PDA

View Full Version : Battery failed: need help

Dual
02-13-2017, 02:01 PM
I have done a (admittedly quick) search on this topic and am starting anew, largely because we have a blizzard just ending and the pressure's on.

My battery just failed beyond normal-jumpable status after a year of as-new ownership. It supposedly was installed exactly a year ago when I bought the car at a 3rd-party dealer.

AAA just left: they got the car started where my wife's jump and my minibattery wouldn't. They show the battery as being about 18 months old. He said I'd been given a low quality battery from an off-brand. The guy, who seemed smart and competent, was totally spooked about replacing my battery: talked about blowing a main fuse twice out of the last 3 BMW's he'd been called on. Also mentioned the car has to be synced to the battery (possible with PASoft, presumably?) I'm not a wrencher but could mechanically swap a battery and do work in PASoft. I hate to pay the local indie, and to wait for him to get around to me.

Experts: what path would you recommend at this juncture? Many thanks in advance.

Avetiso
02-13-2017, 02:16 PM
Coding batteries to their cars is newer than the E46. Don't worry about that. I think that started on the E90.

Go to Autozone and get your battery tested. If it's bad, check for a warranty. If there is no warranty, I think you're SOL. Get another battery, and a good one.

Dual
02-13-2017, 02:36 PM
Gotcha, and much appreciated. One point I forgot to ask about: why the battery failed so precipitously once cold weather hit? I called local shops and was told that having a good-quality (Aukey CC-S1 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M6QODH2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)) cig-lighter in place but not connected to phones, etc could be putting a detrimental load on the battery.

Really? This was not the case with any of the other cars in our household over the last decade or so.

johnrando
02-13-2017, 02:48 PM
You could have a parasitic drain on the battery. Things such as the FSR (final stage resistor I believe) are known to go bad on these and cause that. And as said, replacing it is no big deal at all. Get a good one (there are some recommendations in a thread somewhere on here), and just replace it yourself. No coding, no muss, no fuss. Just unhook the old, put in the new.

Dual
02-13-2017, 02:49 PM
More just now: AutoZone is also leery of replacing the battery: the guy quoted me (on the phone) about a note saying the system had to be reset when the battery is changed. AutoZone is the best-quality store of its kind in my area so I don't think I have other options.

Change the battery and roll? No reset or other software issues? Just checking here before I brick the vehicle at an AutoZone.

ON EDIT: JR's post came in across mine. I am headed to the shop.

THanks all.

Johnmadd
02-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Just change the battery yourself , no issues will occur.

johnrando
02-13-2017, 03:20 PM
They think it's a 2006 E90, not an '06 E46. Just tell them it's a 2005, it will avoid issues, and the cars are the same. I never list my car as an '06 when looking for parts. You can imagine 2 different production models using the same year causes confusion.

BMWCurves
02-13-2017, 03:30 PM
I went to AutoZone to replace my battery last year. They wouldn't do the replacement themselves because it was in the trunk and not in the engine bay (their installation only extends to what they consider "standard battery locations"). Bring tools with you or do it at home and return your old battery to get your core deposit back.

Karl Lazlo
02-13-2017, 03:49 PM
I went to AutoZone to replace my battery last year. They wouldn't do the replacement themselves because it was in the trunk and not in the engine bay

You can blame me, and my "jokes" about stuffing people in my trunk, for that policy.

Johnmadd
02-13-2017, 04:14 PM
They think it's a 2006 E90, not an '06 E46. Just tell them it's a 2005, it will avoid issues, and the cars are the same. I never list my car as an '06 when looking for parts. You can imagine 2 different production models using the same year causes confusion.

This, when I order parts I enter 2004 instead of 2003...it's the part.

KevinC
02-13-2017, 05:15 PM
I just ordered this replacement battery from Amazon. It's the best deal on an AGM battery I could find, by a fairly good margin. Shipping is free, despite it being 55 lbs ship weight. It's gone up a few bucks since I ordered last week, but still dirt-cheap at $153.92...

http://a.co/dU7FTw2

Installation is super-easy. A couple of sockets (10mm & 13mm IIRC) and about 5-10 minutes of your time and you're done. Be sure to reconnect the vent tube.

Dual
02-13-2017, 10:32 PM
Thanks everyone! I forgot about the 2006-year coupe issue this time, but armed with the initial posts here I headed over, and Autozone did great by me. They slid the battery in quickly, shortly before their closing time. It was $149.00 with a 3-year replacement warranty: I'm happy.

This was the car's first outing in slick freshly-plowed snow and I was really impressed by the traction control. It was good to be able to push it around and see how it dealt with snow.

I'm very appreciative of all the support here, to say the least.

Dual
02-13-2017, 10:39 PM
PS: KevinC should get a kick out of this screenshot of the 2006-year problem shown in action:

az3579
02-14-2017, 04:32 AM
This was the car's first outing in slick freshly-plowed snow and I was really impressed by the traction control. It was good to be able to push it around and see how it dealt with snow.

Interesting you say that. I find it way too intrusive and usually can't get anywhere when it's turned on. If there's snow on the ground, the first thing I do is disable traction control.

WOLFN8TR
02-14-2017, 06:39 AM
I can't believe Autozone will not change a battery just because it's located in the trunk! [emoji849]

As far as getting a battery from Amazon what happens when it goes bad, how do they handle a warranty exchange? I wonder what the time frame is?

Dual
02-14-2017, 08:01 AM
I can't believe Autozone will not change a battery just because it's located in the trunk! They changed mine, promptly and efficiently, after I told them about the early part of the discussion here. I don't think I was there longer than 20 minutes.

As far as getting a battery from Amazon what happens when it goes bad, how do they handle a warranty exchange? I wonder what the time frame is? In my case I didn't want to learn about any of this, LOL. I needed a decent quality battery in the car and running that night. It came down to the wire (closing time), but we made it.

Dave1027
02-14-2017, 09:32 AM

Yep, I always select '05 when looking up parts for my '06.

san
02-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Yep, I always select '05 when looking up parts for my '06.

+1
But some sites like tire rack do recognize the 06 coupe as an e46...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dual
02-24-2017, 12:03 PM
...Installation is super-easy. A couple of sockets (10mm & 13mm IIRC) and about 5-10 minutes of your time and you're done. Be sure to reconnect the vent tube.This stuck in my head and I started to think I was smelling bad stuff at times while driving around. So I opened things back up:

That there vent tube-looking thing looks like a vent tube! But I can't see where to install it. I see some keyhole slot openings near the termnals, but they're too small.

(Also, while I've seen some discussion online about some E46's having two vents, I see only one leaving the car body: the one shown in this photo.)

Last- is that free connector in the lower right corner supposed to be connected to something?

John in VA
02-24-2017, 12:50 PM
The battery vents are usually on the ends & plugged with small caps. I think I can make them out on the label ends.

Dual
02-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Are you saying that the battery should be plugged: sealed?
That it should not be connected to the hose?

Edit- yes, I see those holes but the hose is a larger diameter than that

az3579
02-24-2017, 01:48 PM
I've never connected the vent tube to any of the batteries I've put in my car and never had an issue. :dunno

I don't think I was ever able to, actually. Incompatibility or something.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Karl Lazlo
02-24-2017, 02:13 PM
I've never connected the vent tube to any of the batteries I've put in my car and never had an issue. :dunno

It caused issues, for me.

Turned all my hair grey. It's messed up. My lawsuit against BMW NA was dismissed. Now, instead of spending my money on vodka and strippers, I have to spend it on Just for Men.

Dual
02-24-2017, 02:38 PM
Well, that turned out to be a time-consuming mess.

Because of the 2006-year problem, Autozone had sold me the wrong battery, an H6-DLG, for a 2006-year car. Autozone shows the H7 version for 2005: a battery that's over an inch longer and fits the compartment properly. It also costs $40.00 more.

The vent tube: an L-connector between hose and battery was missing.
The electrical connector: I have no idea what that is. Does anyone here know? (it's in the photos)

Autozone was great about everything, IMHO. They completely accepted the model-year issue as valid. They ate the $40.00 cost difference as a price match, and treated the transaction as a return and sale, thus restarting my warranty today. They had someone drive over to a nearby battery wholesaler to get an L-connector that fit.

Of course it took almost two hours for all this to get sorted out, and three people scurrying around on my behalf, but we're AOK.

Thanks to everyone here for their input.

If it were me (and it was) and I had a battery venting acid vapors into the passenger compartment, I'd be sure to get that fixed.

John in VA
02-24-2017, 03:03 PM
The vent tube: an L-connector between hose and battery was missing.
The electrical connector: I have no idea what that is. Does anyone here know? (it's in the photos)
As you found out, there is a transition piece to allow connecting the hose to the battery's vent hole. Glad you got it sorted.
I believe that electrical connector is used while the car is in transit - it's been mentioned numerous times, but I wasn't fully paying attention!

Dual
02-24-2017, 03:11 PM
I'll accept that answer, LOL, and tuck the damned thing away.

Thanks!

johnrando
02-25-2017, 12:17 AM
Yes, the electrical connector is indeed something only used when there were shipping the vehicle. Not needed.

yellowdog32
04-13-2017, 03:07 AM
Just installed an H7 from Wally world. Fit perfect had to buy a 90-degree fitting from Oreilly and hook up vent hose. Reset clock that was it.

Dual
04-13-2017, 03:35 AM
Glad it worked out so well! Enjoy

Scott ZHP
04-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Just replaced my battery as well.

As some of you know, I live about 10 miles from the Deka/East Penn Manufacturing plant. They make batteries under a dozen different labels and have a factory store that sells non-branded plain case batteries. $139 for a Group 49 AGM with full warranty. Guy even did a carbon load test on it before I lugged it out to ensure it was Ok, it was producing 49 more cranking amps than rated.

Forgot to pull my vent L off the core. I bought this for $5 and it fits perfectly:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351505465401