PDA

View Full Version : MtechJon's ZHP project

MtechJon
01-25-2016, 10:57 PM
I found my ZHP about 2 months ago owned it for a month. Glad that I finally joined zhpmafia, been wanting to create this project thread for everyone's input and for future reference

Summary
2006 330Ci
performance package/ smokers package
made in 2005-10-12
Silbergrau Metallic - A08
90000 miles on it
Automatic transmission
The dealer didnt know anything about this car looks like they picked it up at an auction
I dont know much about the history except for the dmv reports and the carfax there is a report of a small crash

The problems:
CCV is covered in oil (got a new one and installing it tomorrow)
Oil sensor bad (got it with my ccv)
Intake boot whistles found a tear, just got a new oem one for right now
the lumbar on my seat was set to max and was stuck (fixed it will post some pics I took of repair)
my right head light doesn't adjust
was missing driver side reflector
The rims!
Front bumper looked like it got hit pretty good going to take it off and see what clips are broken
Interior leather is in pretty good condition the black cube trim is pretty scratched up in some places
removed the intake filter the other day that thing was so old it started braking apart in my hand replaced it with a k&n filter

Plan on doing the usual maintenance for these engines first before I start upgrading

Upgrades that im thinking about doing
Underdrive pulley kit (turner motorsport)
Silicone radiator hose and silicone intake boot (stett,ecs,mishimoto?)
Strut bar
ECS tuning seems to have some pretty good prices
recommendations on a good set of headers and exhaust?
Gloss black kidney grills
Joined the group buy for the 17" apex rims

Looks like the fender is bent in a little

The filter i pulled out

3ZHP
01-26-2016, 03:10 AM
Welcome and nice thread. I've had the Turner under drive pulleys on my ZHP for 70-80K and really like what it does for the car. The only issue I've had was with my power steering pump. I think it was a sticky valve that did correct itself however; I still have a slight wine at low or no speed. It may or may not be related to the pulleys.

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

Lorenzo
01-26-2016, 05:02 AM
Welcome!

fredo
01-26-2016, 06:24 AM
Welcome, man ! Your ZHP will look much better with APEX wheels.

Vas
01-26-2016, 06:42 AM
Welcome.

johnrando
01-26-2016, 07:58 AM
Welcome. We have a whole section on exhausts, but the TSE3 is definitely a favorite around here (and it's one of the louder exhausts). I don't know much about headers.

Afa boots, the Stetts are a tough fit at first, but get better once broken in. Not a lot of data on the Mishu... ones yet.

Tischner has great oem gloss black kidney grills.

I have the turner pulleys, really not much difference other than seemingly easier breathing at freeway speeds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MtechJon
01-26-2016, 08:26 AM
Upon further inspection of my ccv oembimmerparts sent me the climate control version, my car doesnt have the cold climate package but was reading that I can still install this version on my car as an upgrade but I can guarantee my car will never see temps below 30. Should I just install it either way or should I get the original one that i had ordered

MtechJon
01-26-2016, 08:34 AM
Welcome. We have a whole section on exhausts, but the TSE3 is definitely a favorite around here (and it's one of the louder exhausts). I don't know much about headers.

Afa boots, the Stetts are a tough fit at first, but get better once broken in. Not a lot of data on the Mishu... ones yet.

Tischner has great oem gloss black kidney grills.

I have the turner pulleys, really not much difference other than seemingly easier breathing at freeway speeds.

Thanks!
Do you know the quality on the ecs kidney grills, as long as they fit properly they should be fine just wondering because there cheap compared to others?

ELCID86
01-26-2016, 09:08 AM
Welcome. Glad you checked that filter!

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

BMWCurves
01-26-2016, 10:03 AM
Welcome! Your car looks nice, will definitely improve with some APEX ARC-8s! Let's go through your list

Plan on doing the usual maintenance for these engines first before I start upgrading

That's smart, and my preferred way of approaching a newly purchased used car.

CCV is covered in oil (got a new one and installing it tomorrow)

Upon further inspection of my ccv oembimmerparts sent me the climate control version, my car doesnt have the cold climate package but was reading that I can still install this version on my car as an upgrade but I can guarantee my car will never see temps below 30. Should I just install it either way or should I get the original one that i had ordered

I don't think installing the cold-climate CCV would be any than the standard one. The insulation shouldn't affect its function in normal temps, so you might as well skip the hassle of returning and waiting for a new part and just install it. It's also a good selling point if it goes to someone that lives in a colder climate.

Oil sensor bad (got it with my ccv)

A bad oil level sensor is common. I plan to replace mine during my next oil change.

Intake boot whistles found a tear, just got a new oem one for right now

Silicone radiator hose and silicone intake boot (stett,ecs,mishimoto?)

OEM should be fine. There might be a slight increase in proper air flow with a silicone boot from someone like Stett, and it will have a longer life, but OEM will do just fine for now.

As for silicone radiator hoses, I don't know too much about them being a failure point compared to other components in a cooling system. Someone else can discuss that.

the lumbar on my seat was set to max and was stuck (fixed it will post some pics I took of repair)

That's annoying, but glad you were able to fix it. Interested in your DIY on the repair.

my right head light doesn't adjust

That I'm not sure what you can do about. Do you mean it won't auto-level, or won't swivel when you turn the steering wheel? Someone else can chime in but it might be a failed adjustment motor or something else.

was missing driver side reflector

Have you since filled it in? I prefer the look of either clear reflectors or painted reflectors more than the amber ones. If you're looking for clear reflectors I believe Khoalty have a set, and I bought my painted reflectors from Bimmian and I really like them.

The rims!

Joined the group buy for the 17" apex rims

Smart plan, I'm on the group buy as well and am very excited for the performance it'll bring. I agree they'll look better than your current wheels. What color are you going with?

Front bumper looked like it got hit pretty good going to take it off and see what clips are broken

You might be able to PDR the dent on the front fender above the bumper, I'm not sure. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think there are some adjustment tabs underneath the bumper so you can get it to line up properly. Try and document whatever you see if you can.

Interior leather is in pretty good condition the black cube trim is pretty scratched up in some places

I have some scratches in my trim. I learned to live with it given the price tag for new parts. Sadly, our trim tends to show scratches pretty easily because of the pattern. If you want to replace the trim, wait for a part out car, you might get lucky.

Underdrive pulley kit (turner motorsport)

Others can chime in, such as Guy who already has. I don't have these but I have considered them for the small performance boost they're supposed to provide.

Strut bar. ECS tuning seems to have some pretty good prices

They have a couple good options, just a matter of how much you want to spend. Mason Engineering is supposed to have a great bar since it's a single piece of metal. I plan to wait for a sale and pick up the chrome OEM M3 strut bar since it's much cheaper than the black OEM M3 bar, and I'll just sand and paint it black.

recommendations on a good set of headers and exhaust?

There are a lot of options, but several members have had and enjoy the UUC TSE3 exhaust. Headers I'm less familiar with. Status Gruppe makes some good ones, eBay headers used to be popular, not sure what the best is.

Gloss black kidney grills. Do you know the quality on the ecs kidney grills, as long as they fit properly they should be fine just wondering because there cheap compared to others?

I think ECS Tuning's quality is supposed to be fine. They have the same number of slats as OEM so at least it will look the same. Another member asked about kidney grilles in this thread here (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?17452-Black-Kidney-Grilles) and it seems most members prefer the OEM BMW Performance gloss black grilles.

Hope that helps, and again, welcome!

johnrando
01-26-2016, 04:32 PM
You're welcome. I don't know the quality of the ECS Tuning ones, but likely someone can chime in.

Just_George
01-26-2016, 04:38 PM
Installed the ECS grills on both my cars ('04 330Ci and '03 330i ZHP) - fit, finish, and appearance are great!

Thanks!
Do you know the quality on the ecs kidney grills, as long as they fit properly they should be fine just wondering because there cheap compared to others?

danewilson77
01-26-2016, 05:33 PM
Welcome. Great example and plan.

Sent from an S6 Edge

MtechJon
01-27-2016, 09:34 AM
Wow so I changed the CCV yesterday 1/26/16 took about half the day including long lunch brake. I started around 930 finished around 330. I spent time cleaning parts and making my engine look nice since I had a lot of stuff removed I made to sure to clean the throttle body and idle valve. One of the ccv hoses had a big tear in it when I pulled it out(pics) and I replaced my intake boot.

After the repair was done I test drove it and noticed the ride was really smooth and felt no vibrations like I was before.

BMW Service quote just to replace ccv $1200 250 for parts and 950 for labor:jawdrop

What I really spent
OEM CCV kit from oembimmerparts $140 shipped
I would say 4-5 hours of work
OEM lower intake boot $15
:cool

Removed the Intake, intake boots, DISA valve, idle valve, throttle body, dip stick tube, and all the other little wires and tubes around so I can reach down in there and grab the ccv.

Just getting started

Everything removed that was in my way

New CCV Installed!

New Lower Intake boot installed!

BMWCurves
01-27-2016, 09:40 AM
I sooooo do not look forward to doing this job in the future. Glad you got it done and saved yourself a lot of money. What were your symptoms of a bad CCV before?

MtechJon
01-27-2016, 09:51 AM
Fixing my lumbar support
Fix Cost $7
time 1 hour

My lumbar was set to max inflation and was stuck!:crying
I should have taken more pictures but I just have before and after pics of the wires.

First took the back panel off I had to cut the 2 christmas tree clips that hold it in place , located the wires to the air pump, took of the lumbar button and the seat control module off. Had to cut the hog ring holding the leather together at the bottom left(I had a bag of hog rings so I was cool) once I had the leather pealed back a bit was able to grab the wires and pull them out and to my surprise all wires cleanly cut.

Crimped the wires, soldered them, heat shrunk them, wrapped them back up and taped them. Put the wires back in, connected everything put the switches back, reattached the leather with a new hog ring. Had to spend 7 bucks on new clips for the back panel and bingo bango bongo my lumbar support works! I can finally relax in my chair with out the lumbar fully inflated :ineedabeer

MtechJon
01-27-2016, 09:57 AM
I sooooo do not look forward to doing this job in the future. Glad you got it done and saved yourself a lot of money. What were your symptoms of a bad CCV before?

While inspecting my engine I noticed it was the only thing in my engine that was covered in oil so I figured I should replace it. I wasnt getting any codes on my bmw diagnostic program except for my head light and oil sensor. But after installing it I did notice my car isnt as load (use to sound like a vacuum to be honest) it is a lot quieter and runs way smoother in idle and acceleration then what I was previously experiencing

Edit: Only had my car for a month driven about 600 miles

san
01-27-2016, 09:58 AM

Oil consumption for me. Replaced ccv and its better now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
01-27-2016, 10:42 AM
So the lumbar issue was that the pump's wires were cut cleanly? That's very odd, but glad it was a cheap and relatively simple fix.

MtechJon
01-27-2016, 11:14 AM
So the lumbar issue was that the pump's wires were cut cleanly? That's very odd, but glad it was a cheap and relatively simple fix.

It was the wires from the button that connect to the pump. I will add that into my post.

johnrando
01-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Nice werk!

ELCID86
01-27-2016, 05:19 PM
^yes indeed.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

MtechJon
01-29-2016, 03:44 PM
A bad oil level sensor is common. I plan to replace mine during my next oil change.

What oil should I use is there a preferred oil?

That I'm not sure what you can do about. Do you mean it won't auto-level, or won't swivel when you turn the steering wheel? Someone else can chime in but it might be a failed adjustment motor or something else.

The head light wont auto-level when I turn it on

Have you since filled it in? I prefer the look of either clear reflectors or painted reflectors more than the amber ones. If you're looking for clear reflectors I believe Khoalty have a set, and I bought my painted reflectors from Bimmian and I really like them.

Yes I did I found an amber one for 15

Smart plan, I'm on the group buy as well and am very excited for the performance it'll bring. I agree they'll look better than your current wheels. What color are you going with?

Thinking the black ones would look nice, is there a favorite tire for this car was reading about the Bridgestone Potenza re760 they seem pretty good

They have a couple good options, just a matter of how much you want to spend. Mason Engineering is supposed to have a great bar since it's a single piece of metal. I plan to wait for a sale and pick up the chrome OEM M3 strut bar since it's much cheaper than the black OEM M3 bar, and I'll just sand and paint it black.

I actually just snagged an OEM M3 strut for $210 Shipped

ELCID86
01-29-2016, 04:15 PM
I go with Mobil1 0w40 from Walmart. Novaphotog also said Amzn is now carrying it.

---

BMWCurves
01-29-2016, 04:31 PM
What oil should I use is there a preferred oil?

Preferred oils for our cars can be found here, along with further discussion: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?942-The-Oil-Thread

I personally use BMW 5W-30, but am switching over to Mobil 1 0W-40 on my next oil change.

The head light wont auto-level when I turn it on

I'm not sure. Perhaps your adjustment motor on your right headlight has failed? Another member of the forum might be more familiar with the issue.

Yes I did I found an amber one for 15

Not bad.

Thinking the black ones would look nice, is there a favorite tire for this car was reading about the Bridgestone Potenza re760 they seem pretty good

Tires are up to personal preference and need. I'm not familiar with those Bridgestones, but people love their Michelin Pilot Super Sports if you're in a warmer state. They do wear quickly though and are more expensive than a lot of tires. I'm going to put on some Continental ExtremeContact DW tires when I get my APEX ARC-8 wheels since they have very good dry and wet performance.

I actually just snagged an OEM M3 strut for $210 Shipped

Nicely done, I need to pick one up eventually.

danewilson77
01-29-2016, 09:40 PM
I go with Mobil1 0w40 from Walmart. Novaphotog also said Amzn is now carrying it.

---
+1

Sent from an S6 Edge

Whammy
01-30-2016, 08:20 AM
I use M1 0w-40 as well. I was told to switch from BMW OE oil to this after getting a oil report back from Blackstone labs. I have had zero issues. Totally recommend.

Welcome!

MtechJon
01-30-2016, 10:36 AM
Probably going to go with the Michelin tires they have good reviews and are a lot cheaper then the re760 ones i was thinking about. For the oil did some reading on that now is it only the SAE grade m1 0w-40, There are a couple different kinds under mobile 1 0w-40

BMWCurves
01-30-2016, 11:35 AM
Which Michelin tires? The Pilot Super Sports? I'd assume they're more expensive than the RE760s. Looking at 245/40R17 tires (the size I plan to get on my APEXs), the RE760 is $133 each while the Michelin PSS are $169.30 a piece.

