PDA

View Full Version : MUST-REPLACE components for low-mileage 2006 coupe?

Dual
03-13-2016, 06:56 AM
I've been doing a lot of research here (and on E46Fanatics) but I can't find a single objective response to my search: threads wander.

Having just bought a superclean 37,000 mi. 2006 coupe, I'm wondering which components are must-do's for prompt replacement: parts that age and pose a risk of damage. (I think I'm up on fluids that should be changed, but...?).

Various threads discuss this and the recommendations are pretty much all over the place. I'd like to know what I need to get changed out to be running my car safely and responsibly, not a best-of-all possible-words update of all key components.

Anyone care to chime in? Many thanks....

danewilson77
03-13-2016, 07:13 AM
How does it drive? Anything stand out?

Sent from an S6 Edge

Dual
03-13-2016, 07:27 AM
Great question! I think everything's fine (but I want to do that CDV mod right away).

danewilson77
03-13-2016, 07:41 AM
I would do that then, keep up on oil changes and follow a conservative service I/II schedule.

Is this a daily driver?

Sent from an S6 Edge

Dual
03-13-2016, 07:45 AM
Correction: I guess it's not the CDV I had trouble with yesterday. A sudden deep dip in power when I stepped on it for a passing maneuver. 6-speed.

Dual
03-13-2016, 07:46 AM
Yes, a DD for sure. So you're not seeing replacing components proactively?

BMWCurves
03-13-2016, 08:45 AM
For me at 50k miles I did a lot of preventative maintenance but it was probably overkill. In your case I would replace original fluids just for ease of mind since they're 10 years old. The other big one that comes to mind would be belts since a snapped belt can wreak havoc.

Otherwise everything else is just do it as it comes, IMO. Suspension parts should be okay, although our cars' bushings are rubber so they can dry out and become brittle so you might want to check them. Same with shocks/struts. Mine were shot by 50k miles. Check the cooling hoses for any bulging or signs of failure. Does your car struggle to come to operating temperature? You might have a failing thermostat. I haven't touched my VANOS or my DISA but that could have some issues by now (I really don't know).

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.

BADCLOWN
03-13-2016, 08:55 AM
Idk if the "4K dip" that most of our cars have would be that deep during a 6th gear push, but that's related to various things (vanos, DISA, DME reflash to current software for the car)

Dual
03-13-2016, 09:12 AM
Thank you, folks! I did a lot of reading on this but forgot almost as quickly as I read: should I be worried about an engine fan self-destructing?

Dual
03-13-2016, 09:15 AM
Idk if the "4K dip" that most of our cars have would be that deep during a 6th gear push, but that's related to various things (vanos, DISA, DME reflash to current software for the car) I should state I'm not sure I was that high in the gears: I will have to keep an eye on it. This did not seem to be something the 4K dip could be blamed for. I will keep driving and see if I can learn more. Thanks!

ELCID86
03-13-2016, 06:10 PM
Remove the clutch delay valve. You will like it better I'm pretty certain.
Even though you have low miles, there are parts that go do to age. Keep an eye and ear out for unusual sounds etc.
Belts been changed? Anyone recommend the expansion tank?

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

ecrabb
03-14-2016, 07:51 AM
I'm in a similar boat. '04, 44,000 miles, so coming up on 12 years old. Probably not quite as fresh as your car. I'll be following the thread, though.

Here's what's on my to-do list right now:
- Tires. Just bought a new set. One tire was original. Yikes. Refurbishing wheels and installing tires this week/next. Check your dates.
- Front control-arm bushings are shot. Parts in cabinet.
- Drive shaft guibo/flex disc. It's rubber, 12 years old, and not expensive.
- I think somebody may have changed the cooling hoses, but I'm not certain. Need to look into it.
- Ditto on accessory belt.
- The rear suspension is squeaky when I get out of the car, so I'll need to address that. Probably struts. Pretty old.
- Probably will try the clutch-delay valve delete Shawn mentioned.

That'll be enough maintenance to keep me busy for the summer, I think. ;)

SC

ecrabb
03-14-2016, 07:55 AM
Thank you, folks! I did a lot of reading on this but forgot almost as quickly as I read: should I be worried about an engine fan self-destructing?
With your mileage, I can't see the fan itself coming apart. I think what usually happens is an old belt comes apart and destroys the fan, which can then grenade the expansion tank or even ding the hood. I need to assess age of my belts and hoses... I think I'll do it if I can't determine when they were replaced.

SC

johnrando
03-14-2016, 05:51 PM
What they said, and the expansion tank if not mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ELCID86
03-15-2016, 03:40 PM
With your mileage, I can't see the fan itself coming apart. I think what usually happens is an old belt comes apart and destroys the fan, which can then grenade the expansion tank or even ding the hood. I need to assess age of my belts and hoses... I think I'll do it if I can't determine when they were replaced.

SC

Vas?

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

Vas
03-15-2016, 06:06 PM
If it is a 6 speed, the fan is electrical so don't worry about that.

