PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Clown Nose mirror with alternative

Dual
02-29-2016, 05:28 AM
My car has the cold weather, performance, premium and Xenon packages. The rearview mirror has a large-style clown nose and a flip-open door for Assist and SOS (as best I recall the names). Right now autodim is not working, and I really wanted to have compass and garage functions on the mirror (and a nose job, so to speak). So I've purchased this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262312033499 (http://tinyurl.com/z3n6la4)

The guy who sold me the car represented contemporary BMW mirrors as largely interchangeable and said I'd be able to snap this mirror into place to have the garage door, autodim and compass functions available to me. So, for ZHP owners here, I have some questions:

Should I expect things to go as easily as represented? I will be checking fuses as regards the functions involved. Anything to keep an eye out for?
Any advice for removing/installing the mirror? I believe I rotate it CCW with pressure against the glass to remove?
I think I've found links for garage remote programming instructions, but if anyone wants to chime in...

Many thanks to all, in advance.

cakM3
02-29-2016, 06:20 AM
You have BMW assist so there will be some modification to the replacement mirror to keep in mind. On the replacement mirror you will need to pull out pins 4,5,6 and 7 so you don't fry the mirror electronics...

When I took out my BMW Assist mirror (with the Assist and SOS panel), I plugged in my ///M Oval rear view mirror (because there were people on the forum saying the mirror was plug-and-play) and I started seeing smoke come out of the mirror once I applied power to the car... I immediately realized I had to do more research and found out for BMW Assist equipped cars there were 4 pins that had to be pulled first before the replacement mirror would work (in my case the ///M Oval rear view mirror)

The mirror still worked although there was part of the circuit that got fried... the burnt electrical component smell did eventually go away from the mirror but if you remove pins 4,5,6 and 7 you won't have to deal with all of this.

I don't think you can use a mirror that has the integrated compass, I remember seeing that somewhere in one of the forums, so my advice is to do some research through M3Forum, e46Fanatics, and others to make sure the mirror you want to use can be modded to work in your BMW Assist equipped BMW :thumbsup

Mirrors rotate 45 degrees and then come off. Very easy to take off and a little challenging to put back on if you never done this before but not too hard...

KevinC
02-29-2016, 06:26 AM
When I bought my ZHP 4 years ago the mirror was bad. I was able to find an E46 convertible mirror w/Homelink (they have Homelink right on the mirror, as opposed to the coupe/sedan, which got the ceiling-mounted Homelink, when so equipped), and also with BMW Assist. In that case it was just plug & play and has worked fine ever since. The info above is spot-on - your situation is stickier.

Dual
02-29-2016, 06:26 AM
Super helpful! Thanks for this.

Dual
02-29-2016, 07:02 AM
I spent some time on the phone with bavarian-car-parts, the vendor, and the guy was very helpful. He seems to think that if I take care of those four pins I should have a working mirror with full function on the features I want.

ecrabb
02-29-2016, 08:58 AM
Awesome! Thanks for starting this thread!

I intend to do the same. My mirror has the large clown nose, but no other functionality whatsoever, including any autodim. I'm tired of having my retinas burned out at stoplights by lifted pickups with headlights at the perfect eye level. I can't believe BMW sold the car with a non-dimming mirror, but then no prismatic mirror with the flip tab... You know, like a freakin' base model $15k Chevy or Honda. BMW is so weird about some things.

Anyway, I read about people letting the magic smoke out of the auto-dimming mirrors, and don't relish the thought of ruining a $150 mirror, so I planned to do a lot more research. But, now I can just wait to hear how things work out for you! ;)

Seriously, keep us posted!

Subscribed.

Cheers,
SC

slater
02-29-2016, 09:02 AM
Awesome! Thanks for starting this thread!

I intend to do the same. My mirror has the large clown nose, but no other functionality whatsoever, including any autodim. I'm tired of having my retinas burned out at stoplights by lifted pickups with headlights at the perfect eye level. I can't believe BMW sold the car with a non-dimming mirror, but then no prismatic mirror with the flip tab... You know, like a freakin' base model $15k Chevy or Honda. BMW is so weird about some things.

Anyway, I read about people letting the magic smoke out of the auto-dimming mirrors, and don't relish the thought of ruining a $150 mirror, so I planned to do a lot more research. But, now I can just wait to hear how things work out for you! ;)

Seriously, keep us posted!

Subscribed.

Cheers,
SC

i think you twist the red nose on the non-autodim mirrors to get them to flip down?

AggieBlake
02-29-2016, 09:07 AM
i think you twist the red nose on the non-autodim mirrors to get them to flip down?

Correct.

ecrabb
02-29-2016, 09:26 AM
BTW, I have a vert, which appears to complicate things further... In verts, the receiver for keyless entry is in the mirror apparently. The vert-compatible mirrors are identifiable because they have a "315mhz" in specs. As such, those mirrors appear to be much less plentiful and therefore higher-priced. Awesome.

The newest part number - 51169123513 - is listed on eBay by New Century BMW for $773.72, while the older part numbers aren't found in a search at all, including old listings. Looks like I'll be waiting awhile.

Can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

SC

ecrabb
02-29-2016, 09:27 AM

Correct.

OMG, seriously?!!?! How the hell did I miss that?!! Can't wait to get home and try it tonight! Thanks, guys!

SC

slater
02-29-2016, 09:40 AM
OMG, seriously?!!?! How the hell did I miss that?!! Can't wait to get home and try it tonight! Thanks, guys!

SC

:cheers

cakM3
02-29-2016, 09:51 AM

SC

When you twist the clown nose, you shouldn't have to force it either so if you're getting a lot of resistance when twisting then don't force it. BMW rear view mirrors that aren't auto dim have the twisting clown nose and its easy to flip the mirror. My ZHP originally came with this type of mirror...

Dual
02-29-2016, 11:00 AM
I can't twist my clown's nose. What a thread this is turning out to be! :fistpump

I noticed for the first time today that I also have rain-activated wipers, in case that adds to the complication....

BMWCurves
02-29-2016, 11:29 AM
I can't twist my clown's nose. What a thread this is turning out to be! :fistpump

I noticed for the first time today that I also have rain-activated wipers, in case that adds to the complication....

If I remember correctly, the rain sensor is underneath the plastic cover where the mirror mounts to the windshield, but it isn't a part of the mirror itself, so you don't have to worry about it with regard to replacing your mirror.

I'm glad someone else spoke up about the removal of wires in the harness for cars with BMW Assist. I would not have known. I swapped my non-autodim mirror for one with autodim, Homelink, and a compass from an E90 and love it. Details about it and the guide I used can be found in my project thread here (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?15714-William-s-330Ci-ZHP-Maintenance-and-Project-Thread&p=429617#post429617) (relevant posts are #14-20).

derbo
02-29-2016, 12:29 PM
OP,

As Charlie mentioned, you must pull the pins out and you will be good to go. Pin 3 and Pin 10 need to have connections and you can set the compass to work. I have a E9x Homelink,AutoDim,Compass mirror in my ZHP and I had SOS before.

Scott ZHP
02-29-2016, 04:14 PM
This might help as well:

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mirror/compass.htm

The retrofit instructions linked at the bottom tell you how to set the compass zone and calibrate it. Just added one to my E53; bought it from LKQ for $38, it was plug and play. The E46 plug is different apparently. And as others have said, if your mirror has the 3button integrated Homelink and the SOS stuff, the pinouts are likely different.

cakM3
02-29-2016, 04:40 PM
OP,

As Charlie mentioned, you must pull the pins out and you will be good to go. Pin 3 and Pin 10 need to have connections and you can set the compass to work. I have a E9x Homelink,AutoDim,Compass mirror in my ZHP and I had SOS before.

More information:

'03 Oval Mirror with no Assist, no homelink (10 pin connector)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Pin 1 +12V when car is put in reverse, I believe so AD is disabled while backing up
Pin 2 +12V Constant source (Power "reciever" for remotes)
Pin 3 +12V Ignition source (Power AD circuitry)
Pin 4 O/S (-) Optical Sensor
Pin 5 O/S (+) Optical Sensor
Pin 6 O/S (-) Optical Sensor
Pin 7 O/S (+) Optical Sensor
Pin 8 ????
Pin 9 LED kathode (-) This is the clown nose LED
Pin 10 Ground

Note: that the O/S pins 4, 5, 6, 7 take up four pins and loop into each other (ie 4/6 and 5/7)

Now on the car side, an '05 M3 with Assist wiring is similar but different from other E46 vehicles.

