PDA

View Full Version : Bad starter?

Cadeez
03-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Ever since I picked up my new ZHP a month ago, I noticed it always turned over a couple times before starting (whereas my 2001 330i fired right up immediately). I didn't think much of it, just thought it was a different car and maybe that was normal. Now it seems like it takes even more time to turn over, and there is also a very distinct "screeching" sound coming from somewhere which happens right as the car starts. It literally sounds like a chipmunk laughing, or a very squeaky wheel. Battery is brand new. Does this sound like a starter issue? Can't think of what else it could be

KTS317
03-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Bad fuel pump or bad fuel filter? Maybe a vacuum leak? Coils and plugs ever changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
03-07-2017, 01:28 PM
Wouldn't all of those options usually cause issues during normal driving sough as rough idle or stumbling, not just start up difficulty? I honestly don't know, I'm asking.

Cadeez
03-07-2017, 02:23 PM
Bad fuel pump or bad fuel filter? Maybe a vacuum leak? Coils and plugs ever changed?

Fuel filter replaced last weekend, assuming pump is original, plugs and intake boot replaced last month. I don't see how a vacuum leak would make the noise I'm hearing, or the slight hesitation turning over? Car runs fantastic, I actually gave her a nice little rip today at lunch, all systems were go for sure. No issue getting fuel, or anything else out of the ordinary.

Wouldn't all of those options usually cause issues during normal driving such as rough idle or stumbling, not just start up difficulty? I honestly don't know, I'm asking.

^^Agreed. It's got to be the starter

ELCID86
03-07-2017, 03:21 PM
I used YourMechanic.com to replace mine. Saved a bundle and they used Bosch. He was in my garage for 6+ hours!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170307/70de99f7ba0409b6310adcd13f76c9ad.jpg

Cadeez
03-08-2017, 10:24 AM
Holy crap! Why the heck is your engine torn apart like that?? The DIY's I've seen show to go from underneath, no exhaust removal, ~3 hours work. You just have to support the tranny on a jack and undo the mounts, then it should be right there. Pelican Parts offers great DIY's for almost everything

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/BMW-3-Series-E46/13-ENGINE-Replacing_Your_Starter/13-ENGINE-Replacing_Your_Starter.htm

Dave1027
03-08-2017, 04:24 PM
That diy says to lower the trans but then they say if the dowel pin is stuck drive it out with a punch, which you can only do from the top with the intake manifold off.

danewilson77
03-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Holy crap! Why the heck is your engine torn apart like that?? The DIY's I've seen show to go from underneath, no exhaust removal, ~3 hours work. You just have to support the tranny on a jack and undo the mounts, then it should be right there. Pelican Parts offers great DIY's for almost everything

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/BMW-3-Series-E46/13-ENGINE-Replacing_Your_Starter/13-ENGINE-Replacing_Your_Starter.htm
+1

6 hours because he had no idea what he was doing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ELCID86
03-08-2017, 06:04 PM

He went in from top and bottom. He removed the manifold (and replaced gasket) so I didn't complain. I did tell him about the DIYs, but hey it got me a new gasket and a chance to inspect my CCV!

Cadeez
03-09-2017, 11:50 AM
That diy says to lower the trans but then they say if the dowel pin is stuck drive it out with a punch, which you can only do from the top with the intake manifold off.

"If you run into this issue, you can drive the dowel pin out using a 10mm punch and small hammer. A new starter should come with a dowel pin installed, if not, transfer the old one over to the new starter. You cannot access the alignment pin from above without the intake manifold removed. To remove from below, put your punch into a deep socket installed on a 24Â" extension - align it with the pin and drive out from below, through the same access area used to remove starter bolts."

04yfz
03-14-2017, 06:44 PM
My guess is that the starter is weak or something is up with the return spring/bendix and the screeching you're hearing is the starter spinning with the flywheel before it returns.

Ridgey
03-14-2017, 08:22 PM
My starter went bad as well. No weird noises or anything, but it would randomly do a no crank but with full dash lights and a full battery. I would drive the car normally all day, then park it. And the next morning it would start again, then I'd drive somewhere and it would do the no crank but with full dash lights routine. It turned out one of the "brushes" on my starter was so worn down that it wouldn't start the car. I kept conveniently getting stuck on that brush.

I had a shop replace it. With part and everything $700. It was so much more beneficial to have them do it than me. I'd rather pick up a few extra shifts and do what I'm good at, opposed to replacing a starter that I'm not qualified for or have the space to do haha. Good luck. Starters are a pain but once it's done, it's done for awhile right?

Cadeez
03-16-2017, 03:01 PM
$700 actually seems like a decent deal considering the cost of an OEM starter is $400+. I'll still do the work myself though, it looks pretty straight forward and I've done much bigger jobs before. It's progressively getting worse, at least I feel like it is, so I'm going to have to address it soon. As soon as I get a free weekend that is...

Scott ZHP
04-05-2017, 02:47 PM
Mine wont turn over, battery is newish (Dec 16 replacement and tested fine with a carbon load test). Just ordered a new Bosch starter from Max at OEMBimmerParts, $175.85 shipped to my door. A rebuilt Bosch is about $145.

Wish me luck.

ELCID86
04-05-2017, 04:21 PM
Good luck with the install. Going in from the bottom?

wsmeyer
04-06-2017, 07:39 AM
If the seal in the fuel pump on the output side is going it won't hold pressure in the line when it is off, and when you go to start the car it will take a split second to build up pressure. If it is near the end of it's life you might want to just replace that first and see what happens.

Cadeez
04-06-2017, 09:11 AM
Mine wont turn over, battery is newish (Dec 16 replacement and tested fine with a carbon load test). Just ordered a new Bosch starter from Max at OEMBimmerParts, $175.85 shipped to my door. A rebuilt Bosch is about $145.

Wish me luck.

Damn, that's a steal!! Do you have a link? Lowest priced starter I could find was a rebuilt Bosch for ~$225 at ECS

Yessir, in through the bottom is the only way to go! :rofl

ELCID86
04-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Damn, that's a steal!! Do you have a link? Lowest priced starter I could find was a rebuilt Bosch for ~$225 at ECS

Yessir, in through the bottom is the only way to go! :rofl

I was asking Scott.

Scott ZHP
04-06-2017, 03:43 PM

Here ya go:

New Bosch: https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-New-Starter-Assembly-OEM-p/12412179001e46.htm

Rebuilt Bosch: https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-E46-3-Series-Rebuilt-Starter-OEM-12412354693-p/12412179001re46.htm

Scott ZHP
04-06-2017, 03:50 PM

Was planning to pull the intake and go in from the top, as I want to replace the plastic coolant lines while I have access.
And maybe the dual temp sensor in the head, just because I have a new one laying on my workbench, lol.

I did the CCV and hoses not quite a year ago, so I probably won't mess with those.

Opinion seems to be split between top and bottom access; I hate working upsidedown, so even if I have to remove more stuff, I'm leaning toward top.

Scott ZHP
04-06-2017, 04:06 PM
I was asking Scott.

:rockon

Cadeez
04-07-2017, 10:18 AM
I was asking Scott.

Well, pardon me...

Here ya go:

New Bosch: https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-New-Starter-Assembly-OEM-p/12412179001e46.htm

Rebuilt Bosch: https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-E46-3-Series-Rebuilt-Starter-OEM-12412354693-p/12412179001re46.htm

Thanks man!

Scott ZHP
04-08-2017, 03:52 AM
Well, pardon me...

Thanks man!

It's all good. :)

ELCID86
04-08-2017, 05:28 AM
It's all good. :)

+1

Scott ZHP
04-08-2017, 03:31 PM
Intake off, starter bolts backed out. The alignment pin is not cooperating. Soaking in PBBlaster, will drift it out tomorrow, have to chauffeur kids tonight.

Tip to get at the starter bolts from the top: I put a 3/8 drive "socket cap" into my E12 socket and used a 9/16 offset box wrench to break them free.
Had to reposition the socket to find a good spot for leverage. Tried a ratcheting 3/8 wrench; no dice, no where near enough leverage.

Scott ZHP
04-09-2017, 04:24 PM
All back together; not too bad, but not something I want to do anytime soon, lol.

danewilson77
04-09-2017, 05:26 PM
Intake off, starter bolts backed out. The alignment pin is not cooperating. Soaking in PBBlaster, will drift it out tomorrow, have to chauffeur kids tonight.

Tip to get at the starter bolts from the top: I put a 3/8 drive "socket cap" into my E12 socket and used a 9/16 offset box wrench to break them free.
Had to reposition the socket to find a good spot for leverage. Tried a ratcheting 3/8 wrench; no dice, no where near enough leverage.

All back together; not too bad, but not something I want to do anytime soon, lol.
Great tip. Thanks Scott. Well done.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+

Scott ZHP
04-10-2017, 06:25 AM
Another tip for the crowd that tackles this from the top:

The intake mounts to 9 studs up top and a large angled stud on the engine block from below. The bottom of the intake has an oval hole that fits over this stud. It's a PITA to mount it to the top studs *and* the lower mount as you can't really see it. Snip the bottom of the oval out and convert it into a slot and it slides right on; use a washer under the 16mm nut if you are worried about it going anywhere.