PDA

View Full Version : Removing seats for weight savings on a DD for track days

stephenkirsh
06-23-2016, 07:39 PM
Looking to save weight for track days by removing the front passenger seat and the rear bench/back rest. I've read on E46F (lol?) that it's about 40 pounds front + 35 pounds rear. 75 pounds, not bad for 15 min worth of work?

So the front passenger seat comes out and triggers an error message. I plan on getting PA Soft and running it through VM Ware on my MacBook to reset that after the track day.

Rear bench pops out in like 90 seconds. I haven't taken out the back rest on the rear seats before... any challenges there?

Anybody see any problems with doing any of this?

az3579
06-24-2016, 05:12 AM
Rear bench pops out in like 90 seconds. I haven't taken out the back rest on the rear seats before... any challenges there?

Do you have folding seats? If so, it'll be more work - you have to remove a Torx bolt in between the seats, from which the seats slide out. Not a big deal, just slightly more effort than ones without folding rears.

The side bolsters pop out and pull up. You'll have to use a bit of force to get them loose. Be careful because those plastic tabs on them that slide into the holder like to break.

stephenkirsh
06-24-2016, 03:57 PM
The rear seats are NOT folding.

Do you think it's not worth the effort for the weight savings?

az3579
06-24-2016, 04:27 PM

Personally I don't think it's worth it, but if you don't mind doing the work, it shouldn't hurt. Keep in mind, keeping the passenger seat in could help with weight balance, depending on the track. Taking it out would make the left side that much heavier.

It's easy to do though so you have the option.

Sent from my LG V10 on Tapatalk

derbo
06-24-2016, 07:32 PM
They are about 40lbs. Honestly spare tire is the max I would do. Two recaros would even out lateral weight. :) like BP said the rear seats are marginally better. You can probably take a long bathroom break and it be better haha

-Sent from Mobile

stephenkirsh
06-25-2016, 10:56 AM
Ok I guess I'll keep the passenger seat.

My main track is Sonoma, if that helps anybody with weight balance.

derbo
06-25-2016, 02:48 PM
Ok I guess I'll keep the passenger seat.

My main track is Sonoma, if that helps anybody with weight balance.

We have yet to go to a track today together!

Is there a reason why you want to shave the weight? Perhaps I'm not removing enough stuff but I certainly don't feel the difference. Even with a passenger (110-210lbs) I honestly can still be close to my times without people in the car. Perhaps not the fastest but I'm still enjoying myself without the hassle of removing stuff at the pits.

stephenkirsh
06-25-2016, 03:18 PM
From my autox days, I could very much feel the difference in weight with a passenger. So that's my perspective.

I just got signed off to group 2, so I haven't done a track day without passengers yet.

If there was a clean/cheap option, I'd remove the sun roof and be done with it lol.

derbo
06-25-2016, 04:33 PM
From my autox days, I could very much feel the difference in weight with a passenger. So that's my perspective.

I just got signed off to group 2, so I haven't done a track day without passengers yet.

If there was a clean/cheap option, I'd remove the sun roof and be done with it lol.

You can order a new headliner and seal the sunroof with the CF sunroof delete.

I'm sure in AutoX you feel it. Im just not sure shaving that small amount of weight will make a noticeable difference on the track.

I bet a corner balance with 1 passenger and half a tank of gas would more beneficial than strippjng weight.

-Sent from a fancy smartphone

stephenkirsh
06-26-2016, 01:26 PM
Ok. I'll just focus on more seat time, as that'll yield a bigger difference.

derbo
06-26-2016, 02:32 PM
Ok. I'll just focus on more seat time, as that'll yield a bigger difference.

Definitely! Besides it's cooler to say you have a full interior and getting 1:xx lap times. :)

stephenkirsh
06-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Lol my fastest lap has been 2:17 at Sonoma. Doubt I can find 18 seconds on stock suspension and my current tires.

derbo
06-27-2016, 01:20 PM
Lol my fastest lap has been 2:17 at Sonoma. Doubt I can find 18 seconds on stock suspension and my current tires.