As for Mobil 1, what do you mean different types of Mobil 1 0W-40? SAE is a grading system for viscosity at different temperatures.

MtechJon
01-30-2016, 02:47 PM
Which Michelin tires? The Pilot Super Sports? I'd assume they're more expensive than the RE760s. Looking at 245/40R17 tires (the size I plan to get on my APEXs), the RE760 is $133 each while the Michelin PSS are $169.30 a piece.

As for Mobil 1, what do you mean different types of Mobil 1 0W-40? SAE is a grading system for viscosity at different temperatures.

For the tires that was weird I was looking at them on tirerack and were showing me 220 per tire in that size but now its showing me 133, something got screwed up. On the link I have to walmart it shows 4 selections for that oil but they all seem different and why would the 5 qt be so much cheaper 26 http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=mobil%201%200w-40&typeahead=mobile%201%200w

Whammy
01-30-2016, 04:39 PM
Probably going to go with the Michelin tires they have good reviews and are a lot cheaper then the re760 ones i was thinking about. For the oil did some reading on that now is it only the SAE grade m1 0w-40, There are a couple different kinds under mobile 1 0w-40

This is what I use:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W-40-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt./23636902

BMWCurves
01-30-2016, 05:13 PM
I'm not really sure why there are different types listed at Walmart. I purchased six quarts of the stuff Whammy linked above via CostCo when it was on sale:

http://www.costco.com/Mobil-1-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-0W-40.product.100169676.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=643415&langId=-1&storeId=10301&refine=

MtechJon
02-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Picked some up hopefully I can get this oil and sensor change done soon. Probably make a post regarding this but any feedback about an ess supercharger, are these engines strong enough to handle it or would I need to upgrade engine internals

BMWCurves
02-02-2016, 01:59 PM
Good luck with the oil change and oil level sensor replacement. If you haven't bought the sensor yet, I would purchase a Hella unit rather than BMW. It's the same exact unit, just the BMW logo is sanded off. Also, don't forget to get a gasket for the level sensor as well. You can look it up in RealOEM.com

As for ESS, I think 2-3 members have them. I'm pretty sure the benefit of the ESS kits are that you don't have to change internals, it's pretty much bolt on without much additional stress to the engine.

MtechJon
02-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Good luck with the oil change and oil level sensor replacement. If you haven't bought the sensor yet, I would purchase a Hella unit rather than BMW. It's the same exact unit, just the BMW logo is sanded off. Also, don't forget to get a gasket for the level sensor as well. You can look it up in RealOEM.com

I got them with my ccv, and I did get the Hella brand with the gasket

As for ESS, I think 2-3 members have them. I'm pretty sure the benefit of the ESS kits are that you don't have to change internals, it's pretty much bolt on without much additional stress to the engine.

Thanks, wanted to make sure thinking to get one eventually to have that little extra boost.

MtechJon
02-11-2016, 06:06 PM
2/7/16 got a chance to change the oil and the sensor also forgot I had a oem oil filter in my tool box so got that replaced too. Everything went smooth, oil was really dirty also decided to clean the reinforcement plate. Got a chance to get a good look under the engine everything is in good shape the only thing I saw was the power steering line was a little bit wet but thats it, my radiator hoses and radiator looked new. Probably when that accident happened they replaced all that stuff.

Seems a lot of you guys like the sprint booster and the shark injector but havent read anything about using both, if not both which one would you all prefer more? Been thinking to get them as my next upgrade

BMWCurves
02-11-2016, 06:52 PM
I have the Shark Injector. It's...not particularly noticeable. It does seem to improve small things like the top end and the throttle response, but not a whole lot. It's pretty subjective. I got it on sale, but I don't think I would buy it full price.

Other members have Sprint Booster or Pedal Box and seem to like those products.

johnrando
02-11-2016, 07:17 PM
Two different things serving two different purposes. Shark and other tunes change some of the engine management to (slightly) increase performance and maybe gas mileage. The Sprint Booster and Pedal Box remove the lag to to the electronic throttle by wire. The pedal response is greatly improved. You can have both and both will help. I have an AA Tune and a Sprint Booster.

MtechJon
02-11-2016, 07:29 PM
Two different things serving two different purposes. Shark and other tunes change some of the engine management to (slightly) increase performance and maybe gas mileage. The Sprint Booster and Pedal Box remove the lag to to the electronic throttle by wire. The pedal response is greatly improved. You can have both and both will help. I have an AA Tune and a Sprint Booster.

How do you like the AA tune?

johnrando
02-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Def like it. A slightly btr growl, slightly btr butt dyno performance, slightly btr gas mileage. I'd get a Eurocharged tune now as that also includes shift points. I did get mine on sale so happy with it. Not sure it's worth it a full price.

MtechJon
02-11-2016, 09:06 PM
Checked out that eurocharged tune seems pretty solid ill keep it bookmarked for the future. Going to look for a good deal on the sprint booster for now.

MtechJon
02-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Throwing this in there for the project I just ordered new NGK spark plugs, windshield washer pump, and 2 jack pads. My washer pump doesnt work and I am missing 2 jack pads.

BMWCurves
02-11-2016, 09:45 PM
Washer pump is an easy fix, I did it a couple months back. Replace the filter grommet thingy while you're in there. Part numbers:

Pump - 67128362154
Strainer - 61667006063

DIY guide I used - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385116

For some quick pics you can see in my project thread here: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?15714-William-s-330Ci-ZHP-Maintenance-and-Project-Thread&p=446862#post446862

MtechJon
02-12-2016, 10:51 AM
Washer pump is an easy fix, I did it a couple months back. Replace the filter grommet thingy while you're in there. Part numbers:

Pump - 67128362154
Strainer - 61667006063

DIY guide I used - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385116

For some quick pics you can see in my project thread here: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?15714-William-s-330Ci-ZHP-Maintenance-and-Project-Thread&p=446862#post446862

Thanks for the info. I installed my strut bar a few days ago but was given two right side caps my left cap is showing up today in the mail. So I thought I would look at the strut bar and my hood wont stay up! The hood shock on the left leaked out its oil, oembimmerparts has the OEM part made by Stabilus for $21

johnrando
02-12-2016, 04:51 PM
Checked out that eurocharged tune seems pretty solid ill keep it bookmarked for the future. Going to look for a good deal on the sprint booster for now.

Love my Sprint Booster but from what I understand, Pedal Box does the same thing but has more adjustability. I don't really need that much as I really just lave mine on Red (full) all the time unless someone else drives the car. So, you may want to consider Pedal Box.

MtechJon
02-13-2016, 07:24 AM
My spark plugs, washer pump and jack pads showed up yesterday that was really fast shipping I placed the order 2 nights ago. Got everything installed. washer pump works great. Car seems to have a better start up now with the new spark plugs. Also got my left strut bar cap on.

BMWCurves
02-13-2016, 10:14 AM
Nice work. Glad each of the pieces of maintenance improved the feel and/or functionality of the car.

MtechJon
02-14-2016, 10:32 AM
Nice work. Glad each of the pieces of maintenance improved the feel and/or functionality of the car.

Thanks!

I really want to clay bar my car. Was thinking to wash it and while it still has soapy water on it I clay the car. Is the car paint going to be fine if I just wash it and clay and nothing else?

fw_fw
02-14-2016, 10:47 AM
Thanks!

I really want to clay bar my car. Was thinking to wash it and while it still has soapy water on it I clay the car. Is the car paint going to be fine if I just wash it and clay and nothing else?

