PDA

View Full Version : New Northeast Member

Ernest
05-20-2016, 07:54 AM
Hello Mafiosos! I'm really pleased to join this fantastic group of knowledge sharing ZHP enthusiasts! Here's the book on my BMW experience so far... With the help of my 14 yr old son I purchased my first BMW last April and I'm really glad we ended up targeting a ZHP. Thanks to you guys I changed my search criteria from M3 to ZHP, for all the right reasons. When EAG snagged a nice 04 M3 with 23k on it less than 10 miles from me I knew the game was not in my favor so we switched to ZHP's :fistpump. I'm perfectly happy with our decision to buy a low mileage ZHP which was pretty well cared for by the original owner, who happened to be an hour away from me. Because of this forum, my son and I are learning pretty quickly that most of the maintenance and modifications can be done on our own, which I love since I've been told that I'm a little bit picky...:foottap

So, I have 2003 silbergrau metallic 6 speed manual with Alcantara and cloth interior, purchased with 45k on the clock from the original owner, as mentioned. Pirelli P Zero Nero's (decent tires) with 2k miles on them. Nicely tinted windows and not much else, no cold weather package or lumbar (the only thing I wish it had). Oil was changed every 3k miles or every year whichever came first. Also, regularly hand washed and waxed with the hi end Zymol so the paint is in great shape...with the exception of a 3/8 in square scrape on the passenger door. It's probably a 9/10 interior and 8/10 exterior. No rust to speak of. It's really a weekend/road trip/excursion car. I work from home and when I need to travel I use my '04 MDX. I'm pretty much using P21S exterior and Sonax interior care products and since the PO did such a good wax job over teh years I sealed it with Menzerna which is extremely easy and leaves a very nice, deep durable finish.

Upon purchase my PPI revealed that an early inspection II was needed so I elected to pay for that by having a well known M5 mechanic do the work....and like most first time owners I kind of paid thru the nose. :eyetwitch Once my nose got back into joint I started down the DIY path, and haven't looked back.

Work I paid for:

-Full Insp II w/ NGK Plugs, Fuel Filter, and all BMW fluids
-Belts, tensioners, pulleys
-Water pump (OEM I think Graf-mistake)
-TStat and Housing (Behr)
-Exp Tank (OE)
- -Hoses were not done for some strange reason
-PS reservoir, suction and return hoses
-Vanos Oil line
-FCAB's (OE-another mistake)
-CDV delete
-SS brake lines (Stop Tech)
All in all, the M5 mechanic did a good job but didn't offer up the better parts, so I will end up replacing them myself

Work my son and I recently completed over a long weekend:

-Koni Yellow front and rear on OE springs (did it right, credit to posting by BMW Curves, with input from Slater, Vas and others)
---OE Sachs struts were in ok shape, but the rear shocks had zero rebound...at 48k!!
- -Rogue Eng RSM's
- -Lemforder front mounts with BMW reinforcement plates

* looking for input on my front right spring picture. It went in exactly the same way it came out based on the placement on the spring pads. But, comparing it to the left front, the markings are obviously not on center and it looks somewhat off balance. Drive-wise I feel no difference. I thought William's - BMW Curves- looked about the same as mine from his pics.

-Motul 8100 exess motor oil change, Mann filter
-Redline MTL gear oil
-Redline 75W90 diff oil

Next on the list, hope to complete most of it in June.
- completing the suspension refresh- everything except subframe. thinking of Bimmerworld RTAB's
- Trans and Engine mounts, thinking of M3 OE (slight resistance going into 2nd gear)
- Diff bushings
- Shifter rebuild (UUC, a la slater method) (slight resistance going into 2nd gear)
- SS Clutch line
- Clutch stop
- Stewart Water pump
- Hoses, temp sensors
- Underdrive Pulley set
- Shark injector. Or AA. Or Evolve tune- both can be done within an hour drive. Really need help with this decision!
- AfE CAI or just a K&N drop in filter

Here are some pics, assuming I uploaded them correctly and they are sized properly, I think they are medium.

Jim

slater
05-20-2016, 08:05 AM
welcome, jim! whereabouts in NY are you?

great looking car, and nice find - original owner with 45K! sweet. and you can always keep your eye out for a set of alcantara seats with lumbar and swap them in. :)

glad we could be of help here - that's what this forum is for. looking forward to seeing your progress. feel free to PM with questions about the shift linkage or BW RTABs (or anything ;)) if needed.

also - excellent that you are your son are working together on the car! my son will be 9 soon, and likes helping too! :)

:cheers

Ernest
05-20-2016, 08:21 AM
hey thanks peter, glad to hear from you since you're posts are so entertaining and informative...I think you won me over when you said "oh my crappity crap crap" or something like that about one of your improvements. I'm down on the island off the great south bay and fire island. I've been a boater for some time but I'm shifting the little spare time I have to BMW's as my son is very mechanical so it suites him really well, and is a great thing to enjoy with your son as he gets older.

Vas
05-20-2016, 09:07 AM
Welcome. Great looking zhp.

Glad to hear you have something to bond with your son over. That is what my dad and I did when I was growing up and it taught me alot.

