PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying zhp. Input please.

phillipjfry
02-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Hello all,

I'm thinking about buying a 2004 zhp with 94k. It doesn't have cold weather, or the sunroof package. It's white, with grey interior. Paint is 9/10. Always dealer maintained, although it hasn't had any of the big items done yet ie: cooling, suspension, clutch ect. It needs some new tires for about $800. I've looked at KBB, NADA, and on this forums classified for fair pricing. Kbb is low at 5k, nada, is 7k, and on this site anywhere from 7-12. With 12k being evey option, and all major maintenance done, with documents.

What do you think a fair purchase price would be? I'm thinking around 8-9k. Leaning more to 8500.

I never have owned a bmw, but have always loved them. I'm not worried about maintenance costs, as I will be doing 95% myself.

The guy is willing to negotiate, he knows his price is high. But I also want to be reasonable, and fair with my offer.

What do the experts think?? Thank you in advance. Hopefully I can pick it up, and then be a regular around here.

KTS317
02-01-2017, 03:05 PM
Mind sharing a link? Or at least pictures? Not having a sunroof is kind of rare and to some, desirable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnmadd
02-01-2017, 03:06 PM
Jump on it now.

phillipjfry
02-01-2017, 03:10 PM
I read if you post a link a scavenger will swoop. Haha

KTS317
02-01-2017, 03:11 PM
I read if you post a link a scavenger will swoop. Haha

Haha, could be true I suppose!

phillipjfry
02-01-2017, 03:12 PM
288982889828898]28898

phillipjfry
02-01-2017, 03:13 PM
He said he is holding it for me, so don't get any ideas.

KTS317
02-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Looks nice. Alpine, skicktop, 6 speed, under 100k. Looks like a good find. That interior is beige which is much better than gray (imo). Good luck! Hope you grab it so we can all see more of it!

phillipjfry
02-01-2017, 03:20 PM
So you think 8,500 is fair considering it need tires?

KTS317
02-01-2017, 03:22 PM
That seems fair to me!

BMWCurves
02-01-2017, 03:24 PM
Is this the one down in SoCal? If so it has a beige/tan interior ("Light Beige 2" is what BMW called it), not a gray interior. Along with not having the Cold Weather Package as you mentioned, it does not have the Premium Package. Not having the Premium Package isn't all that big a deal, at least for me (my car doesn't have it). You can get an autodim rearview mirror retrofitted for the cost of the parts which about $150 if you use the E90 rearview mirror that has the compass, autodim, and HomeLink (BMW's garage door opener). Some might miss the lumbar support (I certainly did) but you could probably find lumbar seats at some point for not too much money. I don't think anyone misses the BMW Assist that came with the Premium Package either.

Where do you live? The Cold Weather Package might be a little important depending on what you need out of the car. The heated seats can be nice, as are the fold down seats and ski pass through which can be useful if you need a lot of space. The headlight washers that are included in the package become a leaky headache for most people.

My only hesitation is that it's been on the market for a while. Usually Alpine white, manual, relatively low mileage cars aren't around for long, so maybe there is something wrong that's not readily apparent in the ad.

If you do decide to go for it, I would suggest the usual route of getting a CarFax to check for accidents or any cursory red flags, then have it taken in for a pre-purchase inspection (PPI). Go to a BMW-specialty shop, one that is familiar with the E46 platform and know what to look for. If you don't know of any shop, start your search with bimmershops.com. They should be able to give you a couple of options that you can call and see what they're like.

Good luck!

BADCLOWN
02-01-2017, 03:25 PM
Always low ball, leave yourself room to negotiate. I'd start at 6500 with a goal of ending up at 8k which I think is fair.

danewilson77
02-01-2017, 03:28 PM
That seems fair to me!

+1

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

phillipjfry
02-01-2017, 03:33 PM
It rarely gets below freezing here. I have a truck if I need to haul crap around. Good call on the auto dim. I will need that later. This isn't going to be a daily driver.
He said a few people have come to look at it, but didn't have their money right, and asked him to hold it. I have cash and want the car if it's right. My buddy is coming with me, he is an ASE mechanic, that is pretty familiar with the e46. He said there is nothing wrong, and welcomes my mechanic to look it over, and give it a cold start. He said he isn't hiding anything with creative photos. No damage. Car fax came back good, although it was the limited free version. Has 1 open recall for an air bag.