It's entirely possible. I ran a 2:01 with my setup prior to the M3 rear end and Stoptech Brakes. I'm sure with tires/brake pads you could shave a significant amount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkXIPXVMdzI

az3579
06-27-2016, 03:32 PM
It's entirely possible. I ran a 2:01 with my setup prior to the M3 rear end and Stoptech Brakes. I'm sure with tires/brake pads you could shave a significant amount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkXIPXVMdzI
This. You'd be surprised how much more can be squeezed out of a car as-is. Change out key components like brakes and tires and you've opened up a ton of extra time to be saved.

stephenkirsh
06-27-2016, 03:54 PM
1.) I said without changing tires
2.) my car is an auto, so not quite apples to apples.

az3579
06-27-2016, 04:02 PM
1.) I said without changing tires
2.) my car is an auto, so not quite apples to apples.
1) Tires are the most effective upgrade you can do, so it's logical he mentioned it, though he didn't actually say you should change them
2) Irrelevant - gears can be selected manually. Time differences between auto and manual cars are very small with the same driver

The best thing you can do without changing anything is obviously improve! :)

stephenkirsh
06-27-2016, 07:21 PM
1.) Derek, what tires were you on for that? I'm on BF Goodrich G Force Sport C2. They're pretty good for $120 a tire, but they definitely run out of grip in a few of the higher speed turns.
2.) Everybody always says autos are slower, and I'm pretty sure they are, at least above 75mph. Below that, yea, they're probably the same. I definitely don't have problems keeping up with M3s or 911s driven by newbies. I know the tranny isn't holding me back!

stephenkirsh
06-27-2016, 07:22 PM
Here's my last session from May @ Sonoma; passed an F80 m3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ZSkrQFkSY

derbo
06-27-2016, 07:34 PM
1.) Derek, what tires were you on for that? I'm on BF Goodrich G Force Sport C2. They're pretty good for $120 a tire, but they definitely run out of grip in a few of the higher speed turns.
2.) Everybody always says autos are slower, and I'm pretty sure they are, at least above 75mph. Below that, yea, they're probably the same. I definitely don't have problems keeping up with M3s or 911s driven by newbies. I know the tranny isn't holding me back!

1. Since its 5-12-2012, I was on old 255/35/18 Bridgestone RE11A on my Enkei RPF1s. I was on my swift springs on the ground control coilovers w/ carbotech brake pads. Your pace is definitely good! I think with more seat time, you will be able to manage your tire temperature and been even faster plus improving your tire wear management skills!

Okay mayb 1:xx lap time is a little ambitous but your video definitely looks like you can improve here and there and shave some time off!

2. Auto can be just as fast. Remember you have a 3.64 ratio vs the 3.07 on the 6spd which evens out the speed. I think you should be fine on sonoma because majority of the turns are below 75 :)

stephenkirsh
06-27-2016, 08:04 PM
Yea thank god for that 3.64 lol.

I thought your car looked pretty flat... GC coils make sense.

Managing tire temps... eh? How does one do that?

derbo
06-27-2016, 08:45 PM
Yea thank god for that 3.64 lol.

I thought your car looked pretty flat... GC coils make sense.

By ear and listening to the tires and learning its limits. :) A quiet tire is usually the quickest tire

az3579
06-28-2016, 11:58 AM

Managing air pressures and taking ambient temperatures into consideration go a long way toward managing tire temperatures and subsequently tire life. Unfortunately I suck at both of those things - I just drive the piss out of 'em till they start getting squirrely on me. lol

That's probably why my RE-71R's are pretty worn despite only having 3 days on them. lol

derbo
06-28-2016, 03:13 PM
Managing air pressures and taking ambient temperatures into consideration go a long way toward managing tire temperatures and subsequently tire life. Unfortunately I suck at both of those things - I just drive the piss out of 'em till they start getting squirrely on me. lol

That's probably why my RE-71R's are pretty worn despite only having 3 days on them. lol

Not to mention RE71-R wear fast as heck

az3579
06-28-2016, 03:37 PM
Not to mention RE71-R wear fast as heck
Yep - gotta love a square setup. I can move the fronts to the rear and probably get another 2 days out of them. :)

derbo
06-28-2016, 04:23 PM
Tire pressure + a tire probe will probably help get the best of of your alignment settings

az3579
06-29-2016, 03:37 AM
Tire pressure + a tire probe will probably help get the best of of your alignment settings

Haha, you said probe​. :rofl

stephenkirsh
06-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Yea I'm sure my stock alignment isn't helping, either.

derbo
06-29-2016, 01:00 PM
Yea I'm sure my stock alignment isn't helping, either.

You can adjust toe and camber to be geared towards more track friendly without changing your suspension components.

0 toe up front, some "toe in" the rear, higher camber in the front than rear.

stephenkirsh
06-30-2016, 02:08 PM
I have a suspension rebuild planned...some day. I had the car aligned about 10k ago for stock zhp settings. I'll save the cash for the alignment after the rebuild.

Stewbie
07-06-2016, 03:38 PM

I also have non-folding rear seat with no pass through. The rear seat bottom is easy to remove, but I've had no luck removing the rear seat back. If the internet is right, you just need to tug in the right place and it pops off, but I've yet to find the right place. If anyone knows how this is done, I'd appreciate some pointers and some pics.

I removed my centre headrest and the mounts shifted, so it won't go back in. I want to get in there and fix that.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk