PDA

View Full Version : "Upgrading" from Xenon to Halogen

wookim.design
07-09-2016, 11:27 PM
Hi folks,
My ZHP came with ZKW Xenon lamps and projectors are beginning to fade reducing the light performance.
I never really cared for xenons anyways or how they look, is it possible to easily swap to Halogen lamps? (changing the whole assembly)
Has anyone done this in the past? Thanks.

az3579
07-10-2016, 06:12 AM
Hi folks,
My ZHP came with ZKW Xenon lamps and projectors are beginning to fade reducing the light performance.
I never really cared for xenons anyways or how they look, is it possible to easily swap to Halogen lamps? (changing the whole assembly)
You do know that halogens are inferior in their performance, right? I've never seen anyone go from Xenon to halogen, and for very good reason.

Sent from my LG V10 on Tapatalk

Vas
07-10-2016, 07:43 AM
Have a retrofit performed

danewilson77
07-10-2016, 07:53 AM
You do know that halogens are inferior in their performance, right? I've never seen anyone go from Xenon to halogen, and for very good reason.

Pretty sure that's why "upgrading" is in quotes.

S7 Edge, out

derbo
07-10-2016, 09:53 AM
Hi folks,

its easier to just swap to an AL housing. :)

terraphantm
07-11-2016, 05:28 PM
I've done this temporarily before. Basically you'd swap in the halogen assembly, plug in the high beam/low beam connectors, remove $522 from your VO, and recode your LCM. The auto leveling and bixenon shutter connections will stay unplugged.

johnrando
07-11-2016, 05:37 PM
Do you just love Halogen or would you be ok with a Xenon fix? Just curious, as it appears you know Xenons are technically better.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

wookim.design
07-13-2016, 11:40 PM
I've done this temporarily before. Basically you'd swap in the halogen assembly, plug in the high beam/low beam connectors, remove $522 from your VO, and recode your LCM. The auto leveling and bixenon shutter connections will stay unplugged.

What is VO? I dont have a love for halogens but dont really care for xenons either. Just looking for simple ways to fix lights without doing retrofits or putting used AL assemblies. I could put in new AL units but they are pretty darn expensive so I thought new halogen units would be a nice way to satisfy my needs.

az3579
07-14-2016, 03:26 AM
VO is Vehicle Order. It is a listing of vehicle options in a format that modules in your car understand. The VO needs to be modified so that your car thinks it has halogen lights instead of Xenon's so it doesn't throw bulb out errors or otherwise behave in a strange way when the lights are activated. It requires coding to do.

On an effort scale, used AL assemblies are the easiest route. Take old out, put new ones in - done. Halogens require coding. Obviously a retrofit is the most work but has the best results in terms of output.

Just curious - what's the problem with used AL units? You did say you looked at new AL units so I figured I'd ask. They don't burn out like the ZKW ones do, so they will perform the same as new.

wookim.design
08-06-2016, 06:08 PM
So i got a used Al headlamp assembly and put it on the passenger side. Turned on the headlights and its not working (why i didnt want to get one used). Does it need recoding LCM to work? Flash-to-pass works but not xenon stuff (low and high beam).

az3579
08-06-2016, 06:24 PM
So i got a used Al headlamp assembly and put it on the passenger side. Turned on the headlights and its not working (why i didnt want to get one used). Does it need recoding LCM to work? Flash-to-pass works but not xenon stuff (low and high beam).
Things to check:

1) plugged in correctly?
2) did it come with a bulb? If so, tried swapping with your old bulb?
3) check your fuses and make sure the fuse for that side is good
4) not sure if the control module ("ballast") is good on that unit - does anyone know if the ballast from a ZKW assembly works with an AL assembly? It might be something to try (using your old ballast - I'd let someone chime in on this one first though)

wookim.design
08-06-2016, 07:49 PM
1) yes
2) swapped bulbs, still no go
3) old light plugged back in and it works
4) i am pretty sure ballasts are different.

The Al unit responds to self leveling and high beam motor. So i think the ballast might be out. But the unit looks almost as good as new so i would doubt that it is shot? Is it common for them to go out easily?

terraphantm
08-06-2016, 07:55 PM
Probably Ballast or igniter. Can't really tell which one without swapping one of them for a known good piece.

az3579
08-07-2016, 06:42 AM
The Al unit responds to self leveling and high beam motor. So i think the ballast might be out. But the unit looks almost as good as new so i would doubt that it is shot? Is it common for them to go out easily?

Did you buy from a place that offers a small warranty? Did they test the parts? If so, they are liable to provide a good working part if it was sold as such.

wookim.design
08-10-2016, 11:30 PM
Did you buy from a place that offers a small warranty? Did they test the parts? If so, they are liable to provide a good working part if it was sold as such.

I asked seller if we could do a partial refund on the lamp because the condition of the lamp looks almost new and the price was great. Seller agreed and with the money i got back I bought another ballast that has a warranty so I am hoping that is going to fix it.

wookim.design
08-26-2016, 12:37 PM
it was the ballast. replaced and now it is working. It's pretty shocking how much Al is brighter than ZKW. Finally, I can drive at night without turning on the fog lamps!

az3579
08-26-2016, 07:53 PM
Great news!
I loved the lighting of my ZKWs when I bought the car because I was used to crappy halogens from my E30 prior to that. Little did I realize that they were actually very dim, #becauseZKW...

Putting in AL projectors definitely gave me a shock initially as well with how much better my lighting was. (Now I have FX-R projectors)

Working AL's will be all you need, other than standard bulb replacements. :thumbsup