PDA

View Full Version : Trip odometer and clock won't set

Dual
02-25-2017, 08:04 AM
Since recently changing my battery I find that the trip odometer and clock won't hold their settings: they zero out across restarts.
Presumably there's a PASoft fix for this. Can anyone tell me how to get things working properly?

ON EDIT: I found this (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?4020-Odd-Electrical-Issues-Trip-Odometer-and-Radio). Presumably the answer is in there.

Oli77
02-25-2017, 09:15 AM
Bad contact between the circuit board and the 2-3 harnesses connecting in the back of the cluster?

You mention you can swivel the negative pole on the post by hand? ==> not tight enough.

Dual
02-25-2017, 09:22 AM
You mention you can swivel the negative pole on the post by hand? ==> not tight enough.That was it. I had to hold the terminal with a channelock while tightening the screw further.

I appear to have lost all PASoft customization, sad to say.

At any rate, it appears this is fixed. Thanks for your response!

Dual
02-25-2017, 09:27 AM
OMG it's back. It lasted across one restart and then came back. Other functions appear zonked too: the passenger mirror won't drop down in reverse.

This has been extremely frustrating. I continue to hunt.

Dual
02-25-2017, 09:38 AM
This is really bad. I can't get the car to come up on any OBDII device. PASoft says there's nothing there. My freestanding dongle won't power up.

FWIW the Autozone mechanic put some kind of 'data saver' across the OBDII while changing the battery yesterday.
For discussion of the battery issues I had, see here. (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?19664-Battery-failed-need-help)

Help?

Dual
02-25-2017, 11:33 AM
Bump

BMWCurves
02-25-2017, 12:00 PM
I wish I could help, but I am way out of my depth on this one.

Dual
02-25-2017, 01:08 PM
I have found at least one blown fuse at the OBDII position, but it's getting dark now and I have to be able to get the car outdoors in order to access the fusebox well. I'll report back here tomorrow AM EDT, but if anyone has knowledge about this please do post.

Dual
02-26-2017, 08:11 AM
The only blown fuse I found was #43, 5A; for the OBD II. I replaced it and plugged in my cheapo scan tool which powered up and showed no errors. Reset the clock and drove several miles to confirm that both odometers were working. Everything stayed up and good through several power cycles.

I hooked up the PASoft, which showed a lot of accumulated errors. In the middle of looking at and trying to clear some (ZKW? I forget) I suddenly got a "No Device" message or whatever the exact wording is for nothing to see. I removed the PASoft and checked fuse #43, which was intact (continuity test, not visual).

At this point I had once again lost trip odometer and clock. I reset the odometer and looked at my quick scanner: it powered up. I have not had a chance yet to see how long the devices go before failing again, if they do.

The H7-DLG battery currently in the car is the correct Autozone battery (http://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery/duralast-gold-battery/bmw/330ci/2005/6-cylinders-3-0l-fi-dohc/603386_397627_0) for a 2005 330ci (790 Cold cranking Amps (950 cranking Amps),140 Reserve minutes) Looking for a battery specification on RealOEM is very difficult, but I do see from Autozone's listing that the batteries for the entire 330 series changed specification together at my model year (2006). This feels like the typical error of this kind, so I feel correct in running the 2005-spec battery in my 330ci.

Now I have a new problem, so I can't run PASoft for a while. The USB plug interface failed while being inserted, and the pins inside the PASoft dongle are squashed.

Any thoughts or assistance very much appreciated.

Dual
02-26-2017, 11:50 AM
I'm pretty much typing to myself here but I might as well keep it up.

I'm developing a theory: here it is. Everything is stable and OK, but the USB connector was bad at the beginning of this process. Plugging it into the port shorted it, and threw things off. So a fresh device should make this a permanent fix, assuming the PASoft errors can be cleared OK.

I'm in touch with Tony and I get the sense he's going to ship me a replacement dongle.

BMWCurves
02-26-2017, 12:03 PM
I think I'm a little lost, but what's the current status of the car itself, no issues? Or is the odometer loss still cropping up?

Dual
02-26-2017, 12:15 PM
I'm sorry: meant to update on that. We were last at "I reset the odometer and looked at my quick scanner: it powered up. I have not had a chance yet to see how long the devices go before failing again, if they do."

Since then I have driven 10 or so miles with several on-off cycles today: everything is stable so far.

BMWCurves
02-26-2017, 12:20 PM
I'm sorry: meant to update on that. We were last at "I reset the odometer and looked at my quick scanner: it powered up. I have not had a chance yet to see how long the devices go before failing again, if they do."

Since then I have driven 10 or so miles with several on-off cycles today: everything is stable so far.

Gotcha. Well, like I said, this is beyond me. Since you have a new battery that's the proper size/spec for our cars, that should no longer be the issue. My battery did a lot of small weird electrical stuff to my car (speakers would pop when I turned on the car) despite the voltage and current still being good. It was the original 10 year old battery and when I replaced it that solved my issue.

Hopefully now it just sounds like the BMW Scanner for PA soft is broken. I'd also check that the ODB port isn't physically damaged by taking a quick look at it.

Dual
02-26-2017, 12:23 PM
Thanks- I will look at that.
Tony Lam is sending me a new unit, no questions asked.
Well… He did ask me for my address.

Here's to Tony!