PDA

View Full Version : Finally found the ZHP I was looking for...

pgiorgio
07-29-2017, 09:12 AM
I had a 2005 330ci vert 6 speed gray with gray interior which I loved, but wanted an Imola red with tan interior ZHP vert 6 speed. It took me a year to find one so I pulled the trigger. The car had 101000 miles and a spotty service history but ran well and was overall in pretty good condition so I took a chance and I flew down to Maryland and drove it 500 miles (one tank of gas) back to Cape Cod. It ran very well and I was very impressed. I took the car to an independent service shop that specializes in BMW/Mercedes and had their version of a PPI done (I guess it really isn't a true PPI if you have it done AFTER you buy it but I took a chance). The following is a list of what they found and the cost to fix them. The prices include OEM parts and labor. On this, and other sites I've seen many DIYs but I'm not very good with a wrench, so I have to have someone else address any car issues that I have. I plan on keeping the car long term and want to keep maint up and knew the car would need some work. I'd be interested in any comments about the need for, and the prices they quoted me for the work they say the car needs. Thanks in advance.

In the first month three amber lights came on together-skid control, brake,low tire pressure. They read the codes and said it was the steering angle sensor. They turned the lights off and said they would probably come back on but they haven't yet. I'm going to wait for the lights to come back on but their price to fix steering angle sensor is:

Steering angle sensor...$700
Booster Vac Hose... $110
Lower intake boot...$160
Leaking fan switch/change coolant...$219
Fuel filter(they said it was never replaced)...$215
Control arm support bushings...$366
Front sway bar links...$175
4 wheel alignment...$135

They said other common areas of concern were Vanos, coolant system valve cover gasket...said all were in good shape.

fredo
07-29-2017, 12:15 PM
That vert looks very sharp, congrats ! I'll let others chime in about the list of repairs. But I can tell you my Indy charges $189 for an alignment, so I would think those prices are decent (for a shop).

btw, that interior seems to be the coveted natural brown. :thumbsup

John in VA
07-29-2017, 01:57 PM
... so I would think those prices are decent (for a shop).
Some are, some are a bit excessive, but if you don't do your own work, but trust the shop, maybe they can help you on the price for the entirety of the work.
Congrats on finding the one you were after!

BMWCurves
07-29-2017, 02:18 PM
Congrats on the pick up!

melonz
07-29-2017, 07:13 PM
Dang, Imola Red on a vert looks awesome.

Congrats!!!

slater
07-29-2017, 07:17 PM
Congrats on the new vert! Looks great.

Those prices seem really high, even factoring in labor. When I am in front of a PC I will comment more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

704sw
07-29-2017, 07:28 PM
Man, Imola and Natty Brown look awesome together!

Those prices seem really high, even factoring in labor. When I am in front of a PC I will comment more.

I agree, those seem high. The front links would seem like a good place to save a little money even for someone not comfortable with wrenching. That's a really easy one, and links from a company like Febi are very inexpensive.

Edit: OP are you talking front control arm bushings? $366 seems outrageous (to me). Up on a lift that shouldn't be more than an hour of labor, and you can get Lemmy bushings already in the lollipops for $79 at FCP.

holyc0w
07-29-2017, 07:46 PM
I had a quote of $470 for a steering angle sensor, which even accounting non genuine parts leaves a bit of room to get to $700. Fuel filter change was ~$120.

webster
07-30-2017, 11:09 AM
The prices are high but not excessive. Congrats on the new ZHP!

slater
07-30-2017, 05:38 PM
Steering angle sensor...$700
Booster Vac Hose... $110
Lower intake boot...$160
Fuel filter(they said it was never replaced)...$215
Control arm support bushings...$366
Front sway bar links...$175
4 wheel alignment...$135

They said other common areas of concern were Vanos, coolant system valve cover gasket...said all were in good shape.

OK... back at a PC.

- steering angle sensor: i've had steering angle sensor codes on 2-3 E46s that i've worked on, and simply recalibrating the steering angle sensor and clearing the stored code has cleared up the issue - the software and cable would run you $40, and it's worth a shot before replacing it (case in point - had this issue on my Touring, and have put 20K KMs on the car since recalibrating - no issue since).

- booster vac hose: no way this is $110 for part + install. what's wrong with your current hose? this is a robust piece.

- lower intake boot: $20 part, 30min labor max.

- leaky fan switch: $20 max. takes 5min to swap, maybe 10ml coolant loss on a cold engine. coolant flush/refill is 1hr job, and a jug of OEM coolant + jug of distilled water will run you $30.

- fuel filter: $50 part, 30min job on a hoist.

- control arm bushings: front bushings? as others have said, $80 for OEM bushings pre-pressed into the housings, 45min job MAX on a hoist.

- front swaybar end links: likely no more than $50 for febi units, maybe $60 for lemfoerder (OEM). 10min per side to swap including taking the wheel off.

- alignment: well, a good alignment is worth $135.

re: the cooling system... if he said it was in good shape, could he tell that components were replaced recently? at 100K miles, it's due for coolant hoses, expansion tank, t-stat, water pump, and idler pulleys. might as well replace the two belts as well while you're in there.

overall - sounds like you might need a second opinion... at those prices i'm afraid it sounds like you're being taken for a ride. or.... perhaps a Friendly Nearby Wrench-Handy 'Mafioso (FNWHM) can help you out and save you about $1500.

:cheers

anandoc
07-30-2017, 06:14 PM

Thats a load of crap. The part is extremely cheap ($15 - $40 depending on whether you get a OEM or Genuine BMW part) and replacing it on a cold engine takes 2 minutes and spills zero coolant. I just did this a month ago.

Vas
07-31-2017, 10:55 AM
Personally I think those prices are high. I would find another shop or DYI with the help of the members on this forum

Oli77
07-31-2017, 05:55 PM
Lovely car.