PDA

View Full Version : Rust Advice ZHP

A1Gio2
09-01-2017, 10:19 AM
I bought an 05, clean 55k mile ZHP a couple of months ago. Washing the car yesterday, I noticed some light rust on the driver side quarter panel arch. I want to take care of the issue, so I got an estimate at a local body shop. I was quoted to prep and repaint the entire QP, blend the rear door, and respray the rear bumper while we're at it. I was quoted $900...

My question is, is it worth it? I want to say yeah given the low mileage and overall very nice condition of the car. I am also trying to budget for repairs and maintenance. Spent $2000 last month for tires, alignment, all fluids, and fuel, air, cabin filters.

Vas
09-01-2017, 10:29 AM
Fix the rust before it spreads.

John in VA
09-01-2017, 10:30 AM
A more descriptive thread title would help other members find the topic at hand.
You don't say where you are located, but that estimate is not out of line for bodywork here in the Washington DC area. I was quoted $600-800 just to respray the rear bumper cover. Do it, as rust only gets worse.

BMWCurves
09-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Fix the rust before it spreads.

+1 rust will never get better with time.

A1Gio2
09-01-2017, 12:32 PM
I'm located in NY. My concern is, will the rust come back in 3 months? The rust now is minimal, and I won't be driving this car in the winter. I have a beater for the NY/NJ salty winters. Obviously rust work is never gauaranteed, I just wanted to know if it's worth spending that kind of coin. I believe that QP was painted already at some point and maybe some galvanizing was removed during that process leading to the rust I see today.

I don't see any other rust, anywhere on the car at this point. I'd hate to fix the QP and have the other side rust or have the rust return. This is my conflict and why I'm seeking the advice of the forum.

az3579
09-01-2017, 12:56 PM
Rust is like cancer. Bodywork is like remission. It may go away for now and come back, or it may be gone forever. Nobody knows. The only difference between rust and cancer is that with rust, there is no chance of it going away on its own; it only gets worse, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly.

Whether it's worth spending money on is entirely up to you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Vas
09-01-2017, 01:04 PM
Is the rust to the point where there is perforation in the metal? If that is the case, then the old metal has to be cut out and new metal put in place.

If it is just surface rust, it can be fixed by grinding down to the bare metal, applying self etching primer, and then paint/clear. If done correctly, rust will not be an issue in the future.

Post a pic

A1Gio2
09-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Rust is minor and surface rust only. It's on the lower arch, affecting the area from where it meets the molding on the bottom to about 5 inches up the arch. I don't think it's any worse than that or anywhere near rotted.

This is a great looking car and I'd say it's in great condition with the exception of this issue and the bumpers needing to be retouched.

A1Gio2
09-01-2017, 03:06 PM
I am unable for the life of me to upload a pic on this site. I've tried every way. Is there a posting amount restriction?
If I email it to someone can they post it for me?

BMWCurves
09-01-2017, 09:05 PM
I often just upload an image to imgur.com. You don't need an account to do so, and once the photo is uploaded via drag-and-drop, under "sharing links" it produces BB Code that works on this forum.

ELCID86
09-03-2017, 06:05 AM
I am unable for the life of me to upload a pic on this site. I've tried every way. Is there a posting amount restriction?
If I email it to someone can they post it for me?

You tried going "advanced" and using the paper clip? Use Tapatalk on your phone and upload that way?

A1Gio2
09-03-2017, 09:01 AM

Looks like Tapatalk will do the trick. I'm posting the images of the rust for reference. Couldn't find any other areas of rust around the car. Also posting a pic of the overall condition of the car, which I consider to be very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vas
09-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Based on those images have the rust fixed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Newjack
09-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Based on those images have the rust fixed.

Yeah just have it fixed man. The sooner the better.

When I first bought my car I noticed a rust bubble inside the passenger door sill - Right where the door closes and the water gathers? Someone must have nicked the paint there just hard enough to allow moisture to get in. Took it to a body shop down the street who stripped the paint, removed the rust and resprayed it. No one is the wiser and my car is safe.

Ask around for a good body shop if you don't have one. I have a great mechanic in Maryland who I trust.

Sreten
09-03-2017, 01:12 PM
Definitely get it fixed. Doesn't look too bad.

Here's a scary one from Germany to motivate you!

https://s26.postimg.org/3l5qg0rll/image.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/ekqxrmi0l/)

Prestovie
09-05-2017, 03:36 PM
On the topic.. what's your guys' opinion on this?
Starting to develop on the crown on the underside of the hood https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170905/6c659d8cb7b3a3ad284822073f699cb7.jpg

Vas
09-05-2017, 04:39 PM
Starting to develop on the crown on the underside of the hood https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170905/6c659d8cb7b3a3ad284822073f699cb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat can be cleaned up and touched up.

704sw
09-05-2017, 04:53 PM

That can be cleaned up and touched up.

+1. Check the top of that lip (behind the grilles) also. I had flaked paint and rust in the same spot as you. I personally just masked it off, sprayed it with rust converter, and then a coat of rubberized undercoat to keep water from getting back to it. I did that to a spot on the bootlid too. Given the location, and knowing it's in a place where literally no one will ever look, I was much more concerned about function than aesthetics.

Prestovie
09-10-2017, 06:14 PM
+1. Check the top of that lip (behind the grilles) also. I had flaked paint and rust in the same spot as you. I personally just masked it off, sprayed it with rust converter, and then a coat of rubberized undercoat to keep water from getting back to it. I did that to a spot on the bootlid too. Given the location, and knowing it's in a place where literally no one will ever look, I was much more concerned about function than aesthetics.

I'll try and get to it this coming weekend, thanks for the input. It's not seen often so I'll go same route with function over aesthetics

A1Gio2
10-31-2017, 12:12 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171031/93a0115a77b04321ba8c305637541b70.png.

I ended up having mine repaired.

Reasoned1
10-31-2017, 02:45 PM
Yeah, get it fixed and, then, get yourself a beater to drive through the the winter, and baby that gorgeous car. It’ll last you forever that way.

holyc0w
03-27-2019, 05:50 AM
My car is turning into a rust bucket with rust popping out on the rear arches and front rocker panel. I was quoted a few thousand to fix it. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice? At first, I was thinking of fixing it, but then I had second thoughts.

san
03-27-2019, 05:59 AM
My car is turning into a rust bucket with rust popping out on the rear arches and front rocker panel. I was quoted a few thousand to fix it. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice? At first, I was thinking of fixing it, but then I had second thoughts.

How much do you think your car is worth? If the repair cost is a large % of that then I don’t think it makes it worth it unless you plan to keep the car for a very very long time...

holyc0w
03-27-2019, 07:11 AM
How much do you think your car is worth? If the repair cost is a large % of that then I don’t think it makes it worth it unless you plan to keep the car for a very very long time...

It's probably worth ~$7,000, so it would be a large percentage. I was planning on keeping the car for a bit of time. Also, I'm not sure I would want to drive it around with all the rust if it wasn't repaired.

If the repair was done, it would probably be a good idea to throw it on summer duty and find a winter car. And I wasn't planning on doing that for a while.

704sw
03-27-2019, 07:13 AM

Did you already do the subframe reinforcement? If yes I’d probably address the rust.

Reasoned1
03-27-2019, 02:19 PM
That amount of visible rust guarantees much more invisible rust. Invest your money in a different, rust-free ZHP, and use the rust- bucket through the next winter.

az3579
03-28-2019, 06:09 AM
Yeah, unfortunately rust is really pricey to fix. If it was on an easily replaceable panel, such as a fender (that can be found in the same color, no less), then that's a different story. But, places such as the rear arches requires cutting it out and welding on new metal, which gets pricey.

For a dollar-coin sized hole on my E39's side skirt (which is metal, part of the body), it's going to cost almost a grand to fix. On a car that cost $2k.
Whether it's worth it is entirely up to you, but you have multiple spots unfortunately.