PDA

View Full Version : Just to make sure... What's the correct xenon bulb size?

L0veZHP
02-11-2017, 11:04 PM
Hey guys my bi-xenon driver side went out. I didn't know it was just a bulb and thought the whole unit had to be replaced. Until one of my friends told me, that its just a bulb. I'm looking to replace it myself and just wanted to make sure this was the correct bulb before I order anything. Thanks and let know me if this one is it or not.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/d2s-hid-headlight-bulb-priced-each/63217160806/

derbo
02-11-2017, 11:49 PM
confirm it is the bulb by switching out the bulb with the passenger side before you go buying a bulb. You can buy other types of D2S and it will work fine. Retrofitsource is a good supplier of bulbs.

ELCID86
02-12-2017, 05:24 AM
It would be helpful to title the thread more appropriately "what bulb size is needed for x...".
Or perhaps post to the "random question" thread.

GL

L0veZHP
02-12-2017, 10:20 AM
confirm it is the bulb by switching out the bulb with the passenger side before you go buying a bulb. You can buy other types of D2S and it will work fine. Retrofitsource is a good supplier of bulbs.

okay thanks, will do!

L0veZHP
02-12-2017, 10:20 AM
It would be helpful to title the thread more appropriately "what bulb size is needed for x...".
Or perhaps post to the "random question" thread.

GL

is there anyway to edit the post? or delete it?

az3579
02-12-2017, 11:02 AM
It's already been changed.

terraphantm
02-12-2017, 11:53 AM
That one will fit, but don't buy it through BMW. They charge too much for a bulb

Get these: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/bulbs/d2s-osram-xenarc-66240-nightbreaker.html

Brighter than stock, and a pair costs less than a single bulb through BMW.

derbo
02-12-2017, 12:03 PM
That one will fit, but don't buy it through BMW. They charge too much for a bulb

Get these: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/bulbs/d2s-osram-xenarc-66240-nightbreaker.html

Brighter than stock, and a pair costs less than a single bulb through BMW.

Ive been meaning to buy a pair of these.

dpark
02-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Does anyone know what the life expectancy is with the xenon bulbs? My car is almost 13 years old, still on the original bulbs.

Going to be installing Clemsone's rebuilt ZKW reflectors soon (just been too busy and travelling too much to get this done) and would appreciate any thoughts if it makes sense to replace the bulbs while I am "in there". Don't really WANT to spend another $125 for the Nightbreaker bulbs, but if D2S bulbs do start wearing out or are close to failing after 120K miles/12+ years (I have daytime running lights on), maybe it makes sense to do it as a PM at this point.

Appreciate any guidance.

David

L0veZHP
02-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Wow great deal! These come clutch! Lol Thanks I'll look into these maybe review late results on..

BMWCurves
02-12-2017, 05:21 PM
Does anyone know what the life expectancy is with the xenon bulbs? My car is almost 13 years old, still on the original bulbs.

Going to be installing Clemsone's rebuilt ZKW reflectors soon (just been too busy and travelling too much to get this done) and would appreciate any thoughts if it makes sense to replace the bulbs while I am "in there". Don't really WANT to spend another $125 for the Nightbreaker bulbs, but if D2S bulbs do start wearing out or are close to failing after 120K miles/12+ years (I have daytime running lights on), maybe it makes sense to do it as a PM at this point.

Appreciate any guidance.

David

I really don't know. I think it's probably widely variable depending on usage and age. I do know some xenon bulbs tend to change color as well as output when they're failing.

san
02-12-2017, 08:09 PM
On a coupe, the bulb can be replaced from behind the headlight assembly correct? Don't have to bake and disassemble it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

704sw
02-12-2017, 08:26 PM
I really don't know. I think it's probably widely variable depending on usage and age. I do know some xenon bulbs tend to change color as well as output when they're failing.

Yep, tons of variables. Burn hours are important, but short trips where you ignite them and barely let them warm up has a far greater impact.

BMWCurves
02-12-2017, 08:35 PM
On a coupe, the bulb can be replaced from behind the headlight assembly correct? Don't have to bake and disassemble it?

Yup. No baking involved. That'd be a pretty shit design by BMW if you had to head up the whole headlight assembly to remove a simple bulb (that said, pretty much have to remove the assembly to get at the stupid turn signal bulbs).