Thank you for the info! I hope this works out.

phillipjfry
02-01-2017, 03:38 PM
Always low ball, leave yourself room to negotiate. I'd start at 6500 with a goal of ending up at 8k which I think is fair.

I hate beinglow balled. when I sell a car. If they low ball me, I don't sell it to them, even if they raise their offer. I think anything less than 7 would be an insult. I'm thinking 8, stop at 8,500, and put that wad of cash back in my pocket. Maybe 7,500..

BMWCurves
02-01-2017, 04:56 PM
It rarely gets below freezing here. I have a truck if I need to haul crap around. Good call on the auto dim. I will need that later. This isn't going to be a daily driver.
He said a few people have come to look at it, but didn't have their money right, and asked him to hold it. I have cash and want the car if it's right. My buddy is coming with me, he is an ASE mechanic, that is pretty familiar with the e46. He said there is nothing wrong, and welcomes my mechanic to look it over, and give it a cold start. He said he isn't hiding anything with creative photos. No damage. Car fax came back good, although it was the limited free version. Has 1 open recall for an air bag.

Thank you for the info! I hope this works out.

The airbag recall is most likely for the driver's side. Call around to local BMW dealerships and see what the wait time might be. It took me a month+ to get mine scheduled once airbags started coming in to my part of the states (that was after a year of waiting for them to "find a solution").

KTS317
02-01-2017, 06:04 PM
When are you going to look?

Karl Lazlo
02-01-2017, 06:16 PM
I have nothing constructive to add other than to tell the new guy, "Cool username!"

But, I find it strange that a cryogenically frozen 20th century mid 20s guy, who finds himself in the 31st century needs a ZHP. But, who am I to judge.

In other words, welcome aboard, sausage link!

Cadeez
02-01-2017, 06:17 PM
looks to be... http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5961919563.html

phillipjfry
02-01-2017, 06:23 PM
looks to be... http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5961919563.html

You're a super sleuth! Don't anyone jack my car.

UdubBadger
02-01-2017, 06:24 PM
Oops just bought it sorry

:biggrin

J/k

Looks good. See if he'll take $7500 because you're then responsible for adding in the work/repairs. Work up from there. When negotiating a car sale:
Rule 1 is if you never ask you'll never know.
Rule 2 is have evidence to back up your offer.
Rule 3 is know when to walk away.

If there is a rational reason why your offer is $x because of this factor and that factor... it's harder for them to refute an offer that still makes them money in the end because now the car is a burden. "There are lots of Zhp's that don't need tires or other stuff out there" should be your attitude. A smart seller will do what they need to do to keep you interested. And you still don't look like a dick if you come back to the table with a higher offer if he won't budge.

Making someone feel like you're doing them a favor by taking the car off your hands (without insulting them or the car) for good money is how you get a good deal.

How do I know? I used to help sell em. Lol

san
02-01-2017, 06:24 PM
I think $8500 is fair...

phillipjfry
02-01-2017, 06:25 PM
These packages aren't going to deliver themselves. Hah thanks man. I can't wait. I hope it's good. I showed my wife, and out of the blue she said go for it. So I gotta strike while the iron is hot. I'm going tomorrow.

Cadeez
02-01-2017, 06:26 PM

Haha. You can thank Curves, he posted eleventeen billionty links last night and I happened to hit on this one a few hours ago :)

phillipjfry
02-01-2017, 06:36 PM
Oops just bought it sorry

:biggrin

J/k

Looks good. See if he'll take $7500 because you're then responsible for adding in the work/repairs. Work up from there. When negotiating a car sale:
Rule 1 is if you never ask you'll never know.
Rule 2 is have evidence to back up your offer.
Rule 3 is know we to walk away.

If there is a rational reason why your offer is $x because of this factor and that factor... it's harder for them to refute an offer that still makes them money in the end because now the car is a burden. "There are lots of Zhp's that don't need tires or other stuff out there" should be your attitude. A smart seller will do what they need to do to keep you interested. And you still don't look like a dick if you come back to the table with a higher offer if he won't budge.

Making someone feel like you're doing them a favor by taking the car off your hands (without insulting them or the car) for good money is how you get a good deal.

How do I know? I used to help sell em. Lol

Yes thank you, I've been looking across the country, and willing to take a flight to buy my car. That's great advice. I think with the numbers I've put together from nada, and from here 7,500 is a fair place to start. I have a rational reason behind this number. If it's absolutely pristine, my absolute top is 9k, and that's kinda iffy. I don't have to have THIS car, but it sure is cool.