Rubber and plastic is the concern here. They age with time.

Are doing the work yourself or taking it to a shop?

If it was my car, I would throw a cooling system kit on it from tischer bmw. Add pulleys and belts and call it and day. Then be set till 100k.

Otherwise take a look at the tires and brakes. And replace fluids.

fw_fw
03-15-2016, 06:26 PM
If it is a 6 speed, the fan is electrical so don't worry about that.

Rubber and plastic is the concern here. They age with time.

Are doing the work yourself or taking it to a shop?

If it was my car, I would throw a cooling system kit on it from tischer bmw. Add pulleys and belts and call it and day. Then be set till 100k.

Otherwise take a look at the tires and brakes. And replace fluids.

Agree with Vas 100%, as a matter of fact that is what I did: Cooling system Kit from Tischer, and then replaced the belts, pulleys, and tensioners. Mine has a few more miles (76K) but all of that was original on my car, so between the mileage and years it was time. Oil & filter changed, brakes had been completely replaced by the first owner. Now it's time to do the cosmetic stuff and enjoy the car on a nice day....

Dual
03-15-2016, 07:53 PM
Thanks to all: this is a great help! (Most of the maintenance work will be done by an independent mechanic)

jorbon
03-25-2016, 09:02 PM
Phew- relieved you 2 said whole cooling system. Too many years to trust all the plastic bits to hold up. Good insurance against twisting that lovely long head like a taco shell...

L0veZHP
03-26-2016, 01:28 AM
I follow this http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=595553

BCS_ZHP
03-26-2016, 05:20 AM
At that low mileage but 10 years old, here's what I'd recommend:
1. cooling system as others have already said, do the water pump, thermostat, upper & lower radiator hoses, temp sensor, expansion tank, and ET cap.
2. when doing cooling system, you have to remove belts so replace those and consider replacing the tensioner and pulley
3. your upper & lower air intake ducts are rubber, they become hard with age from the heat under the hood, recommend replacing both since its only $50-60; while in there, clean your MAF, DISA, and ICV. This level of cleaning may cure your power dip too.
4. look at your oil filter housing stand, is there oil on the side of the engine block behind that? if so, replace the gasket, its only $5, but you've done all the labor to gain access to it while you're doing the cooling system
5. jack up your right front wheel, grab the wheel at the 3 & 9 o'clock position, try to wiggle it, is there excessive movement? if so, replace your front control arm bushings
6. due to age, look at the side of your valve cover, do you see any oil residue? if so, replace your valve cover gasket and replace your spark plugs while you're in there. buy the valve cover gasket kit which has the rubber grommets for each valve cover bolt as those have hardened over time too.
7. there's a $2 gasket on your power steering cap, its rubber and old, replace that so you don't get oil residue on the p/s reservoir itself.

BMWCurves
03-26-2016, 07:41 AM
I haven't had to do it, but if you're taking off your intake boots, other people have suggested having an extra f-connector on hand since they seem to be fragile.

Dual
03-26-2016, 12:47 PM
I want to thank you all for your input here. I should say that I recently consulted my new local guy, who is a former BMW shop mechanic (left for integrity). He thinks I should just change the belts for now. Thots on this reaction?

BCS_ZHP
03-26-2016, 07:38 PM
It's the old commercial, " pay me now or pay me later". I recommended preventative maintenance steps I would take if in your shoes, but you don't have to. Unfortunately due to the nature, and age, of these cars all the things I listed will happen to you eventually, your choice if you want to preempt that or wait for it to happen.

Dual
03-27-2016, 12:06 AM
Thank you. Believe me, I hear you.

az3579
03-27-2016, 06:40 AM
I want to thank you all for your input here. I should say that I recently consulted my new local guy, who is a former BMW shop mechanic (left for integrity). He thinks I should just change the belts for now. Thots on this reaction?

It's the old commercial, " pay me now or pay me later". I recommended preventative maintenance steps I would take if in your shoes, but you don't have to. Unfortunately due to the nature, and age, of these cars all the things I listed will happen to you eventually, your choice if you want to preempt that or wait for it to happen.

I'm with Bruce on this one. These cars are old now... age does bad things to plastic and rubber, so I disagree with your mechanic's assessment.
I'm also the guy who replaces almost everything in a system just so I don't ever have to flatbed my car. "If it can leave me stranded, it's getting replaced."

jorbon
03-28-2016, 09:32 PM

Do. The. Cooling. System.

Anything else can be dealt with as things fail/after they leave you stranded.

When (not if) you drop the 8+ litres of coolant onto the pavement, it is highly likely that you tweak the head or worse. Clearly (to me anyway,) not worth the gamble.

(Ah, ok, well, I mean, not worth the gamble, again... my supercharged e36 318 had high miles, so I had already been through a couple of cooling-system refreshes when I waited too long and, yep, fried the old m44 mill and had to put a new engine in it, just because I got cocky about this critical element. That car was a blast, but that's a different post...)