PDA

View Full Version : Installing Paddle Shifter

Johnd
05-21-2016, 07:58 AM
Is there a way to use my existing steering wheel to install paddle shifters. My wheel only has 49K miles on it and looks new. Most of the ones I am seeing on ebay with paddles look very worn. I understand I will need to get the clock spring and harness but can the paddles be added to the existing wheel?

ELCID86
05-21-2016, 08:06 AM
Yes, any E46 wheel. You just need the SMG clock spring and wiring.

Pip
05-21-2016, 09:46 AM
Yes, any E46 wheel. You just need the SMG clock spring and wiring.

This might be true but fails to mention that you'd need to cut the paddle holes and it might be difficult to source the needed paddle parts separate from an actual wheel. Much easier to just pay $250 or less for an SMG wheel in good condition or pay less for a poor condition wheel and refurbish.

ELCID86
05-21-2016, 11:38 AM
This might be true but fails to mention that you'd need to cut the paddle holes and it might be difficult to source the needed paddle parts separate from an actual wheel. Much easier to just pay $250 or less for an SMG wheel in good condition or pay less for a poor condition wheel and refurbish.

Thanks. Sorry for the mislead.

Johnd
05-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the feedback.. I like the wheel that is on the car - it has the perferated (holes) on the side and is very nice to drive. I might buy one of the beat up wheels on ebay and try to combine the two. thanks for the feedback

Johnd
06-05-2016, 01:48 PM
Has anyone ever converted a non paddle wheel to a paddle wheel? I really like my wheel and have no problem buying another one for parts. Just want to know how hard it is to cut up the existing one

Pip
06-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Has anyone ever converted a non paddle wheel to a paddle wheel? I really like my wheel and have no problem buying another one for parts. Just want to know how hard it is to cut up the existing one

I'm sure it can be done but similar to a manual swap I'd say just buy a nice m3 SMG wheel or a poor one and have it wrapped by Mike at cobywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
06-05-2016, 05:09 PM
That might make me consider a Step trans even though I know it would never be as quick or smooth as the DCT.

wsmeyer
06-05-2016, 05:17 PM
I have my doubt that a wheel could be successfully modded. Once you cut that type of rubber it's nearly impossible to keep it from splitting

C00KIE M0NSTER
06-09-2016, 02:40 PM
I'm sure it can be done but similar to a manual swap I'd say just buy a nice m3 SMG wheel or a poor one and have it wrapped by Mike at cobywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 for CobyWheel! :thumbsup

danewilson77
06-10-2016, 03:49 PM
+1 for CobyWheel! :thumbsup
+2

S7 Edge, out