PDA

View Full Version : What Else to Replace with Clutch at Same Time?

cavette
02-07-2017, 03:40 PM
Just bought the car w/ 90k miles, but I need to replace the clutch because that's the way car came.

Other than possibly the flywheel (depending on need), what else should be replaced as a preventative measure at the same time to save on future labor costs? Thinking of replacing the clutch slave cylinder but anything else? An indy shop will be carrying out the clutch replacement.

Thanks!

BADCLOWN
02-07-2017, 04:40 PM
Throw out bearing

Any cheap parts you can replace on any job regardless of if it's broken or not I always try to replace. Might as well do it while you're in there is my motto.

az3579
02-07-2017, 05:04 PM
A clutch at 90k??? That seems way too early...

slater
02-07-2017, 05:14 PM
i agree with BP, 90K seems early.

i have a new OEM clutch for sale if you don't have one yet. PM me if interested.

cavette
02-07-2017, 05:39 PM
I know... 90k miles is way too early, but the clutch is slipping... There are a few (very few) ZHP owners who have had to replace around this time, even on 1-owner original cars...

BMWCurves
02-07-2017, 05:39 PM
How badly is the clutch slipping?

az3579
02-07-2017, 05:58 PM
I know... 90k miles is way too early, but the clutch is slipping... There are a few (very few) ZHP owners who have had to replace around this time, even on 1-owner original cars...

Ouch! I'm on just about 262k on the original clutch.

Anyway, as others have mentioned - throwout bearing is a must. Also, I saw you inquired about the flywheel in a separate thread - I think it can be resurfaced, but I'm not sure I would personally. I'd go with either an upgrade to a single mass or a new dual mass.

* Clutch
* Flywheel
* Throw out bearing
* Pilot bearing
* Rear main seal (now's the time to do it while all this stuff is out! So close to it...)
* All new bolts for whatever you may disassemble

cavette
02-07-2017, 07:24 PM
How badly is the clutch slipping?

It's drivable but once you step on it, then it starts slipping.

Raptorman5174
02-16-2017, 02:48 PM
I'm at 152,000 miles on my original clutch. I can hear my flywheel rattling around in there sometimes so I know thats worn out but the clutch still grabs good.
It seems like I might be keeping this car for the long run so I'll wait till I hit 200,000 and then replace it with everything else.

Also while the driveshaft is out look at the flex disk (guibo) center support bearing and the input and output shaft seals on the gear box as well as the shifter shaft seal. All these wear out over time and are easy to replace while the trans is out of the car.

derbo
02-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Ouch! I'm on just about 262k on the original clutch.

Anyway, as others have mentioned - throwout bearing is a must. Also, I saw you inquired about the flywheel in a separate thread - I think it can be resurfaced, but I'm not sure I would personally. I'd go with either an upgrade to a single mass or a new dual mass.

* Clutch
* Flywheel
* Throw out bearing
* Pilot bearing
* Rear main seal (now's the time to do it while all this stuff is out! So close to it...)
* All new bolts for whatever you may disassemble

I agree. I suggest getting the one that has the seal installed into the bracket already:

PetesZ
02-23-2017, 05:50 PM
might as well throw in the slave cylinder - got to disconnect it anyway.

driveshaft guido - maybe

330i ZHP
02-23-2017, 06:35 PM
See my listing for an OE clutch kit for sale