I was talking to my coworker about buying this, he said no way, it's too expensive to maintain as an investment. Then this over opinionated guy sticks his nose over telling me "facts" about bmw. I shut him down pretty quick, once he told me rotors are 900$. Anyways enough rambling of my mundane afternoon.

BMWCurves
02-01-2017, 08:44 PM

I already have mine :biggrin

Sreten
02-01-2017, 08:55 PM
I actually looked at this one in San Jose right before I picked up my coupe in Santa Clara.

It looks nice and clean. Owner says that he owns a detailing garage or something so he kept it clean. Didn't see major imperfections on the body, inside is also clean.
He installed some aftermarket unit and sub-woofer in the trunk, personally not a fan and don't understand why do you need a stupid sub-woofer that will take half of your trunk when you have harman kardon.

Car had SES light on when I looked at it. Codes were mixture preparation bank 1 and 2. He says that car has been sitting for some time, could be an air leak or something else or nothing. I cleared them for him and I guess they didn't come back. He had it smogged next day.

Like you said, it needs 4 new tires pronto. Car also pulls to the right a lot. Not sure if it is because of the tires or alignment or something else.
Has no obvious oil leaks that I saw. You will need to overhaul cooling system and probably belts, etc.. since he has no service history but Carfax shows that it has been at the dealer regularly. Clutch actually feels good and I don't think you need to worry about that. If I do remember correctly, you can hear a clunk sound coming from the rear end when driving off from dead stop.

I was in a hurry when I looked at it but that's what I found. I offered him 8k just for fun cause I wanted a Coupe and he said that the lowest is 9,500.
After that I bought my Ci. :biggrin

Overall, I liked the car and for 8-8,500 should be a good buy.

Like BMWCurves said, it doesn't have cold weather or premium package so no heated seats. It has been on the market for a while and he was originally asking 11,500.

Hope this helped. Good luck.

phillipjfry
02-01-2017, 09:18 PM
I actually looked at this one in San Jose right before I picked up my coupe in Santa Clara.

It looks nice and clean. Owner says that he owns a detailing garage or something so he kept it clean. Didn't see major imperfections on the body, inside is also clean.
He installed some aftermarket unit and sub-woofer in the trunk, personally not a fan and don't understand why do you need a stupid sub-woofer that will take half of your trunk when you have harman kardon.

Car had SES light on when I looked at it. Codes were mixture preparation bank 1 and 2. He says that car has been sitting for some time, could be an air leak or something else or nothing. I cleared them for him and I guess they didn't come back. He had it smogged next day.

Like you said, it needs 4 new tires pronto. Car also pulls to the right a lot. Not sure if it is because of the tires or alignment or something else.
Has no obvious oil leaks that I saw. You will need to overhaul cooling system and probably belts, etc.. since he has no service history but Carfax shows that it has been at the dealer regularly. Clutch actually feels good and I don't think you need to worry about that. If I do remember correctly, you can hear a clunk sound coming from the rear end when driving off from dead stop.

I was in a hurry when I looked at it but that's what I found. I offered him 8k just for fun cause I wanted a Coupe and he said that the lowest is 9,500.

Like BMWCurves said, it doesn't have cold weather or premium package so no heated seats. It has been on the market for a while and he was originally asking 11,500.

Wow, awesome man! Thank you. When did you look at it?
The clunk could be suspension? So he told me me he was going to smog it today, so you must have looked months ago. The free car fax I saw said the belts were done about 8k ago. The engine lights have me a little concerned. I am new to this platform. Hmm thanks man. If he is saying 9,500. It's a waste of my time, as I'm driving down from sacramento. I'm not too keen on buying someone's problem. I'll pass this info on to my mechanic. Thanks again.

Thank you for the write up!

Sreten
02-01-2017, 09:25 PM
I looked at it on January 17.

Not sure what could it be, but I thought I heard it couple of times when driving off. He texted me next day and said he did the smog test and it passed.
Mycarfax does say that. I have unlimited Carfax with license plates but he has some weird custom plates that Carfax can't pull up so you need to run it by VIN.
Lights could be something or nothing. Don't know if they are on now.

I think you should be able to get it down to 8,500. He has been trying to sell it for a while and I bet he's getting low balled like crazy.

phillipjfry
02-01-2017, 09:30 PM
Well as smog is good for 90 days, so if he smogged it on the 17, why would he smog it again.. what was your feel of the guy, up front, or shady?

