PDA

View Full Version : Window Tint. Prices, types, installers, $$$

hcbeck2689
12-04-2016, 05:56 PM
So, I've been doing some research on window tint and cannot really find anything recent. I had my ZHP done for $400, all windows even the windshield with Suntek Carbon. That company told me they increased prices bc they use higher quality tint now. So, I'm guessing they are gonna charge me $600-$800 for an x5. I'm just not gonna pay that.

What have you guys paid and where? I am looking for a good installer in the NC area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
12-04-2016, 07:15 PM
I paid $200 for Suntek Carbon on my coupe at a place out in Beaverton, OR. That was about a year and a half ago.

sillieidiot
12-04-2016, 11:39 PM
Well the prices pretty much depends on the type of tint you are going for. Ceramic tint tend to be the most expensive, then metallic, then normal tint. Normal tint in my area goes for like $150-$200. then metallic is like $400-$700. ceramic is like $600-$1000.

John in VA
12-05-2016, 05:55 AM
Well the prices pretty much depends on the type of tint you are going for. Ceramic tint tend to be the most expensive, then metallic, then normal tint. Normal tint in my area goes for like $150-$200. then metallic is like $400-$700. ceramic is like $600-$1000.
What sillieidiot said is true. Your location will also affect pricing.

hcbeck2689
12-05-2016, 06:13 AM
I paid $200 for Suntek Carbon on my coupe at a place out in Beaverton, OR. That was about a year and a half ago.
That sound consistent with what I paid. I really liked the suntek carbon.

[emoji1303] im thinking(and hoping) that I'll get a little bit better of a price on the east coast.

ZHPizza
12-05-2016, 06:20 AM
I can't find my receipt right now, but I did a bunch of research with my last car and found that Llumar CTX (40%) was the best film for the balance of price/heat rejection/color and just found an installer that carried it. I've been really happy with it and it wasn't terribly expensive. I'd say <$500 even with adding a sheet of Suntek CXP 80 on my windshield (which I regret -- it's hazy and looks like a film of dirt in the sunlight).

I also had Suntek Carbon (cheap film) on my last ZHP and it had a horrible green tint to it. The car looked like it was trapping a fart in the sun.

BMWCurves
12-05-2016, 08:55 AM
I can't find my receipt right now, but I did a bunch of research with my last car and found that Llumar CTX (40%) was the best film for the balance of price/heat rejection/color and just found an installer that carried it. I've been really happy with it and it wasn't terribly expensive. I'd say <$500 even with adding a sheet of Suntek CXP 80 on my windshield (which I regret -- it's hazy and looks like a film of dirt in the sunlight).

I also had Suntek Carbon (cheap film) on my last ZHP and it had a horrible green tint to it. The car looked like it was trapping a fart in the sun.

Huh, I've had a very different experience. Maybe the film you had was an old formula/production method? I've had it on both of my E46s over the last 4-5 years and have had no color distortion, good even layering (no image distortion), with good heat rejection on hot and sunlit days.

hcbeck2689
12-05-2016, 09:48 AM

Like BMW curves I loved my suntek carbon.

I got the 70 on my windshield, and unlike you I didn't hate it...I loved it. I will never own a nice car again without the windshield being tinted. My only regret was not going darker on the windshield. I'll probably go more like 45-60% this time.

hcbeck2689
12-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Just got a quote for $425 or $480 with moonroof using pinnacle ceramic. They refuse to do the windshield darker than 80% though so I'm not gonna go there unless everywhere else is a lot more expensive.

hcbeck2689
12-05-2016, 07:18 PM
Has anyone ever used the suntek ceramic? I'm debating on that and the carbonxp
Price is about $539 for everything cxp
And $669 for ceramic.
I cannot find anything online about the suntek ceramic. Even suntek's website has specs on all there tint except the ceramic :dunno

Edit: that's a different shop that I have used before. Great reputation for doing good work and fixing mistakes.

Vas
12-06-2016, 02:24 PM
I got a quote for $290 for my wife's sedan. 3m carbon ceramic in any shade.

Going to do 50% all around.

hcbeck2689
12-06-2016, 07:50 PM
I got a quote for $290 for my wife's sedan. 3m carbon ceramic in any shade.

Going to do 50% all around.

That sounds about right. I paid $400 on my sedan with windshield. I would highly recommend the windshield tint, even if it's one of the 80-90 tints. Last time I did the CXP 70 which is actually 65% and it was nice, but I wanted something a bit darker. I'll be going 55 on the windshield this time. I'm actually really excited. Tint is one of my favorite car mods. I probably get as excited over s good tint job as most you guys do over a Gruppe m intake :rofl

Vas
12-07-2016, 03:19 AM
The state of Virginia puts a sticker on the inside of the windshield every year

ZHPizza
12-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Huh, I've had a very different experience. Maybe the film you had was an old formula/production method? I've had it on both of my E46s over the last 4-5 years and have had no color distortion, good even layering (no image distortion), with good heat rejection on hot and sunlit days.

Good to hear that you like it! I had it done in 2012 and I think I remember reading that Suntek had some bad batches with their dye back then. Hopefully that was just it.

Like BMW curves I loved my suntek carbon.

I got the 70 on my windshield, and unlike you I didn't hate it...I loved it. I will never own a nice car again without the windshield being tinted. My only regret was not going darker on the windshield. I'll probably go more like 45-60% this time.

What did you get on the windshield? The CXP was known for being hazy in the sunlight when I had it installed (2014) and it drove me crazy. I wanted the Airblue 80 (don't remember the brand), but the shop didn't have it.

Vas
12-09-2016, 12:46 PM
BP has Airblue 80 installed on all his windows IIRC. Looks kinda neat.

az3579
12-09-2016, 01:18 PM
BP has Airblue 80 installed on all his windows IIRC. Looks kinda neat.
This. I love the look, and being able to show off my interior while still getting the benefits of tint.

The rear windows in this pic are a good representation of what it looks like. I also have it on my windshield.

https://c6.staticflickr.com/1/515/31515934325_da221acde5_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Q1Xph2)0522161913 (https://flic.kr/p/Q1Xph2) by botond.pal (https://www.flickr.com/photos/65070296@N06/), on Flickr

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

hcbeck2689
12-09-2016, 03:23 PM
What did you get on the windshield? The CXP was known for being hazy in the sunlight when I had it installed (2014) and it drove me crazy. I wanted the Airblue 80 (don't remember the brand), but the shop didn't have it.

I wanna say it was the CXP somewhere around March 2015. My installer would only use that tint on the windshield. He said he had too many problems with other tints. I had no haze and most people couldn't tell it was tinted at all, even after I told them.

I'll probably be getting CXP next week.

hcbeck2689
12-15-2016, 09:56 AM
Update: I ended up getting Suntek Ceramic all around. There was a pretty hefty price difference (~$175) from the CXP to the ceramic, but I wanted the extra heat reduction and plan to keep the car a while.
I ended up getting the 21% on sides, back, and sunroof. Windshield got 55%. I'm really happy with the results.
Price after taxes was $747.93.
I used Carolina Tint in Wilmington, NC. I have been beyond impressed both times I have had a car tinted there. They are super professional and take great pride in their work, which is a sort of rarity these days.
Hopefully this thread can help people in the future.
Before:http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/4f89d17f5e4effb37f31fd420a1cb57c.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/2d1fab72b5633df199729b1f98085396.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/e20af51b3be96cf901afb26262d451cd.jpg
After:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/4fb270d28e720af29a3e6752a4b14be4.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/ddcc59762e8142706283599d60ad500f.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/3fd379b454f50faeef37fae46431c57b.jpg

John in VA
12-15-2016, 07:10 PM
Update: I ended up getting Suntek Ceramic all around. There was a pretty hefty price difference (~$175) from the CXP to the ceramic, but I wanted the extra heat reduction and plan to keep the car a while.
I ended up getting the 21% on sides, back, and sunroof. Windshield got 55%. I'm really happy with the results.

While I've found the cops in NC to be more lenient with speeding compared to VA LEOs, I hope they don't mind the dark tint. Looks good, as long as you can see out well enough to see cross-traffic. We have annual state inspections & will get flagged/rejected for darker than allowed tint, depending on the veracity of the inspection station. They & police have VLT meters.
My nephew in Greenville, NC was ticketed in NC for tint too dark - cost of ticket + work to remove illegal tint + new legal tint = busted his budget!

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In North Carolina, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield - Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows - Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back Side Windows - Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window - Must allow more than 35% of light in.

hcbeck2689
12-15-2016, 08:35 PM
While I've found the cops in NC to be more lenient with speeding compared to VA LEOs, I hope they don't mind the dark tint. Looks good, as long as you can see out well enough to see cross-traffic. We have annual state inspections & will get flagged/rejected for darker than allowed tint, depending on the veracity of the inspection station. They & police have VLT meters.
My nephew in Greenville, NC was ticketed in NC for tint too dark - cost of ticket + work to remove illegal tint + new legal tint = busted his budget!

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In North Carolina, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield - Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows -Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back Side Windows - Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window - Must allow more than 35% of light in.

Yes, that is all correct except for SUVs only have the limit for front windows. You can put vinyl on the back windows if you so desire. I had no problem seeing out the windshield tonight. I could't really tell it was tinted. As for inspections, my Indy is pretty good and taking car of their own. I can get a medical exemption too, that I plan on getting, that allows for up to 20%. The DMV gives you a little sticker for the window.
But, there is always a risk.