PDA

View Full Version : 2004 5-speed auto vs 6-speed manual?

Dathaeus
05-05-2017, 09:07 AM
I searched for any threads on the 2004 5-speed auto but couldn't find anything specific on the differences between it and the 6-speed manual. I prefer manual by a landslide but right now I may have no choice but to "settle" for the auto.

From anyone who has owned one, can you describe the pros/cons, and does the tranny feel responsive and timely or is it pretty much like most auto vs manuals? Fuel consumption, weight/handling, reliability, etc., etc.?

Are there any other performance differences or otherwise?

Seems weird they even made a 5-speed auto... ZHP...

Thanks!

Pip
05-05-2017, 09:23 AM
So haven driven both and eventually going to an M3 I would urge you not to settle if you want a manual. I wanted a manual, settled for the auto, and sold for a manual M3 because I always wanted the manual driving experience. The auto in the ZHP isn't amazing but it is a great auto. With a tune it is snappy, shifts are smooth but not quick like a DCT. It will get worse gas mileage and won't be as engaging as the manual. You have the option of installing paddle shifters to help if that's something you'd want but still not a manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnrando
05-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Don't 'settle' if you have a preference. The auto is fine for certain reasons (I have one) but the driving experience is completely different.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dathaeus
05-05-2017, 01:44 PM
So haven driven both and eventually going to an M3 I would urge you not to settle if you want a manual. I wanted a manual, settled for the auto, and sold for a manual M3 because I always wanted the manual driving experience. The auto in the ZHP isn't amazing but it is a great auto. With a tune it is snappy, shifts are smooth but not quick like a DCT. It will get worse gas mileage and won't be as engaging as the manual. You have the option of installing paddle shifters to help if that's something you'd want but still not a manual.

Don't 'settle' if you have a preference. The auto is fine for certain reasons (I have one) but the driving experience is completely different.

Ok ya I was afraid of that. Let me run by a couple of points.....

Does the auto-version demand higher or lower price? I would personally pay less even though "technically" an auto-tran should cost more right.

What if I can get this 2004 5-speed auto version with 157k on it down to like $4k (as long as it is really clean)...
Then take my time looking for the one I want... then at least I still drive a "similar" car , not getting ripped off by a rental or insurance, thus minimizing my losses and not feeling pressure to sell or buy right away?

Because from what you guys are saying, it seems it is clear that I will not like the auto-5.

BTW how much can installing paddle-shifters cost?

johnrando
05-05-2017, 09:32 PM
Paddle shift mod is not hard. I have it. We have a detailed DIY on our site. You need a wiring kit (or make one), an M3 SMG steering wheel, and the clock spring. I'd guess $250 to $400 depending on the wheel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dathaeus
05-05-2017, 11:52 PM
Paddle shift mod is not hard. I have it. We have a detailed DIY on our site. You need a wiring kit (or make one), an M3 SMG steering wheel, and the clock spring. I'd guess $250 to $400 depending on the wheel.

Hmm interesting, might be something for later if I get this... that will at least be a halfway solution, miles better than an automatic I think. Thanks!

Dathaeus
05-05-2017, 11:54 PM
I dont think I actually posted the link:

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/cto/6073173462.html

The guy didnt send me photos yet of the dash but the steering wheel and the rest does look like a ZHP. Is $4500 fair for that? I think an automatic is an "upgrade" technically isn't it, but to me it's a downgrade so it's a tough call. If it is all in great working order requiring no repairs right now, I think low $4000's is something I will be ok with.

Oli77
05-06-2017, 08:20 AM
Not sure this car is "really clean" but it could do in a pinch. You'd have to search for oil leaks and ask more details about history and check it carefully. Take a mafia brother with you to go check it out.

Dathaeus
05-06-2017, 10:50 AM
Not sure this car is "really clean" but it could do in a pinch. You'd have to search for oil leaks and ask more details about history and check it carefully. Take a mafia brother with you to go check it out.

Haha mafia brother.... well I'm ditching it, it doesn't sound right and he raised the price on the title to $5k now even tho it still says $4500 in the details, and he is not responding to my texts anymore. Not buying an already uncertain piece from this kinda venue. I'm hoping one of my clients just loans me or rents me her extra Porsche which she wanted to sell or trade anyways, fingers crossed.

JPMo
05-06-2017, 04:22 PM
I have an Auto. Its an 04 with 107k miles for $7500. Pretty sure I couldn't find a manual in that price/mileage ran so I jumped on it and I have no regrets. It was BMW tech maintained, driven by his wife and clean AF after a weekend of loving. While sometimes, I do wish I could do some aggressive heel-toe downshifting, I figured I could always swap in the 6 speed in the future. Im just happy to own one of the better ultimate driving machines

Reasoned1
05-06-2017, 06:04 PM
I have both. I think the Steptronic is terrific, but don't settle UNLESS you can get both (use the auto for commuting, winter driving, or just as a second car). If you're a driving enthusiast, no automatic can substitute for a manual transmission.

Dathaeus
05-08-2017, 09:56 PM
I have an Auto. Its an 04 with 107k miles for $7500. Pretty sure I couldn't find a manual in that price/mileage ran so I jumped on it and I have no regrets. It was BMW tech maintained, driven by his wife and clean AF after a weekend of loving. While sometimes, I do wish I could do some aggressive heel-toe downshifting, I figured I could always swap in the 6 speed in the future. Im just happy to own one of the better ultimate driving machines

Haha, you sound like a commercial...
So you are saying with ZHP's anyways the 6speed will always demand higher $$$ over the auto's? Because "technically" doesnt the auto cost more out of the assembly?

I have both. I think the Steptronic is terrific, but don't settle UNLESS you can get both (use the auto for commuting, winter driving, or just as a second car). If you're a driving enthusiast, no automatic can substitute for a manual transmission.

Which models come with the Steptronic standard? I assume you mean the auto-stick shift and not a steering wheel paddle shifter?

holyc0w
05-09-2017, 06:09 AM
So you are saying with ZHP's anyways the 6speed will always demand higher $$$ over the auto's? Because "technically" doesnt the auto cost more out of the assembly?

I think there is more demand for the manual. At the same time, it seems like there are generally more automatics for sale.

BMWCurves
05-09-2017, 07:00 AM
There is more demand for manuals as it is considered more of an enthusiast's car, and probably part of why they're more scarce.

Sedan ZHPs had about 50% more manuals than automatics. Coupes were about even distribution between manuals and automatics sold. Convertibles had more than 4x as many automatics sold than manuals.

johnrando
05-09-2017, 07:34 AM
So therefore automatics were the most produced version.

BMWCurves
05-09-2017, 08:01 AM
Yup. 6,110 manuals to 6,530 automatics for the US.

danewilson77
05-09-2017, 05:36 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170510/2100148c074de6546d207ac39457a8a4.jpg
Did you get hacked?

Sent from my S8+

Reasoned1
05-09-2017, 05:41 PM
[/QUOTE]Which models come with the Steptronic standard? I assume you mean the auto-stick shift and not a steering wheel paddle shifter?[/QUOTE]

"Steptronic" is synonymous with automatic, and almost all E46 years and variants could come with an automatic, and it does provide a sport mode that, among other things, allows "bumping" between gears. Mine works phenomenally--I really like it a lot, but it doesn't compare to a manual.