Yep, tons of variables. Burn hours are important, but short trips where you ignite them and barely let them warm up has a far greater impact.

I'd heard that. Someone talked about that's why they manually set their headlights to either on or off, but not automatic.

704sw
02-12-2017, 08:38 PM
I'd heard that. Someone talked about that's why they manually set their headlights to either on or off, but not automatic.

I only put mine on auto once it's already dark to get the adaptive movement. I hate when auto turns them on going into a parking garage for 30sec until you park.

L0veZHP
02-13-2017, 01:18 AM
I was looking at these since I'm looking for a bluish color for my xenons compared to a yellow https://www.theretrofitsource.com/all-products/d2s-osram-xenarc-66240-cbi-51772.html?carDisplay=2004+BMW+3-Series+%28HID+Equipped%29&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1

Thinking of doing a bluish themed lights in the front of my car maybe everything between 5000k-6500k in the front. My Angel Eyes already match my LED Turn Signals.

704sw
02-13-2017, 04:29 AM
I was looking at these since I'm looking for a bluish color for my xenons compared to a yellow https://www.theretrofitsource.com/all-products/d2s-osram-xenarc-66240-cbi-51772.html?carDisplay=2004+BMW+3-Series+%28HID+Equipped%29&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1

Thinking of doing a bluish themed lights in the front of my car maybe everything between 5000k-6500k in the front. My Angel Eyes already match my LED Turn Signals.

FYI: anything above 5000k and you're actually doing more harm than good. It has a lot less usable light, and produces a very high increase in eye fatigue.

Also, the "Morimoto XB" bulbs are damn good and under half the cost of Osrams. I've had Mori D1S in my E83 for 3 years and they're as good as the day I installed them. Honestly, they were better than the OE 85122's I used in my Mazda's retrofit. Although I'd go with 4500k, the Mori XB in 5500k might be a good choice for you, given your desires, while also saving you $60.

L0veZHP
02-13-2017, 06:10 PM
Thanks for telling me, Ima look around on the internet and other forums to see reviews on both but Im leaning towards Morimoto XB because you said you have 3 years with them and they're still good

704sw
02-13-2017, 06:44 PM
Thanks for telling me, Ima look around on the internet and other forums to see reviews on both but Im leaning towards Morimoto XB because you said you have 3 years with them and they're still good

I've been quite happy. I'm going to put a pair of XB 4500k bulbs in when I swap in clear lenses. I've yet to have a bad experience with anything from TRS.

Sent via Tapatalk

BMWCurves
02-13-2017, 08:41 PM
I've been quite happy. I'm going to put a pair of XB 4500k bulbs in when I swap in clear lenses. I've yet to have a bad experience with anything from TRS.

Sent via Tapatalk

?

704sw
02-14-2017, 04:34 AM
?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/lenses/zkw-r.html?preselect=47712

Improves clarity and adds sharpness to the cutoff, and adds to the colorband (known as color flicker in the lighting community). This is a decent example:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170214/cd7ef49c8f65c9b4b908f35eed725926.jpg

Sent via Tapatalk

BMWCurves
02-14-2017, 05:27 AM
Gotcha, that is what I was assuming. What's the procedure like to replace those for coupes?

704sw
02-14-2017, 06:31 AM
Gotcha, that is what I was assuming. What's the procedure like to replace those for coupes?

It's a little involved but I'll thoroughly document it when I do it. Sedan guys are lucky. I'm also doing the highbeam reflector bowls yellow, so I'm just going to take care of everything all at once.

Sent via Tapatalk

WOLFN8TR
02-14-2017, 06:35 AM
Color Flicker...[emoji7]

san
02-14-2017, 06:45 AM
It's a little involved but I'll thoroughly document it when I do it. Sedan guys are lucky. I'm also doing the highbeam reflector bowls yellow, so I'm just going to take care of everything all at once.

Sent via Tapatalk

I'd be very interested in the yellow reflector bowls DIY. Been wanting to do this for a while but couldn't find a good DIY. But want really searching that hard. Also I think my driver side headlight bulb is going bad, the output has dropped quite a bit and I there is a difference in the color output between the driver and passenger headlights...

704sw
02-14-2017, 09:02 AM
I'd be very interested in the yellow reflector bowls DIY. Been wanting to do this for a while but couldn't find a good DIY. But want really searching that hard. Also I think my driver side headlight bulb is going bad, the output has dropped quite a bit and I there is a difference in the color output between the driver and passenger headlights...

I'll definitely do a write-up on it for you and everyone else. I have an extra reflector bowl from previous retrofits I'm going to try first, but it's pretty straightforward.

Yes, it sounds like your bulb has color shifted, which is an indication it's nearing the end of its life. I'm assuming it's shifted towards more of a magenta hue?

Sent via Tapatalk

san
02-14-2017, 09:37 AM
I'll definitely do a write-up on it for you and everyone else. I have an extra reflector bowl from previous retrofits I'm going to try first, but it's pretty straightforward.

Yes, it sounds like your bulb has color shifted, which is an indication it's nearing the end of its life. I'm assuming it's shifted towards more of a magenta hue?

Sent via Tapatalk

One has a blue-ish hue and the other is light yellow, almost white...

704sw
02-14-2017, 09:42 AM
One has a blue-ish hue and the other is light yellow, almost white...

That's strange. Which one is producing more light?

Sent via Tapatalk

san
02-14-2017, 09:43 AM

Sent via Tapatalk

The blue-ish bulb seems to be producing more light... will try to get a picture which maybe shows this...

az3579
02-14-2017, 11:15 AM
Color Flicker...[emoji7]
Cutoff line....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

sillieidiot
02-14-2017, 01:37 PM

Sent via Tapatalk

Man it's going to be such a bitch to do the clear lens swap on the coupe headlights. The baking is the easy part lol

sillieidiot
02-14-2017, 01:41 PM
Cutoff line....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I love seeing a sharp colorful cutoff :thumbup But a sharp cutoff is actually bad for you. Then again most of us don't drive in the boonies so it doesn't really matter I guess.

WOLFN8TR
02-14-2017, 03:00 PM
Cutoff line.
That too!! [emoji7]

704sw
02-14-2017, 03:14 PM
Man it's going to be such a bitch to do the clear lens swap on the coupe headlights. The baking is the easy part lol
It's really not that bad. I've done adaptive before, I'm not worried.

I love seeing a sharp colorful cutoff :thumbup But a sharp cutoff is actually bad for you. Then again most of us don't drive in the boonies so it doesn't really matter I guess.
I wouldn't say it's bad for you--the light leak above the factory cutoff isn't enough to illuminate anything other than reflective road signs. It isn't enough to give you a substantially increased awareness of most hazards. High beams and intelligent speed are really the only good options in that scenario.

Sent via Tapatalk

sillieidiot
02-14-2017, 09:34 PM
It's really not that bad. I've done adaptive before, I'm not worried.

Yeah I think it's harder than just doing a whole retrofit in a halogen headlight lol

I wouldn't say it's bad for you--the light leak above the factory cutoff isn't enough to illuminate anything other than reflective road signs. It isn't enough to give you a substantially increased awareness of most hazards. High beams and intelligent speed are really the only good options in that scenario.

Sent via Tapatalk

It's not really the light leak. It's the effect it has on you with a defined transition between light and dark. Generally with a sharp cutoff, you are more focused on the bright light in front of you so you have reduced depth perception. But luckily, with the E46 projector having a lot of throw distance, it's fine for the most part. But a lot of other projectors have a very wide beam but less depth. So it's more applicable to that. If you've ever ridden on a motorcycle with a projector retrofit, this is even more apparent.

az3579
02-15-2017, 03:33 AM
But a sharp cutoff is actually bad for you.

It's not really the light leak. It's the effect it has on you with a defined transition between light and dark. Generally with a sharp cutoff, you are more focused on the bright light in front of you so you have reduced depth perception. But luckily, with the E46 projector having a lot of throw distance, it's fine for the most part. But a lot of other projectors have a very wide beam but less depth. So it's more applicable to that. If you've ever ridden on a motorcycle with a projector retrofit, this is even more apparent.