Sreten
02-02-2017, 12:55 AM
Beats me. Double check with him.

He doesn't really talk much, I can't remember where did he say he was from. He's the second owner and he got it from original owner and from what I can tell, car was well kept. He didn't do much to the car other then that stereo upgrade.

He said something that the owner had the car shipped from Italy.

If he takes 8,500 I would buy it. Alpine White is a very nice and rare color, if it had 2 doors less I would've bought it.
They are easy cars to work on, do some basic maintenance to make it fresh and drive it. They are great cars.

UdubBadger
02-02-2017, 05:27 AM
So that clunk is likely some bushings needing replacement. Had it in both my M and ZHP. Best guess is the diff bushings but could be trans or maybe subframe. Motor mounts could be worn also throwing everything else off.

If you're serious about this one pay for a PPI on it. It'll cost you maybe $200 max but also give you some strong negotiating power if other items come up as needing replacement. Plus you'll know what you need to do to have it road ready asap, and what you need to plan for replacing in the near future.

az3579
02-02-2017, 06:13 AM
For $9500 it shouldn't have any of those issues. You should be getting a car that needs almost nothing for that price. Maybe tires, at the most.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

phillipjfry
02-02-2017, 06:54 AM
So that clunk is likely some bushings needing replacement. Had it in both my M and ZHP. Best guess is the diff bushings but could be trans or maybe subframe. Motor mounts could be worn also throwing everything else off.

If you're serious about this one pay for a PPI on it. It'll cost you maybe $200 max but also give you some strong negotiating power if other items come up as needing replacement. Plus you'll know what you need to do to have it road ready asap, and what you need to plan for replacing in the near future.

I'm paying my mechanic friend, which I have go over any car I buy look it over. He is good, and has saved me thousands on purchases over the years. We'll give it a good shake down. Motor mounts, and bushings aren't a huge deal, but definitely bring the price point down.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I really do appreciate it!

johnrando
02-02-2017, 07:27 AM
When you say that you cleared the codes and he had it smogged the next day.... that is impossible unless he drove the hell out of the car to reset the "clock" or he went to a shall we say less than proper smog place. They will not smog your car if you've had codes recently reset, period. I've twice had this happen to me. Once, trying to smog after an air bag recall replace - guess what - the battery being off reset the codes. The other time (the 1st) I checked/cleared codes myself not realizing that would be an issue for smog check, and a different place told me they had to wait until I had enough miles for the proper readings.

Karl Lazlo
02-02-2017, 07:46 AM
John, I don't know from where Mr Fry hails, as states can vary. I have cleared codes hours before a smog check (ODBII scan here in CT). I always get a SAP SES on my 03 and I clear it, drive it for 50 miles and it tests fine. Just did my M3 recently that sat, had a new battery installed... Drove it like I stole it for 25 miles, scanned fine. Passed the CT check easily.

johnrando
02-02-2017, 07:49 AM
Good point. I am talking about CA. And, I think this is/was a CA car, could be wrong.

Karl Lazlo
02-02-2017, 07:52 AM
Good point. I am talking about CA. And, I think this is/was a CA car, could be wrong.

With that said, and if you are correct - I appear to be speaking out of my fifth point of contact.

phillipjfry
02-02-2017, 08:39 AM
Haha yeah I'm unfortunately in CA. I just had this conversation with my coworker. Something seems a little fishy. I'm going to look at it. If it's legit, and the guy isn't trying to pull one over, for a good price ill buy it. If not, there is a good inventory all over the nation. I don't mind waiting for the right car.

danewilson77
02-02-2017, 08:57 AM
For $9500 it shouldn't have any of those issues. You should be getting a car that needs almost nothing for that price. Maybe tires, at the most.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Agree

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Cadeez
02-02-2017, 11:48 AM
When you say that you cleared the codes and he had it smogged the next day.... that is impossible unless he drove the hell out of the car to reset the "clock" or he went to a shall we say less than proper smog place. They will not smog your car if you've had codes recently reset, period. I've twice had this happen to me. Once, trying to smog after an air bag recall replace - guess what - the battery being off reset the codes. The other time (the 1st) I checked/cleared codes myself not realizing that would be an issue for smog check, and a different place told me they had to wait until I had enough miles for the proper readings.

