control was crisp without being harsh, clutch take up feel made you think the clutch was actually connected to something. Brakes were sharp and powerful without being grabby. The only let down was the shifter, but I'm judging it against S2000's and Miata's. Even most FWD Honda's of the time had better shift action and feel.

We had press ZHP about 2-3 years later and the driving experience was similar, though my opinion is that the P-cars do it better in most (all?) of the metrics one would use to evaluate a vehicle.

330i Lover
04-04-2021, 06:17 AM

Beautiful choice!! Enjoy for all of us and keep posting.

BMWCurves
04-04-2021, 10:51 AM
Congratulations on the new car, Shawn! I'm very envious!

We had press ZHP about 2-3 years later and the driving experience was similar, though my opinion is that the P-cars do it better in most (all?) of the metrics one would use to evaluate a vehicle.

You dare blaspheme the holy ZHP name? How uncouth!

But I totally get it. Took a spin in a friend's father's Porsche a few months back. I love my ZHP, but there's a reason Porsches are heralded as some of the best sports cars that money can buy.

ELCID86
04-09-2021, 02:07 PM
Thanks all. Now I know why Charlie has had both P-car and ZHP ! Another former Mafia member posted up on Planet-9 forum too!

Enjoying so far (and don’t expect that to change). First mod complete (clear side markers)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210409/3827a0529b70ea881f041531a89352a3.jpg

And first maintenance performed (wow, those are not easy to get to).

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210409/fb9c056103099bd5b8d6a374023b3b67.jpg

cakM3
04-09-2021, 03:53 PM
Thanks all. Now I know why Charlie has had both P-car and ZHP ! Another former Mafia member posted up on Planet-9 forum too!

Enjoying so far (and don’t expect that to change). First mod complete (clear side markers)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210409/3827a0529b70ea881f041531a89352a3.jpg

no has had anymore Shawn... I have a ZHP (again) and Pcar and I'm glad to see you're enjoying your Pcar so much! :)