I can't say I'm experiencing any ill effects from my razor sharp cutoff with my FX-R v1.0 projectors. I did adjust my headlights properly though, so that's probably why. That, plus the fact that I can't resist enabling the trifecta of goodness on dark back roads, means I've always have the light I need. :thumbsup

san
02-15-2017, 05:00 AM

Sent via Tapatalk
The difference is much more noticeable than what the pic shows but you can sort of see that the passenger side headlight is bluish while the driver side isn't...
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/a0c394af9abb9317b5cee2a06e4b71e0.jpg

704sw
02-15-2017, 05:32 AM
The difference is much more noticeable than what the pic shows but you can sort of see that the passenger side headlight is bluish while the driver side isn't...
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/a0c394af9abb9317b5cee2a06e4b71e0.jpg

That (almost) looks like the driver side is halogen. Typically as you go up in color temperature (more blue) the light output diminishes.

Sent via Tapatalk

san
02-15-2017, 06:20 AM
That (almost) looks like the driver side is halogen. Typically as you go up in color temperature (more blue) the light output diminishes.

Sent via Tapatalk

So you think the passenger side is going bad? I remember both the headlights having a bluish output when I bought the car and since the driver side changed color I thought it was going bad...

704sw
02-15-2017, 06:30 AM
Sorry, what I meant was a 6000k bulb produces less light than a 4300k (etc.). When a bulb is dying it will turn magenta, not blue.

If you don't know the backstory of the bulbs (meaning you don't know what the PO did) you could always play it safe and just replace them as a pair.

I think I have an extra pair of 5000k D2s bulbs if you're interested. Otherwise I'd suggest getting a pair of 4500k Morimoto XB's from TRS.

Sent via Tapatalk

san
02-15-2017, 03:48 PM
Sorry, what I meant was a 6000k bulb produces less light than a 4300k (etc.). When a bulb is dying it will turn magenta, not blue.

If you don't know the backstory of the bulbs (meaning you don't know what the PO did) you could always play it safe and just replace them as a pair.

I think I have an extra pair of 5000k D2s bulbs if you're interested. Otherwise I'd suggest getting a pair of 4500k Morimoto XB's from TRS.

Sent via Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer! I will swap the bulbs this weekend to make sure that bulbs are at fault and get back to you...

Cadeez
02-16-2017, 10:04 AM
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/lenses/zkw-r.html?preselect=47712

Improves clarity and adds sharpness to the cutoff, and adds to the colorband (known as color flicker in the lighting community). This is a decent example:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170214/cd7ef49c8f65c9b4b908f35eed725926.jpg

Sent via Tapatalk

Can you elaborate on these "clear lenses"? What are we talking about exactly, the xenon lens itself? I just picked up another ZHP sedan (finally!) and the light output seems subpar to my other 330i. You say the process is easy for sedans, do tell.

holyc0w
02-16-2017, 10:38 AM
I just picked up another ZHP sedan (finally!) and the light output seems subpar to my other 330i.

Congrats!

Maybe burnt ZKW bowls?

Cadeez
02-16-2017, 11:00 AM
Congrats!

Maybe burnt ZKW bowls?

Thanks! I sure hope it's not that, isn't that sort of an expensive pain to fix? Can I tell just by looking at it? Or do I need to remove the headlight and disassemble it?

Johnmadd
02-16-2017, 11:31 AM
Thanks! I sure hope it's not that, isn't that sort of an expensive pain to fix? Can I tell just by looking at it? Or do I need to remove the headlight and disassemble it?

Pop the rubber cover of the back and look inside or use your camera phone to get a picture. If it's burnt you'll know.

Cadeez
02-16-2017, 12:31 PM
Pop the rubber cover of the back and look inside or use your camera phone to get a picture. If it's burnt you'll know.

Copy that. Is there a chance the lens is just "dirty"? Can they be cleaned?

Still looking for clarification on the replacement of "clear lenses" as well...

az3579
02-16-2017, 12:53 PM
Copy that. Is there a chance the lens is just "dirty"? Can they be cleaned?

Highly unlikely this is your issue. If it's a ZHP sedan, it's almost certainly a ZKW headlight issue, unless someone swapped it already.

Johnmadd
02-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Highly unlikely this is your issue. If it's a ZHP sedan, it's almost certainly a ZKW headlight issue, unless someone swapped it already.

+1

Cadeez
02-17-2017, 10:52 AM
Wah waahhh... Alrighty, I'll check this weekend while I'm in there