100% agree here, this happened to me and I was turned away multiple times. The car has to go through a certain amount of "cycles" before everything is reset and you can test, at least here in OR

usinjin
02-02-2017, 02:25 PM
In my opinion, $8.5k is a little high. My '05 with 96k mi was $7k. However, there's a lot of variables--given that it's a slicktop, that may very well be a great price.

Do you feel a sense of anticipation and excitement? If so, then go for it. If it's your first ZHP, you'll have a blast. I love mine. After spending thousands on new tires, suspension, lights, alternator, cooling system and a new engine, I couldn't be happier. (Not trying to scare you--just humor. My story is a bit unusual)

phillipjfry
02-02-2017, 03:07 PM
This will be first zhp. I know I'm going g to have some maintenance come up in the next 5-20k. Not buying it to flip, im now in my 30's and want another sport sedan. I could spend up to 20k on a car, but not a fan of anything new. My top choices where the zhp, b6 s4, and the AMG e63. I decided on the zhp with less hp. For looks, cool factor, and I loved the feel of the drive. I'm super excited, just don't want to get bent over a barrel. I'm kinda thinking because it needs 1000$ in tires and a battery, 7500- 8k not much higher.

wstr75
02-02-2017, 03:53 PM
$1092.72 https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/e46-zhp-suspension-upgrade-kit/33500429577~kt1/
$246.49 https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/ecs-cooling-system-refresh-kit-level-1/ecse461711-1~1/
$159.39 https://www.ecstuning.com/b-conti-tech-parts/accessory-belt-kit/adk0046p~crp/
$267.34 https://www.ecstuning.com/b-conti-tech-parts/accessory-belt-kit/adk0046p~crp/
$800 - ???? for four new tires

The above kits are a quick way of showing the types of maintenance stuff likely needing to be done soon. Figure multiplying the above component costs by 2.0 to 2.5X for the total costs including labor for an independent garage to do the work. I'd offer the guy $6250 and settle at $7000 max. Be prepared to walk away.

It would be far better to buy a ZHP at $9500 from someone on this forum who has done all of the maintenance items (cooling system, suspension refresh, brakes, etc.).

BMWCurves
02-02-2017, 06:03 PM
Let us know how the car is once you go and inspect it! As wstr75 said, be prepared to walk away. There will always be other ZHPs if you are patient, especially if you aren't too picky on options/colors.

When I purchased my car with just 50k miles, I ended up doing pretty much the same amount of maintenance that I would have done on a car that had twice the mileage. These cars are now at a minimum 11 years old, so rubber dries out/cracks and plastic brittle, no matter the mileage. I probably spent about $2.5k in parts to replace the common maintenance items like filters (fuel, intake, and cabin), belts, pulleys, spark plugs, fluids (engine oil, transmission, differential, brake fluid, and power steering), cooling system refresh, replace the brakes (pads, rotors, and stainless steel brake lines) and a suspension refresh.

The brakes and the suspension might not apply to the car you're looking at depending on what the owner has done to it maintenance-wise. But I'd expect $1k minimum in parts if it needs the basic stuff done. If you're doing the work yourself you'll save a ton on labor.

Some quick resources:

My thread on the OEM+ suspension system refresh I did on my car at 50k miles. Mostly BMW parts with a few minor modifications with improved parts: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?16182-Help-with-Suspension-Refresh-at-50k-miles-10-years
A parts list I used to bring my sister's 330Xi up to snuff (for now). Some of the parts don't apply since it's an Xi, but that's a pretty comprehensive list: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?17920-BMWCurve-s-Sibling-s-2003-BMW-330Xi-M-Sport-Canadian-Maintenance-Ledger

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

phillipjfry
02-02-2017, 06:50 PM
Thank you. Ill let you guys know how it goes. I really like the white color. At this point I really don't know much about the car until I put eyes on it. In my gut, im thinking he thinks it is far more valuable than what the actual value is. But who knows, I have a price that I'm not going to go over, ill walk if it's a dime higher, well maybe a dime..

Patience was never a strong suit for me, when I want something I get it. This time I'm going to step back. I figured if I can have this thing up to date maintenance wise for 10500. Figured 1600 the suspension, cooling, ect. Another 200 or so in fluids, and tires. At the end of the day 500/1000/2000 over a year will be money well spent if it's a car I love.

I had a 03 passat awhile ago, I put 15k into the car because I liked to drive it, and enjoyed working on it. Although, I was winning car shows with it too.