'05 M3 Car connector located near rain sensor, no homelink (10 pin connector)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Pin 1 +12V when car is put in reverse, I believe so Auto Dimming is disabled while
Pin 2 -BLANK- NO CONNECTION
Pin 3 +12V Ignition source (Power Auto Dimming circuitry)
Pin 4 +12V Constant source (I-Bus for Assist)
Pin 5 Parking light +1.5V (used to light the Assist buttons)
Pin 6 ?????
Pin 7 +12V Constant source (Power "reciever" for remotes)
Pin 8 +12V Constant source
Pin 10 Ground

derbo
02-29-2016, 10:01 PM
More information:

'03 Oval Mirror with no Assist, no homelink (10 pin connector)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Pin 1 +12V when car is put in reverse, I believe so AD is disabled while backing up
Pin 2 +12V Constant source (Power "reciever" for remotes)
Pin 3 +12V Ignition source (Power AD circuitry)
Pin 4 O/S (-) Optical Sensor
Pin 5 O/S (+) Optical Sensor
Pin 6 O/S (-) Optical Sensor
Pin 7 O/S (+) Optical Sensor
Pin 8 ????
Pin 10 Ground

Note: that the O/S pins 4, 5, 6, 7 take up four pins and loop into each other (ie 4/6 and 5/7)

Now on the car side, an '05 M3 with Assist wiring is similar but different from other E46 vehicles.

'05 M3 Car connector located near rain sensor, no homelink (10 pin connector)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Pin 1 +12V when car is put in reverse, I believe so Auto Dimming is disabled while
Pin 2 -BLANK- NO CONNECTION
Pin 3 +12V Ignition source (Power Auto Dimming circuitry)
Pin 4 +12V Constant source (I-Bus for Assist)
Pin 5 Parking light +1.5V (used to light the Assist buttons)
Pin 6 ?????
Pin 7 +12V Constant source (Power "reciever" for remotes)
Pin 8 +12V Constant source
Pin 10 Ground

I remember making a post on e46f about this years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dual
03-31-2016, 10:37 AM
I found this video to be a big help regarding removing/installing the mirrors themselves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5R0WNXGpvI

I have removed the old and reinstalled the new with very little difficulty thanks to the vid. Reset the compass very easily as well.
Kinda putting off getting the garage door transmitters working, but I think it will work in the end...

BMWCurves
03-31-2016, 04:07 PM
I found this video to be a big help regarding removing/installing the mirrors themselves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5R0WNXGpvI

I have removed the old and reinstalled the new with very little difficulty thanks to the vid. Reset the compass very easily as well.
Kinda putting off getting the garage door transmitters working, but I think it will work in the end...

It's pretty easy, even with rolling codes (which I have). I used this guide:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4363430

Dual
04-01-2016, 02:10 AM
Thanks!

Tapatalk / iPhone

Oli77
09-11-2017, 05:02 PM
Rather than starting another thread, thought I would revive this one.

My car has a non-diming mirror and I just scored one from a member here (thanks Mathew).
My car also has a little door under the mirror with SOS and BMW assist buttons.

Unfortunately, a lot of sites on the internet with DIYs on how to do this have lost links to so many photos (thanks Photobucket). I know that I need to get a +12 V switched and a ground into the harness and that I can get those from the area near the controls for the sunroof controls.

Do you guys agree that I bring +12 V to pin 3 and ground to pin 10?

I can keep pins 8 and 9 for the clown nose and the rest is not necessary?

I am getting the info from here (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1097788). If those who did this retrofit could take a look, that would be helpful.

Dual
10-18-2017, 11:24 PM
BUMP for Oli

John in VA
10-19-2017, 05:36 AM
Unfortunately, a lot of sites on the internet with DIYs on how to do this have lost links to so many photos (thanks Photobucket).

Try using the appropriate add-on to see the PB pix:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/ for Firefox.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embed-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj?hl=en for Chrome.

Often pasting the URL into the Wayback Machine at archive.org will also work, bringing up a cached version of the site.
Good luck!