I do not recall exactly the spring placement.

slater
05-20-2016, 09:32 AM
hey thanks peter, glad to hear from you since you're posts are so entertaining and informative...I think you won me over when you said "oh my crappity crap crap" or something like that about one of your improvements. I'm down on the island off the great south bay and fire island. I've been a boater for some time but I'm shifting the little spare time I have to BMW's as my son is very mechanical so it suites him really well, and is a great thing to enjoy with your son as he gets older.

awesome! :cheers

fredo
05-20-2016, 11:07 AM
Welcome, sir. That was a good find ! :thumbsup

Ernest
05-20-2016, 01:27 PM
Welcome. Great looking zhp.

Glad to hear you have something to bond with your son over. That is what my dad and I did when I was growing up and it taught me alot.

I do not recall exactly the spring placement.
Thanks Vas I love the his and hers zhp's... I bet you never heard that before:)

Ernest
05-20-2016, 01:46 PM
Welcome, sir. That was a good find ! :thumbsup
Thanks Fredo and same to you on your sweet Imola find. I did the license plate tow hook shift too but had no luck getting a ZHP plate.

3ZHP
05-20-2016, 02:15 PM
Welcome! I'm originally from that snowy part of the state. Nice find and have fun working with your son while it lasts. I kinda miss that, my son's been out on his own for years and now 700 miles away. Not sure I mind missing today's project for him.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/04b8f55543479f55540c5c9fb227a5ec.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/e8134c092931e72c0f74cae910290306.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

Ernest
05-20-2016, 05:14 PM
Thanks 3ZHPGUY. Looks like you're going to have fun this this weekend! I see you were an early adopter of the ZHP, great foresight.

san
05-20-2016, 06:18 PM
Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELCID86
05-20-2016, 06:26 PM
Thanks for sharing. Welcome.

danewilson77
05-21-2016, 06:03 AM
Welcome.

S7 Edge, out

Oli77
05-21-2016, 10:34 AM
Very nice car! and that engine is drooleable.

About the springs and shocks, I see you added the reinforcement plates. Did you find the ride height was about 1/2 an inch too tall compared to before?

This happened to me when I reused the springs and replaced the shocks with identical ones.

Ernest
05-21-2016, 12:53 PM
Very nice car! and that engine is drooleable.

About the springs and shocks, I see you added the reinforcement plates. Did you find the ride height was about 1/2 an inch too tall compared to before?

This happened to me when I reused the springs and replaced the shocks with identical ones.
Thanks Oli. I didn't think of taking a measurement of the stock set up before I did the Yellow Koni's, but the front shock with stock springs is 25 5/8" from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well as measured from the center of the wheel. The front and rear "seems" like they're about the same, maybe slightly higher than stock. I only have the fronts turned down 3/4 turn and the rears 1/2 turn during the break in period and I only have about 100 miles on them so far.

Oli77
05-21-2016, 01:06 PM
Didn't realize those konis were adjustable. That's why I asked the question. Mine are not adjustable (KYBs) and my car sits a little taller after the reinforcement plate install.

BMWCurves
05-21-2016, 09:01 PM
First off, welcome! I'm glad to hear the info you've found here to be useful.

As for the springs on the front struts, it's hard to tell from your photos. The springs are not perfectly round, and are in fact sort of triangular shaped on the bottom. The end should sit maybe 1.5-2" from the "tip" of the triangle of the spring pad/seat. It's hard to describe, but I can be more detailed if necessary, just let me know!

danewilson77
05-22-2016, 02:46 AM
Beautiful. Welcome.

S7 Edge, out

Ernest
05-22-2016, 07:24 AM
First off, welcome! I'm glad to hear the info you've found here to be useful.

As for the springs on the front struts, it's hard to tell from your photos. The springs are not perfectly round, and are in fact sort of triangular shaped on the bottom. The end should sit maybe 1.5-2" from the "tip" of the triangle of the spring pad/seat. It's hard to describe, but I can be more detailed if necessary, just let me know!

Great to hear from you BMW Curves and really appreciate all the details and lessons learned that go into your postings!

Here are the pictures of your passenger side strut and mine, as well as my drivers side strut. Notice the 2 painted marks on the factory spring which shows the spring orientation. On the pass side they are off to the left (rear of the car) and the spring looks off center. Contrast this to the drivers side and the markings are dead center and the spring looks centered. So, trying to figure out why BMW shipped them from the factory this way, or did I do something wrong? I'm pretty certain that mine went on exactly the way they came off, as I took notice of both the markings and the pad indentations.

BMWCurves
05-22-2016, 07:48 AM
Ah, I gotcha. I don't think the alignment of the painted markings matter, only that the springs are seated in the correct position on the strut itself. But I believe they are from your photos.

I can't verify this, but I believe the springs are the same for right and left, so there will naturally be some rotation of the painted markings.

Ernest
05-22-2016, 08:03 AM
Makes sense. Cross that one off this list!
Now I need to figure out how to get my DME flashed to the latest code safely. The only real issues ever taken care of on may car by BMW were replacing the Bremi coils campaign, and removing and upgrading the DME for the 4K lag. Both were done way back in 2005! Do I need to go to the dealer for this or would a good Indy have access to the code?

ELCID86
05-22-2016, 08:53 AM
Spring seating looks to be correct. The tendency is to put the end of the spring into the slot, but that is NOT correct.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/15f074c3a1ec3720be8f50809968bb15.jpg

Ernest
05-22-2016, 09:26 AM
Excellent. Thanks for the feedback !

Boca_RatonZHP
05-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Welcome! Beautiful find on that ZHP. Congrats!!!