PDA

View Full Version : 2004 BMW 330Ci Convertible ZHP 6MT w/ 49k miles (Berkeley, CA) - $10,500

BMWCurves
02-09-2017, 05:00 PM
Found on Craigslist. Mystic Blue on Black leather interior. Has the Cold Weather Package. Add states it has the Premium Package, but it lacks lumbar support so I do not believe that is true.

Other notes:

One owner
Navigation
All maintenance records

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5995713484.html

Boca_RatonZHP
02-09-2017, 07:10 PM
Damn dude, all these mystic blue/blue rag top coming up. UGH WHY DO I WANT ANOTHER ONE?!!?!

bandwagn
02-09-2017, 08:00 PM
A great price for low miles if everything checks out. Looks like it does have cold weather package (headlight washers), if not the Premium Package

illirep
02-12-2017, 07:03 AM
Who so underpriced? Although the steering wheel has a zombie bite taken out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELCID86
02-12-2017, 08:04 AM
Wow. That is tempting. Even on the wrong coast.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

BMWCurves
02-12-2017, 08:37 AM
Price dropped to $10,000

ssmtsx
02-19-2017, 10:56 AM
I'm really interested in this one. Of course it's 3000 miles away from where I am. I spoke with the owner last night. He gave me the number to the man that has been servicing it. I am going to call first thing tomorrow. I will ask about the cooling system is there anything else I should be weary of? My plan is to fly out there and drive it back to Virginia. The owner seemed honest he did say it was in a fender bender right after he bought it.

danewilson77
02-19-2017, 11:04 AM
I'm really interested in this one. Of course it's 3000 miles away from where I am. I spoke with the owner last night. He gave me the number to the man that has been servicing it. I am going to call first thing tomorrow. I will ask about the cooling system is there anything else I should be weary of? My plan is to fly out there and drive it back to Virginia. The owner seemed honest he did say it was in a fender bender right after he bought it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxrGS3Vaz0o&feature=youtu.be

az3579
02-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Who so underpriced? Although the steering wheel has a zombie bite taken out of it.

Not underpriced at all.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
02-19-2017, 11:30 AM

I'm not sure how familiar you are with BMW's or the E46 platform, and I'm no expert, but E46 has a handful of maintenance items to look for. Most aren't immediate concerns, and the most significant at this car's mileage and age is probably the cooling system, which you already noted. Other things to consider:

Fluids: BMW's official maintenance schedule is pretty stingy on fluid replacement. Consider replacing brake fluid (every year or so), power steering fluid (5 yrs, 30k miles), transmission oil (30-50k miles), differential oil (30-50k miles).
Brakes: highly variable depending on the car's usage. Check rotor and pad wear. Consider also the brake lines are now 13 years old. My father's brake lines burst on his E39 540i a year or two after that.
Filters: air filters and such aren't critical, but you might want to consider changing the fuel filter if it hasn't already.
VANOS seals: I haven't had to do this on my car (it has similar mileage, 55k), but something to consider.
DISA valve: can fail. Not a huge issue. Can be rebuilt.
Spark plugs: probably could be replaced if they haven't been already
Belts/pulleys: The pulleys are variable but last closer to 50k miles, belts every 30k miles or so.
Suspension: Most ZHPs will have perfectly good suspension because worn shocks are hidden by stiff springs. However, my car at 50k miles were in dire need of new shocks and struts (rears would not rebound at all). I replaced front control arm bushings (FCABs) and rear trailing arm bushings (RTABs) when I did my suspension refresh. Again, not critical, but probably due for a refresh if it hasn't been done yet.
Electrical items: window regulators can be failing, various sensors can be failing, it's highly variable.
Battery: My car somehow came with the factory battery that was 10 years old. It needed to be replaced.
Cracked subframe: this is pretty rare in low mileage, late model E46s, but always worth looking at

That list is by no means exhaustive, and most of those items aren't critical, just general wear and age items that need to be maintained. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxrGS3Vaz0o&feature=youtu.be

Video is private

illirep
02-19-2017, 11:32 AM
Not underpriced at all.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Here we go again. We all know you think our cars are worthless. Based on mileage and transmission, that car is underpriced by several thousand dollars. I sold a steptronic with 80k miles for $11k in the fall.

ssmtsx
02-19-2017, 11:39 AM
Bmwcurves thanks for all that information. It's starting to sound like I would be better having it shipped here. There is a really good independent Bmw place right near my house. Once I get it here I was planning on taking it to them to get all the maintenance up to date. The owner said he did at minimum an oil service once a year. I will check with the mechanic tomorrow to see what else has been done. I know it has the original brakes-I'm not sure how long they normally last? One last question do you think the price is fair? From what I have seen I believe it to be especially if it as clean as the owner states. I will have at minimum 11-12k in it after everything has been done.

Thanks again for your help

az3579
02-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Here we go again. We all know you think our cars are worthless. Based on mileage and transmission, that car is underpriced by several thousand dollars.

If you say say so.

One last question do you think the price is fair? From what I have seen I believe it to be especially if it as clean as the owner states. I will have at minimum 11-12k in it after everything has been done.

Yes, the price is fair considering there's almost certainly going to be some things to do, preventative or otherwise. I hope you can score this car and be happy with it!

illirep
02-19-2017, 12:39 PM
Price is a steal. Go for it!

BMWCurves
02-19-2017, 02:37 PM
My guess is that the car is in similar shape to mine when I purchased it, meaning it was clean, but needed pretty much all of those things mentioned due to age, rather than mileage. These cars are old, their plastic gets brittle and rubber dries out. I'd say expect to put in $2-3k in parts and labor for some of the stuff I mentioned if you want it to be in good mechanical order.

That said, $10k for a mystic blue convertible with 6MT, Cold Weather Package, one owner, and navigation is definitely a fair price.

Lorenzo
02-19-2017, 03:46 PM
Go for it. I think the price is very competitive, especially with the low miles. You can view history of what members paid for their cars here:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?16528-How-much-did-you-pay-for-your-ZHP-Data-Collection-Consolidation

And mystic blue is a great, and not too common color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ssmtsx
02-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Go for it. I think the price is very competitive, especially with the low miles. You can view history of what members paid for their cars here:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?16528-How-much-did-you-pay-for-your-ZHP-Data-Collection-Consolidation

And mystic blue is a great, and not too common color.

Thanks for that link!

ssmtsx
02-22-2017, 03:08 PM
spoke to the mechanic today. He says that the owner has been very good about the routine maintenance. Did say it does need two rear tires. The control arm bushings have been done but nothing has been done with the cooling system. I've gotten quotes as low as $795 to have it shipped. I just wish it wasn't so far away.

Lorenzo
02-22-2017, 04:31 PM
spoke to the mechanic today. He says that the owner has been very good about the routine maintenance. Did say it does need two rear tires. The control arm bushings have been done but nothing has been done with the cooling system. I've gotten quotes as low as $795 to have it shipped. I just wish it wasn't so far away.

Go for it! At 49k miles, coolant overhaul can wait until at least 70k miles. It's a beautiful, low mile car.

san
02-22-2017, 05:03 PM
Go for it! At 49k miles, coolant overhaul can wait until at least 70k miles. It's a beautiful, low mile car.

Nope. At this point it's age more than miles. Replace it soon. But yes go for it...

BMWM3186
02-22-2017, 05:59 PM
Nope. At this point it's age more than miles. Replace it soon. But yes go for it...

My system had 84k when I replaced it a month ago, thermostat was the first thing to go, it was stuck open. Drove it home when it was 15 degrees outside and hoped it wouldn't clog the CCV or something.

ssmtsx
02-22-2017, 06:11 PM
The owner is dropping it off with the mechanic tomorrow for a full PPI w/compression testing. As long as it comes back clean I'm going to pull the trigger. Thanks for everyone's help!!

BMWCurves
02-22-2017, 06:53 PM
The owner is dropping it off with the mechanic tomorrow for a full PPI w/compression testing. As long as it comes back clean I'm going to pull the trigger. Thanks for everyone's help!!

Good luck :thumbsup

NYRhockey
02-22-2017, 06:59 PM

ssmtsx
02-24-2017, 02:41 PM
just got off the phone with the mechanic. The DME has stored codes of a misfire on cylinder 6 and there is oil starting to seep from the oil filter housing. He is going to email the full write up and I will post it here.

Is the cylinder misfire a huge concern? He said the spark plugs are factory.

Thanks again for the help.

fredo
02-24-2017, 02:51 PM
My e90 had misfire due to bad spark plugs. But it was obvious: the engine was shaking badly. Sounds like the car still runs fine, in your case. :dunno

ssmtsx
02-24-2017, 07:38 PM
Here are the fault codes

BCS_ZHP
02-25-2017, 05:48 AM
Misfire on cylinder #6 could be due to a bad spark plug (at this age, it needs a new set of spark plugs anyway, minor cost (under $100)) or it could be a coil starting to act up on that cylinder (again, easy to fix). Either of those issues is a good get acquainted with the car DIY project. The oil filter housing stand gasket happens to all of these engines, its only about a $5 gasket and about an 1-1.5 hour job, again a good DIY project. Neither of these codes should concern you.