You are going to need something besides soapy water, as you go along it will dry up and cause the clay to stick.....get a good detailing spray like something from Meguiars that you can find at any Autozone/Advanced Auto/OReillys. If your Advanced Auto stocks Griots items get some Speed Shine detailer, I like it best....

MtechJon
02-14-2016, 11:22 AM
Im a complete noob when it comes to detailing, so are you saying to wash car dry then just clay in spots like the hood then fenders etc etc. Also do I need to apply something after claying like a sealer and is it a must?

fw_fw
02-14-2016, 11:41 AM
Im a complete noob when it comes to detailing, so are you saying to wash car dry then just clay in spots like the hood then fenders etc etc. Also do I need to apply something after claying like a sealer and is it a must?

Yep, that's what you want to do. When it comes to detailing a car, this is my go to site for supplies, ideas, and examples. They do a much better job explaining things than I can ever do:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/

MtechJon
02-14-2016, 11:54 AM
wow thats a awesome site lots of good info. I picked some stuff up at walts polish pretty close to my house, ill probably drop by there again soon to get everything i need, they have some pretty good quality products. Probably just going to wash today I got next week off then ill do the whole full detail ive been wanting to do.

sillieidiot
02-14-2016, 11:58 AM
Thanks!

well it will feel smooth. but generally when you clay, you will introduce some minor scratches/swirls as well. it just depends on how aggressive you go. but i guess with an SG car, you probably won't see them if you don't go too aggressive. but yeah, i would use quick detailer to clay.

since you're somewhat local, you could check out detailing.com in irvine for some detailing supplies. you could ask them for advice as well.

MtechJon
02-14-2016, 12:24 PM
cool thats not to far from me too ill check them out

rguti153
02-14-2016, 12:33 PM
Wash , dry , clay with a detailing spray , n a layer of sealant is a must or wax. The clay is stripping everything that's on the car and making it bare . So it needs a layer of sealant or wax .

MtechJon
02-16-2016, 06:42 PM
Wash , dry , clay with a detailing spray , n a layer of sealant is a must or wax. The clay is stripping everything that's on the car and making it bare . So it needs a layer of sealant or wax .

Thanks for clearing that up

MtechJon
02-19-2016, 07:13 PM
Couldnt help my self..... 24454

MtechJon
02-20-2016, 09:21 PM
will these reinforcement plates work on my 06 it shows that it works for 99-05 e46 is there even a difference? Thinking to get them for the extra protection
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=323&SEName=e46-strut-tower-reinforcement-plates-pair

BMWCurves
02-20-2016, 11:58 PM
will these reinforcement plates work on my 06 it shows that it works for 99-05 e46 is there even a difference? Thinking to get them for the extra protection
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=323&SEName=e46-strut-tower-reinforcement-plates-pair

Those will fit your car, and definitely a smart addition. The E46 sedan ended in 2005 and the coupe in 2006, but the E90 started in 2006, so a lot of people list the E46 as 99-05.

johnrando
02-21-2016, 07:50 AM
Nice roundels

WOLFN8TR
02-21-2016, 08:37 AM
Couldnt help my self..... 24454

Looks good. Where did you buy these? eBay?

MtechJon
02-21-2016, 09:17 PM
Looks good. Where did you buy these? eBay?

Got them at ddmtuning seems like some good quality stuff got the rear one installed, here is a picture of it 24494

MtechJon
02-26-2016, 07:48 AM
:thumbup Apex rims showing up monday!

Clayed my car yesterday here some pics I wanted to share also not sure how many of you are beer lovers like me but got to try Pliny the younger
I know its an M3 plate but I had one laying around cant let it go to waste now adds like 15HP :shift

BMWCurves
02-26-2016, 08:35 AM
The new roundel on the back looks good!

And don't sweat the license plate bracket. I've got black versions front and back...30 hp for me according to your calculations!

MtechJon
02-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Lol thanks. Just finished waxing my car, mirror finish [emoji41] couldn't be happier

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

MtechJon
02-29-2016, 05:24 PM
Got my APEX rims! went to the tire shop and got the tires put on went with the Michelin pilot super sport 245/40/17 all around they had the metal valve stem upgrade for 3 bucks so I got them. Love the satin black:cool

BMWCurves
02-29-2016, 06:04 PM
Nice! Post pics when they're on your car. I'm loving mine so far.

MtechJon
03-02-2016, 08:59 AM
Nice! Post pics when they're on your car. I'm loving mine so far.
Will do, just waiting for my shock reinforcement plates to show up so I can throw those in and get my alignment done they should show up tomorrow the wait is killing me! Out in orange county ca is there any reputable shops that would be great to get my alignment done at?

Also was looking at my 4 car reports I got from the dealer carfax was the most informative, should have payed attention to it earlier because now the things I notice make sense. Ill post it up soon to just keep it logged on the project thread for reference for others

johnrando
03-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Nice!

MtechJon
03-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Nice!

Thanks

FedEx showed up today! Bmw aux, hood shock, gloss black kidney grilles, front shock tower reinforcement plates all from ecs tuning
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160304/08b68cd3050d73315d4cd844b8c093c9.jpg

BMWCurves
03-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Nice, all good things to have

onaquest
03-03-2016, 10:12 PM
Are the kidneys oe or ecs brand? I've been thinking about getting the ecs branded ones

johnrando
03-04-2016, 11:06 AM
The oem gloss black grills from Tischner are perfect, FYI.

MtechJon
03-04-2016, 11:40 AM
Are the kidneys oe or ecs brand? I've been thinking about getting the ecs branded ones

There ecs brand, they look really nice and fit perfectly

MtechJon
03-04-2016, 11:40 AM
The oem gloss black grills from Tischner are perfect, FYI.

I've looked for the tischner and can't find them

fw_fw
03-07-2016, 08:22 AM
I've looked for the tischner and can't find them

It's actually Tischer. i.e. getBMWparts.com. Click on the E46Fanatics link on the left to get to all E46 specials...

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=AccessoryCatalog&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462&catalog=4462

Great place to buy from, and VERY reasonable on the OE BMW part & accessory prices.

MtechJon
03-20-2016, 09:18 AM
its been about 2 weeks thought i keep you all up to date. Purchased some z4m fcab's and new tie rods should be coming on thursday. I have been working so much havent been able to do anything I really need to get my windshield replaced. Theres a few things im hoping you guys might have some input on, when I cold start in the mornings my car makes a weird as best as I can describe it "NNNYYYRRRRRRR" noise Ill try to capture the sound. It also makes that similar noise a little different though when from a stop to acceleration into a turn or just accelerate from a stop it doesnt do it all the time. I had my brother sit in the back to see if he can tell where the noise is coming from he heard and felt it in the left back took about 20 minutes of driving happened maybe 3 times. Also my engine is still whistling, im going to run the computer read the sensors and spray some stuff see if i can pin point the leak

It's actually Tischer. i.e. getBMWparts.com. Click on the E46Fanatics link on the left to get to all E46 specials...

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=AccessoryCatalog&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462&catalog=4462

Great place to buy from, and VERY reasonable on the OE BMW part & accessory prices.

pretty neat site, the ecs brand kidney grills are a tad different and are thicker on the top. Still pleased with the part very solid.

MtechJon
03-20-2016, 01:00 PM
Looks like it is sucking in air where the sensor housing connects to the air box

MtechJon
03-21-2016, 02:13 PM
Got my aux hooked up I placed the port under the radio.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160321/0cdc4f13adc270b9eee779e317d78c3d.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160321/6a0fb50102185b2e95e84c3cc7b58cf8.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160321/03c68fbc3486dd61572e4d412ee22adc.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160321/3215e58e8e7a4c283980bf5585a1efcb.jpg

Got my front rondel on

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160321/022db24d161057b39e6fe1f7e946e07d.jpg

And my shock tower reinforcement plates on

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160321/2108c657a4e72df40d992ef35d8871b0.jpg

BMWCurves
03-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Nice list of things you got done, especially the reinforcement plates. You placed your aux port where I had mine in my old 330Ci. It was a good spot.

MtechJon
03-28-2016, 04:07 PM
Nice list of things you got done, especially the reinforcement plates. You placed your aux port where I had mine in my old 330Ci. It was a good spot.

So far I'm diggin the spot where I put it!

MtechJon
03-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Got my bushings and tie rods on, it went fairly smooth. Also a new o-ring for my power steering reservoir.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160329/95b9671f0a61159fc820db502de430bf.jpg

Z4m FCAB's
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160329/1c172318525a86aab03426ebe65bb459.jpg

Lemforder tierods
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160329/74e2f124b87d38b84b2609131361798c.jpg

China FCAB's out
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160329/c4022e9d7abe672dffff3dfb2e73f89c.jpg

World of a difference in driving, now I just need to find some time to bring it in for an alignment

Vas
03-29-2016, 03:55 PM
Was there significant play in the old tie rods ?

MtechJon
03-31-2016, 09:23 AM
Was there significant play in the old tie rods ?

Yes they were really loose.

MtechJon
03-31-2016, 09:25 AM
Not sure where to post but how important is this heat shield a new one cost 110

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160331/ef2c57bb5966fcc2647ddfb8f05a959d.jpg

san
03-31-2016, 09:42 AM
I don't think it's really important, I have seen quite a few people and some members here not have it...

sillieidiot
03-31-2016, 01:19 PM
it's not important. I have a CF hood so I haven't had that thing for a long time now. Plus aren't you in OC? Not like it ever gets that cold. Like 3 days out of the year lol

MtechJon
04-01-2016, 07:31 PM
Ya just took it off, the foam was deteriorating inside of it and was sprinkling my engine with it glad to have it off

derbo
04-01-2016, 07:32 PM
Ya just took it off, the foam was deteriorating inside of it and was sprinkling my engine with it glad to have it off

I haven't had one for years.

ELCID86
04-02-2016, 12:58 AM
I haven't had one for years.

+1

MtechJon
04-02-2016, 09:02 AM
FINALLY! The time has come.
satin black apex arc 8 with pilot super sport 245/40/zr17

The car feels great with these tires and lighter rims

BMWCurves
04-02-2016, 09:34 AM
Me likey.

san
04-02-2016, 11:51 AM
The wheels complement the color of the car quite well...

MtechJon
04-12-2016, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys I really like the look too it matches well! So I got a power washer the other week and decided to give my car a power washin today, cleaned it good was at 1600 psi but after drying I noticed how scratched up my car is, there not deep thankfully but man is it scratched up. Have a friend that owns a detail shop going to see what he thinks.

Tried finding where the whistling from my engine was coming from looks like the engine is sitting low making the intake boot connect at an angle to the airbox not creating a flush seal and is whistling right where they meet, I feel the car shake a lot too more then what I think is normal when sitting, I ordered up lemforder m3 engine mounts should be here this week. Hopefully this fixes my problems

MtechJon
05-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Alright havent posted in a while just really busy with work.

Had my car for almost 6 months driven about 2000 miles on it and have loved every minute of it.

Replaced my engine mounts was fairly easy, my engine mounts were pretty squished Ill post pics of side by side of new m3 and old mounts. Didnt fix my whistling problem though. The whistling is very annoying only happens when im cruising at 1.7-2k rpm thats my steady 20-25 mph point. I took my front bumper off and boy o boy the shit storm I stumbled upon.

The driver front side was hit pretty good the bumper bracket was toast got a new one then to realize that my whole fender part on the inside that the airbox screws into on the driver side is moved up about half an inch and my fender was squeezed in, i was able to pull the fender out a little but that whole inside part is shifted up. Looked like a couple of monkeys got to the car when the damage happened and they literally used wood screws and screwed the bumper to the fender nono to hold it together which it really didnt, but with some time and correct parts my bumper is pretty solid now. But ya I came to the conclusion about that whistling, it is from that accident it makes my airbox sit just that much higher to where the intake boot cant get a flush fit either I do body work or I rig something up so my airbox is straight with the intake boot.

When I took the bumper off I realized those hack job monkeys put a right side fluted lens fog light on the left side, completely wrong part in all ways! so Im on the look out for a left clear fog light. Also my low pitch horn is out. Thankfully my power steering feed line 32416774215 is the only thing on the engine that is leaking and its just got a lite coating on it nothing serious. My belts are a little cracked, and one of my passenger side head rest guides is broken.

With all this in mind I really like my leather steering wheel but I want a coby wrap soooo bad, Does he wrap it over with new alcantara or does he remove the leather and put the new on?

sillieidiot
05-08-2016, 01:24 PM
Yeah the whistling problem is either the airbox or it's actually the intake boots themselves. Could be a crack in it.

I think he just wraps over it, I'm not sure. But I don't really like how he ends the stitching that much.

Lorenzo
05-09-2016, 09:34 AM
He does not wrap over existing leather or alcantara. You pay core exchange and he uses another wheel from another previous customer. When you return your wheel, he strips the leather/alcantara and uses it for the next customer.

MtechJon
05-20-2016, 03:43 PM
Sooooo got some new parts

New fog light, low pitch horn, and my head rest guide
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/df1738049460691b32f7748f2d0b0bbe.jpg

Here's the old crap it works fine just not the right part
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/83396e465d27925df2a5ad165fd878c9.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/c304d3c4bdab6bdb9572a15af88c0eab.jpg

A pic of the bumper off
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/e75a2da02d2a782f72b5a231f1185a9a.jpg

Install went smooth happy now I have a horn that's not just high pitch and clean fog lights. Haven't installed the guide yet it seams like it's going to be a b to do.

I spray painted the bottom grill thing satin black
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/1889c8291c63c44152c1b586e8f25280.jpg

Changed this to new black ones
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/387240d28336fc029c2df513f06d5bba.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/c0ea3717d3ac2e1e21df7ab37b59b67f.jpg

Got some oem wheel locks, notice the key is just a tad to small to fit in the trunk tool kit
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/91dae4aaf7326ce1e9dd629fddad64f9.jpg

Ordered the opened end spanner wrench I was missing in the tool kit but that's not showing up till tomorrow

BMWCurves
05-21-2016, 07:00 PM
Good stuff. Sorry to hear the previous repairs to the bumper is/was giving you so much grief.

ELCID86
05-22-2016, 02:19 PM
Nice work Jon.

MtechJon
05-22-2016, 05:36 PM
Good stuff. Sorry to hear the previous repairs to the bumper is/was giving you so much grief.

Thanks, mechanical stupidity grinds my gears probably about 5 wood screws into the bumper and fender and all it needed was 3 proper screws and a new bumper guide and was more solid then what it was but I always enjoy repairing things to make them better.

Nice work Jon.

Thanks ELCID86

Found a DIY on the headrest guide and was surprisingly easy took about 10-15 minutes, I just followed what this guy said "just cut the tab" and it came right out! http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=15708307&postcount=9

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160523/176fef2bdb4f72d597250680645eb5c7.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160523/6c55b93f7d4157b62e864c676e51d29c.jpg

MtechJon
06-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Alright got tired of seeing my trim around the shifter scratched up so I gave it a try and spray painted it, I really like the results i used satin black restoleum and came out a little more flat then the original trim but I like it. I was going very light on the sprays and after 7 coats barely made a difference, I went f it and sprayed it good with 3 more coats.

Before
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160604/15400f6f1c866ff0030ceeda88e98582.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160604/18dd3c66dc7ec12bcd86957d9f5c2faf.jpg

After
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160604/4d746a6b2a3c612c0883699096c246c3.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160604/69ab43ed4c1156c40bf60b5169bd8dad.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160604/045f3ea588b43232915fdb981bfa4ce4.jpg

BMWCurves
06-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Looks pretty good. Can you take a pic of it next to a non-painted trim piece for comparison?

MtechJon
06-04-2016, 05:23 PM
Looks pretty good. Can you take a pic of it next to a non-painted trim piece for comparison?

I'll try to get one, going to do the trim above glove box so I'll take a pic with that

MtechJon
06-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Got some pics original is more glossy with purple hope the pics are good enough to show comparison between original and satin black
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160605/1d8aa2f47beff8bdc026f1648303c06a.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160605/7dfe35ff6c142c32f3c9d0479091406b.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160605/32a291a425946a4472102b657b6a0b02.jpg

BMWCurves
06-05-2016, 05:51 PM
Yeah I think I can get the idea, thanks! Cool stuff. Is the pattern on the center console still very detailed or has the spray paint filled in some of the lines and made it less detailed?

MtechJon
06-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Since the shifter trim was scratched pretty bad I got heavy on it so it did fill it in a little bit but not really too bad still has its detail but the trim above the glove box cam out really good only 3 coats and has sharp detail in the lines.

Im thinking my trim is purple due to sun exposure :dunno noticed my dash has a purple hue to it when I look at it in a certain angle

sillieidiot
06-06-2016, 01:27 PM
Since the shifter trim was scratched pretty bad I got heavy on it so it did fill it in a little bit but not really too bad still has its detail but the trim above the glove box cam out really good only 3 coats and has sharp detail in the lines.

Im thinking my trim is purple due to sun exposure :dunno noticed my dash has a purple hue to it when I look at it in a certain angle

No, the purple is because they used that as a base to get the color. There is no black essentially, you just go really dark in a certain color to get black. Typically they use blue, brown, or purple.

MtechJon
06-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Got my bmw flashlight today, now my glove box won't be so lonely

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160610/ef81b807dafdfe54815c92a77e63cd6d.jpg

danewilson77
06-10-2016, 03:54 PM
Got my bmw flashlight today, now my glove box won't be so lonely

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160610/ef81b807dafdfe54815c92a77e63cd6d.jpg

Win. Loneliness sucks.

S7 Edge, out

MtechJon
06-11-2016, 05:13 PM
Win. Loneliness sucks.

S7 Edge, out

Flash light was starting to get lonely had to get it something extra to look at that dirty bastrd

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160612/2be74ec04c928dd3d0069bd54d73ee6c.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160612/4159641dd3f721cc7caa3a9b5af4e2ac.jpg

danewilson77
06-11-2016, 06:20 PM
:rofl

S7 Edge, out

MtechJon
06-21-2016, 12:15 PM
It's been bugging me for a while my doors latch closed but they don't close flush i finally looked it up how to fix it and was simple as loosening the catch latch on the car and punching it towards the seats more and bam! nice and flush now looks like the door needs to get dropped just a tad but way better looking and closes more solid now

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160621/ad222ee124c63922b39e1c65a2650e43.jpg

After

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160621/5d29d4717b8f5a91638385112aad173e.jpg

BMWCurves
06-21-2016, 12:51 PM
Damn, that gap would have bugged me so much. I'm impressed you let it stand that way this long!

MtechJon
06-21-2016, 01:28 PM
Lol I know I really didn't think I can do anything about it but that spur of the moment at 11 at night it bugged me and I had to figure it out

san
06-22-2016, 04:19 AM
My car has this issue too! Nowhere near as bad as yours was but still quite annoying to look at... Didn't know it was fixable, thanks!

MtechJon
06-26-2016, 10:04 AM
hopefully I get some suggestions here not sure where to post a question like this but I need something that is $50 and is actually useful and beneficial nothing cosmetic so I can get free shipping on ecs tunning rather not spend 20 on shipping and get something, was thinking some new interior pieces but im looking for more engine wise right now

sillieidiot
06-26-2016, 11:33 AM
post the question in the random question thread.

what maintenance haven't you done? i'd just buy a new center console. i think that is $50. Or windshield cowl? Iono, I could only come up with cosmetic items lol

MtechJon
06-26-2016, 12:26 PM
Ill post there to thanks, So far everything on my engine is good to go except for what im trying to purchase on ecs and thats the power steering feed line and a new ac belt. Im also getting there magnetic fender cover.
Funny you say center console and windshield cowl, I actually just picked up a new cowl last week and was really considering getting a new center console and cup holder

sillieidiot
06-26-2016, 02:02 PM
Ill post there to thanks, So far everything on my engine is good to go except for what im trying to purchase on ecs and thats the power steering feed line and a new ac belt. Im also getting there magnetic fender cover.
Funny you say center console and windshield cowl, I actually just picked up a new cowl last week and was really considering getting a new center console and cup holder

yeah i was trying to think up of stuff that is $50. lol but none of those things are like in the engine. All the engine stuff are like maintenance items. Unless there's like some cheap strut bar. Engine mounts? o2 sensors? lol

MtechJon
06-26-2016, 02:29 PM
was thinking to get new sway bar end links 50 for the pair if i go with lemforder

sillieidiot
06-26-2016, 02:49 PM
yeah that would be cool if you need it. new sidemarkers? the new ones look so damn white compared to the old yellow ones lol euro mirrors? although i think it's a lot more. too bad i don't need anything that is $50 that i could put into your order

BMWCurves
06-26-2016, 04:37 PM
Can you only buy the parts through ECS? If not, why not try somewhere like FCP Euro that has free shipping and a lifetime warranty?

MtechJon
06-26-2016, 05:22 PM
damit i didnt know about that website I just ordered my parts could have save around 15 bucks thats like 15 hashbrowns :hashbrowns but w/e next time now i know

BMWCurves
06-26-2016, 05:48 PM
No worries, now you'll know about them in the future. A lot of people swear by FCP on here for the aforementioned reasons. They've got good prices as well and good customer service. Their free shipping claims to have no tracking info, but all of my orders through them, while they do take a while because it's economy shipping, end up having a tracking number.

MtechJon
06-26-2016, 05:55 PM
Thats good and there warranty seems great ecs has what looks like a limited 1 year warranty, but hey some warranty is better then no warranty. Definitely will be looking at that site for future purchases

MtechJon
07-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Parts showed up, gave the rein power steering line a good looking at , it just said contitech on the hoses and seems nice quality once that's replaced no more leaks on my engine [emoji41] I'll try posting picks and a how to on the power steering feed line. Hopefully with the new tie rods that fixes the clunking if not that just leaves the control arms and possibly sway bar bushings.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160702/a9f8f11b87dcbb153d09f866d62072d9.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160702/61c2f44bad915e9210979719c7a0b1c7.jpg

I think I solved what was making this "nrrrrrr" noise in my engine it might be the secondary air pump. I still hear a similar noise but from the rear when I take off sometimes, I hope it's not the differential

MtechJon
07-02-2016, 08:14 PM
replaced the tie rod ends, my old ones were toast rubber was ripped and lot of slop, also on the left side where i was hearing the clunking the top tie rod nut was loose probably what was causing the noise but either way got fresh tie rods in and so far haven't heard any clunking :headbang tomorrow I put in the new belts and maybe ill get to the steering hose feed line too

BMWCurves
07-02-2016, 10:47 PM
Nice progress!

MtechJon
07-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Thanks buddy

Got my new steering wheel in, sending it out to get wrapped soon by coby but I can't think of what colors to do, my car is mainly black and grey theme going on so was thinking just black / black steering wheel or oem grey/black

Also I'm redoing the trim pieces on the steering wheel I got, it was refinished but is kinda blotchy on some spots and tape was just put over the buttons and sprayed over. So I popped out all the buttons and wet sanded it all down. Did my buddies steering trim a few weeks ago and came out pretty good
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160703/fd132a754135f39ea911a9b87a482b21.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160703/bcd3882d7d4c25995bbf7883fc2a33c3.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160703/a052faa628c2e8bd35ca641037c9639a.jpg

johnrando
07-03-2016, 04:09 PM
Very nice

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MtechJon
07-15-2016, 09:37 AM
finally got a day off today, I took my belts off and notice the pulley tensioners have a little wobble and spin very easily so looks like ill be getting new ones before I replace the belts, now im thinking that might be what causes that "nrrr" noise when I cold start the car.

Also getting my coby wheel tomorrow cant wait! :pimp I went with black and blue stitching

MtechJon
07-19-2016, 07:09 PM
Ooooooh yaaaa! Love this thing just drove it a little tho can't wait to test it out. Thanks Coby!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160720/6644e14b31f9a5f12e293c1815ec205b.jpg

johnrando
07-19-2016, 09:26 PM
Wheel looks perfect

MtechJon
07-31-2016, 02:52 PM
Wheel looks perfect

Thanks John!

Now that I've got a little bit more drive time on it maybe 40 miles, I really love it and it makes the car look and feel great. Its a nice quality piece that I am glad to have added to my zhp.

MtechJon
08-07-2016, 10:22 AM
I change my pulley tensioners and belts a week ago the pulleys wobbled and tensioners wher toast, That engine noise I would hear on cold starts has now gone away. :thumbup

Now I just need to replace my power steering feed line and my car should be all on shape!
only things I haven't replaced that might need replacing are the RTABs and transmission mounts

Time to start upgrading :help
was thinking to get schrick camshafts
new vanos from dr vanos
mishimoto intake and boots
possibly shark injector and pedal box

MtechJon
08-13-2016, 09:17 AM
So Thursday my car wouldn't start! Did a few tests to see what's going on and it was my starter. Starter showed up bright and early today and got it installed and my car starts [emoji2]. But one thing this rubber piece fell on me while I was under the car any one have any ideas where it goes ?
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160813/6fcf93c1c9652ea7070921168f59859e.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160813/559b34be449395ddf314ef1fd7f68c48.jpg

bimmerteknik
08-13-2016, 12:53 PM
I think that covers a vacuum port on the cyclone separator.

Here's a pic for reference
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160813/19b74fac2b47f605758a3329a91c0189.jpg

wsmeyer
08-13-2016, 03:10 PM
It's one of the vacuum plugs on the back of the manifold, drivers side.

ELCID86
08-13-2016, 04:05 PM
Nice job getting the starter installed. I paid someone to do mine. Did you remove the manifold? If not, you may need to IOT get that part back on (if it needs to be reinstalled).

MtechJon
08-13-2016, 04:21 PM
Nice job getting the starter installed. I paid someone to do mine. Did you remove the manifold? If not, you may need to IOT get that part back on (if it needs to be reinstalled).

Thanks I didn't remove the manifold but I was back there and that does ring a bell, did a little research and there are 2 caps in the back. I'm pretty sure it is from back there. I'll probably get a new one since it is pretty rotted

BMWCurves
01-23-2017, 09:49 PM
Any updates?

MtechJon
01-25-2017, 10:15 PM
Any updates?

ive been having crazy hours at work so haven't done much, just last week though I put on ecstunning front and rear drilled and slotted rotors with hawk pads, heat rejection film tint 30% all around and 55% on front windshield. tried to do a little diagnostic on my car to try and figure out the noises it makes, 1st noise I hear not often but almost sounds like metal on metal near center front of car im thinking it might be the flex disk. The other noise that makes the whistle happens only at 2k rpm, I changed the vacuum plugs in the manifold and it still whistles. I actually heard a 2 series drive by me that had the same steady high pitch whistle.

anandoc
01-26-2017, 03:08 AM
Would be great if you posted some pics of the ECS Tuning drilled rotors installed. I have those lying around waiting to get installed and would love to see how they look once installed.

MtechJon
02-06-2017, 07:39 PM
Would be great if you posted some pics of the ECS Tuning drilled rotors installed. I have those lying around waiting to get installed and would love to see how they look once installed.

Tried getting some good pics, I haven't washed my car since November so dont mind the improperly clean rims! got my car serviced for airbag recall today and came with a wash that i should have declined and done it myself
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170207/0d3bfd935b6ea59c0ad21efebaf9e9cb.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170207/4ca3421a2c70464a1fa03ef51f0dbdcd.jpg

danewilson77
02-06-2017, 07:41 PM
:waldo

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

holyc0w
02-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Tried getting some good pics, I haven't washed my car since November so dont mind the improperly clean rims! got my car serviced for airbag recall today and came with a wash that i should have declined and done it myself

Nice, :D

I was going to reconsider and cancel the wash myself when I went in, but they drove the car away while I was waiting for the service adviser.

ZHPizza
02-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Just finished reading through the whole thread. Great work!

It's such a pain digging through a car and finding shoddy work from the previous owner/repair shop, but how much better do you sleep now that you know it's done right?

MtechJon
02-07-2017, 04:03 PM
Just finished reading through the whole thread. Great work!

It's such a pain digging through a car and finding shoddy work from the previous owner/repair shop, but how much better do you sleep now that you know it's done right?

Lol much better, this car should last for a long time, just some cosmetic work needs to be done. The dealer said they only found my differential bushings are cracking and my rear suspension is getting close to due, other then that I still need to replace my power steering feed line and bingo bango bingo it's like a new car oh and maybe I'll do my vanos during the summer

Lorenzo
02-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Tint looks great! Makes a big difference.

MtechJon
02-12-2017, 10:09 AM
Tint looks great! Makes a big difference.

Thanks! I didnt want to go to dark because of the legal issue in cali but made sure to get the heat/uv rejection film all around it really makes a difference

MtechJon
04-05-2017, 08:18 PM
Want to get new floor mats saw this on ebay that looked pretty decent what do you guys think http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M-Floor-mats-With-M-Emblem-LHD-Vehicle-TAILORED-1990-2017-Models-/302251156994?fits=Model%3AM3&var=&hash=item465f92a602:m:m8SlRoWDmfEULocMcJ0YWNw&vxp=mtr

nextelbuddy
04-05-2017, 08:25 PM
I like them!

danewilson77
04-06-2017, 05:22 PM
Dhu eet

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+

MtechJon
04-10-2017, 04:20 PM
BAM!

pics not the best

hcbeck2689
04-10-2017, 04:28 PM
BAM!

pics not the best

Do they actually fit good? I saw it said 1999-2017. That one-size-fits all has me skeptical

MtechJon
04-10-2017, 04:51 PM
Do they actually fit good? I saw it said 1999-2017. That one-size-fits all has me skeptical

they do fit good , on the listing you choose what year and series for the carpet its not a universal carpet

MtechJon
02-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Hey everyone it’s been a while! My ZHP has been running very smooth and still love every minute of it. Would be nice if it had a little more kick to it but maybe down the road I’ll get a supercharger for it. As for now I have had no issues just an oil change for maintenance. it’s a very solid car.

And drum roll please ......... 🥁

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180211/eac3acc39082b2ed57ddd2ba1d0606ce.jpg

It past the 100k mile mark about 2 weeks ago, ruined I know[emoji22] lol but I love driving this car so much so it’s ok with me!

I’m not sure but I think the ride is getting a little stiff I can really feel the road seems more then usual. so I’m not sure if it’s time for new shocks or what, I never replaced them since I got the car.

RUS_ZHP
02-11-2018, 12:58 PM
Congrats on the milestone! Glad to hear that car is running strong

johnrando
02-11-2018, 03:20 PM
+1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MtechJon
01-16-2019, 04:22 PM
Hey everyone haven't updated here in a while. Car is running pretty strong, Only engine maintenance it has needed in 2018 is oil change, along with topping off the oil once in a while, idk if you guys remember about the whistling I was talking about and couldn't figure it out for the life of me but eventually I got a check engine light and checked it out with my scanner and was basically saying an air leak so I checked the levels as I spray certain parts of the engine with brake spray hopping it wasn't my cat sensors. Apparently it was the lower intake boot which I thought I looked at it before and replaced it but man that thing was torn pretty good underneath, no more high pitch whistle after that lol.

I do have a couple questions for you all.

My front and rear shocks are toast was thinking about getting the koni yellow with H/R sport/race springs, anyone got this set up and like it? or should I just go with the koni yellow by itself?

Im also looking to get a nice net for my trunk to make sure stuff doesn't move around, holding stuff like a backpack and duffel bag ,got any suggestions?

JPMo
01-16-2019, 08:08 PM
My front and rear shocks are toast was thinking about getting the koni yellow with H/R sport/race springs, anyone got this set up and like it? or should I just go with the koni yellow by itself?

I also am in the market for some struts and maybe springs and while the Koni Yellows are highly recommended here, my indy and several people I've actually spoken to in person all recommended Bilstein instead. I'm still trying to see which I will go with as well but just throwing that out there.

ZHPizza
01-16-2019, 08:53 PM
I also am in the market for some struts and maybe springs and while the Koni Yellows are highly recommended here, my indy and several people I've actually spoken to in person all recommended Bilstein instead. I'm still trying to see which I will go with as well but just throwing that out there.Koni >>> Bilstein for a daily driver. Bilsteins ride like shit on the street compared to Koni yellows or FSD's.

MtechJon
01-16-2019, 09:08 PM
Im pretty set on getting the Koni's just not sure if i should get the H&R springs

johnrando
01-17-2019, 07:26 AM
I liked my H&R setup. I also loved myRace Springs, but my car was VERY low on those.

Sockethead
01-17-2019, 08:45 AM
I'm also running Koni yellows with H&R sport springs... very happy with this setup. When I had the Bilstiens with the H&R sport springs, every bump was cringe worthy.

az3579
01-17-2019, 08:48 AM
When I had the Bilstiens with the H&R sport springs, every bump was cringe worthy.

Yeah - this is the suspension combo my car had when I bought it, and is the very reason I used to dodge every single pothole and bump I possibly could. Going over them was almost spine shattering.

I'm in absolutely love with my Bilstein PSS10 coilovers I have currently.

Sockethead
01-17-2019, 08:55 AM
If you put the Bilstien sports next to Koni yellows, you'll see why: the Bilsteins are a much shorter shock... bottoms out sooner with lowered springs

slater
01-17-2019, 06:45 PM
If you put the Bilstien sports next to Koni yellows, you'll see why: the Bilsteins are a much shorter shock... bottoms out sooner with lowered springs

Part of that reason is because of the huge internal bumpstop. You can open them and trim the bumpstop down to help this.

MtechJon
01-18-2019, 02:12 PM
I think I’m gonna stick with just the yellow koni and use my original springs, I don’t really want it any lower then what it is

Sockethead
01-19-2019, 07:08 AM
You car looks great in your signature and your front bumper will thank you for not going lower :)

MtechJon
02-27-2019, 04:41 PM
Got the koni's a couple weeks ago, probably get them in this Sunday.

johnrando
02-28-2019, 07:47 AM
Nice!

kakashi169
03-06-2019, 05:50 AM
New to this project. Car looks well maintained!

MtechJon
04-15-2019, 10:31 AM
Thanks bud!

MtechJon
04-15-2019, 10:39 AM
I've been thinking and researching for an upgrade this summer. Turbo, supercharger, or engine swap is my end goal but just not in the budget right now. Then i remembered the differential! I remember looking at the mfactory helical ones a while back they had a 1,1.5,2 ratio but i don't see those options anymore, I only see a 3.07 and 3.15?

So my question is what should i get and if anyone has experience with them?

If I should ask this in another section or can point me to somewhere that has this info already, please let me know

ZHPizza
04-15-2019, 12:25 PM
Ahh the poor man's supercharger. Your car is an auto zhp, right? So it already has a 3.64. Not sure where you could find something taller.

MtechJon
04-15-2019, 10:16 PM
Ahh the poor man's supercharger. Your car is an auto zhp, right? So it already has a 3.64. Not sure where you could find something taller.

I'm just looking to put in an LSD, but not sure about the 3.07 and 3.15 those are the only options

sillieidiot
04-16-2019, 09:48 AM
I'm just looking to put in an LSD, but not sure about the 3.07 and 3.15 those are the only options

Are you sure you're reading it right? They should have two options. One for any ratio that is less than or equal to 3.07. The other should be any ratio that is greater than or equal to 3.15. So you would pick that latter since you have a 3.64 currently.

ZHPizza
04-16-2019, 10:17 AM
Ah alright you've got a lot to learn on this subject. First up is the gear ratios that have you confused with the clutch type lsd action. The manual ZHP came with a 3.07 final drive and the auto with a 3.64.

http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/e46_gear_ratio_calculator.htm

And there's a ton of info out there about mfactory lsd's:

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1043397

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?15863-MFactory-Helical-LSD-s-Lifetime-Warranty-30-Day-Money-Back-Guarantee!

MtechJon
04-16-2019, 04:57 PM
Thank you, I would rather have the helical then the metal plate lsd, I was getting those 2 confused earlier. Since final drive on my auto zhp is 3.64 so I would want to get the 3.15 and greater. MF-TRS-05E46A would be the product that I want. Other then that I would need some fresh bushings and SAE 75W-140 oil.