That alpine white is clean though!

ELCID86
02-03-2017, 02:47 AM
Good advice from William (Curves). Most cars will need PM due to age if not miles. Budget for it.

phillipjfry
02-03-2017, 05:15 PM

Well bud, you called it. Dude just called me said he has an engine light on and he needs to drive to clear the code, before he can smog it... i dont think this guy knows dick about cars. Codes don't just clear themselves. Anyways I'm going to look at it still. But pretty unlikely ill be buying it.
A car that has an engine light on, and won't smog is worth about 3k, since I don't know ow what's up with it, or how much the repair is going to be. Thanks again for the heads up.

Also thank you all for the advice. The search is on.

KTS317
02-03-2017, 07:03 PM
Well bud, you called it. Dude just called me said he has an engine light on and he needs to drive to clear the code, before he can smog it... i dont think this guy knows dick about cars. Codes don't just clear themselves. Anyways I'm going to look at it still. But pretty unlikely ill be buying it.
A car that has an engine light on, and won't smog is worth about 3k, since I don't know ow what's up with it, or how much the repair is going to be. Thanks again for the heads up.

Also thank you all for the advice. The search is on.

Honestly these cars aren't THAT complicated. A check engine light wouldn't scare me away. I would just read the code and figure it out from there. It's more than likely a fuel mixture code.

You should look in to "Carly for BMW". It is a handheld wifi OBD reader that allows diagnostics and coding. It has a handy "used car" function that lets you see the VIN, the clusters VIN, the exact mileage, miles since codes have been cleared and readiness monitors.

If the gut feeling says don't buy it though obviously stay away. I don't live in a state that requires smogging either so that makes things a little more complex.

Sreten
02-03-2017, 08:44 PM
So the light came back and he lied about getting it smoged. I specifically asked when did he got it smoged and he said today (day after I saw it).

I wouldn't get scared though. Go look at it and try to kill the price based on that. Most likely it's the same code. Google it and see what you can find.
Should be that hard to figure it out.

phillipjfry
02-04-2017, 03:12 PM
Well didn't buy it. Something seemed up with the guy. It needs tires, alignment is shot, chips in the windshield, 2 rims have curb damage, car wasn't smogged SES light on, steering rack was going out sooner than later. The exhaust muffler was not oem, was hacked on with poor weld job. offer him 7500, moved up to 8k. He said 8500, with no smog. We walked. There is something going on with that car, and seller.after I pointed all of this out, with an offer of 7500, he said 9k with a straight face. I even pulled up a CL ad of a super clean zhp, that needed nothing for 9k.

holyc0w
02-04-2017, 03:14 PM
Sounds like a sound decision, more trouble than it's worth

fredo
02-04-2017, 03:22 PM
Sorry to hear this was not the one. CL ad deleted, BTW.

ELCID86
02-04-2017, 03:41 PM
Move on. There will be others (and more upfront sellers)

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

Sreten
02-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Bummer. Plenty of ZHPs in SF area, you'll find something.

How did you diagnose bad steering rack?

He'll probably sell it for 7500 at the end.

phillipjfry
02-04-2017, 09:29 PM
My buddy is a mechanic. He wiggled the wheel back and forth. And told me it was starting go out. Not 100% sure how he does it. I was looking for oil leaks, and bushings under the car. Going to look at another on Friday.

I have a feeling he is going to have to put about 1k into it, and sell it for 8500. Lol

phillipjfry
02-04-2017, 09:31 PM
Oh to top it off, the dude drove over my friends foot, and ran into my shins when he started the car. What a moron.

holyc0w
02-04-2017, 09:38 PM
:facepalm

Sreten
02-04-2017, 10:01 PM
If he felt play in the steering wheel, 95% of the time it's the steering guibo. Common problem on e46. Just replaced mine but it wasn't that bad.

https://s29.postimg.org/nkid6q2xf/20170204_171752.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/nkid6q2xf/)

When steering rack on my e39 leaked, it didn't show any sings of failure, it just happened.

I doubt he will put anything in it. He didn't so far.

Good luck with the next one!

ELCID86
02-05-2017, 12:53 AM
If he felt play in the steering wheel, 95% of the time it's the steering guibo. Common problem on e46. Just replaced mine but it wasn't that bad.

+1 I'm betting your mechanic friend doesn't know e46s.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic