PDA

View Full Version : Hi from NYC

KenMNYC
10-12-2016, 07:51 AM
Thanks to all for 5 years of solid advice in maintaining my '06 MT vert. 92,000 and still humming. I park in a NYC garage, so it's got some "character" shall we say.

I saw it on a Subaru pre-owned lot and didn't know exactly what I was looking at. Strange exhaust? M3-ish front end? 6 speed? What was it? Well, I googled it, found this forum and never looked back. I regret it took me 5 years to join.

Now I'm hankering for a lower mileage example, but haunted by the addage "the devil you know..."

Best, Ken in NYC

Karl Lazlo
10-12-2016, 08:11 AM
Now I'm hankering for a lower mileage example, but haunted by the addage "the devil you know..."

Best, Ken in NYC

Well, Ken, welcome aboard! I'm not a city guy, but commute there a few days a week (midtown).

Hankering for another example? That's just silly. Who needs more than one car?

BMWCurves
10-12-2016, 08:13 AM
Welcome! Post some pics when you can. How many miles does your car have, 92k? Or is that how many miles you've put on it yourself?

Good luck in your search for a lower mileage version!

While a low mileage ZHP does have its advantages, I would say that low mileage has one significant downside: a price premium. I purchased my car a year and a half ago with 49k miles. It came with an appropriate price tag as a result. Despite the low mileage, being in fantastic cosmetic shape, and the previous owners following BMW's maintenance schedule, it was in need of some mechanical refreshing. I ended up doing all the maintenance I would have done for my ZHP if it had double the miles because the 10 year age became a factor and parts were becoming tired. I replaced the spark plugs, all new fluids (brake/clutch, power steering, oil, trans, diff), pulleys, belts, suspension (shocks/struts, bushings), cooling system, spark plugs, etc). So while I had great a low mileage car after all that maintenance, mechanically it wasn't all that different from a well cared for example with many more miles.

Just my $0.02.

san
10-12-2016, 08:29 AM
Welcome Ken!

^ Yes what he said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenMNYC
10-12-2016, 09:18 AM
[QUOTE=BMWCurves;506126]Welcome! Post some pics when you can. How many miles does your car have, 92k? Or is that how many miles you've put on it yourself?

Total mileage is 92K. And I tend to agree with you regarding age vs. miles...as long as it's well cared for as you say. Thanks, Ken

BMWCurves
10-12-2016, 09:50 AM
Looks good!

I would consider 92k miles relatively low miles IMO. That's only 9.2k miles per year! How much lower miles are you looking for?

3ZHP
10-12-2016, 11:54 AM
Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredo
10-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Welcome, man ! You will love this forum.

danewilson77
10-13-2016, 04:08 PM
Ken, welcome home.

S7 Edge, out

KenMNYC
10-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Looks good!

I would consider 92k miles relatively low miles IMO. That's only 9.2k miles per year! How much lower miles are you looking for?

I bought it with 55k. Would be nice to go back in time! Though in a few years I might get excited about the next gen zhp: the 335is. Blasphemy, I know! K

Karl Lazlo
10-13-2016, 05:20 PM
Though in a few years I might get excited about the next gen zhp: the 335is. Blasphemy, I know! K

Nah, don't worry about that. Plenty of folks here have other BMW chassis other than the E46. Others, too, may own different manufacturers. You seem to be OK. Those other people? I don't trust them.

#E46ForLife!

johnrando
10-19-2016, 06:04 PM
Welcome. Verts FTW!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk