PDA

View Full Version : Trunk harness cable repair wiring set / advice needed

melonz
05-24-2017, 04:53 PM
I've noticed for the past few months that the cables leading into my trunk have started to bend and break. First it was the interior lights that went out which wasn't a big issue. However I can not release the trunk with the trunk release button nor my key-fob button anymore and the trunk open light comes on intermittently.

Looking on realoem I found p/n 61116943602 / Repair wiring set rear right (link (https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=EV53-USA-02-2004-E46-BMW-330i&diagId=61_1237)) with a list price of $550.75. :eeps

Has anyone ordered or seen this in person? Is it just unplug the old harness and plug the new one in? Would this be the right part to correct this?

Also if someone that has fixed their wiring without the repair kit could share what wires they used (gauge, type) and how long it's been since the repair I'd greatly appreciate it. Even better would be a detailed DIY.

Thanks!

anandoc
05-24-2017, 05:47 PM
A common issue on older E46s. Here is a video DIY of a guy who solders the wires together. It seems they are 20AWG wires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ui9tLtTxXc

melonz
05-24-2017, 06:34 PM
A common issue on older E46s. Here is a video DIY of a guy who solders the wires together. It seems they are 20AWG wires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ui9tLtTxXc

Thanks for the link.

I don't remember where I saw it but someone replaced the whole section of wire with one that is less prone to breakage.

I'd hate to have to go back after it breaks.

John in VA
05-25-2017, 01:05 PM
If you pull the rubber insulation back from the trunk lid & compress it you may find the broken wires. Repair the broken ones that you find & add some shrink wrap to help avoid the situation in the future. Much cheaper than $550!

704sw
05-26-2017, 06:12 AM
I bought a full trunk wiring harness from a part-out for like $50, and spliced everything back by the battery. In hindsight, it would've been significantly easier to just patch individual wires, but I was feeling ambitious.

I'd just buy some 20AWG, and replace about a 3' section, splicing each end a decent distance away from the hinge.

melonz
05-26-2017, 06:59 PM
I bought a full trunk wiring harness from a part-out for like $50, and spliced everything back by the battery. In hindsight, it would've been significantly easier to just patch individual wires, but I was feeling ambitious.

I'd just buy some 20AWG, and replace about a 3' section, splicing each end a decent distance away from the hinge.

Thanks, I've got 18 gauge silicone wire coming in from Amazon and plan to do that.

Does the harness extend down by the battery (end that goes in towards the cabin)? I've wondered how people manage to cut the whole trunk harness out to repair it - if so that seems easily accessable.

melonz
05-26-2017, 07:01 PM
The harness I posted in the OP makes it seem like it's easy to replace since there appears to be clips on each end. However I've read some threads that state that the harness is one piece, front to back in a single loom/non-modular.