PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable price to pay... strut bar and ZHP wheels

AggieBlake
01-14-2016, 12:58 PM
I'd love pricing advice from any of you who've been tracking part prices for longer than I have (I've only been here about 6 weeks)

1. I'd like to get a non-hinged strut tower brace for my ZHP - probably someone's used e46 M3 bar. What would you expect to pay (minus shipping) for a good condition one? Only other non-pivot bars I'm aware of are the BMW carbon fiber bar and Mason bar - both are out of my price range.

2. I am considering selling my ZHP wheels to help offset the cost of jumping in on the 17" Apex group buy. What is a fair price to ask for a full staggered set with no curb rash? It will include very good condition Mich PSS, but I'm happy even if you can just help me gauge price on the wheels alone first (I'll add in something fair for the tires).

Thanks for any help y'all!

Blake

BMWCurves
01-14-2016, 01:05 PM
Wish I could help on either of those, but other people can give you a more accurate price than I can! Good luck, I'm interested to see what people suggest since my father wants to sell his 135s and I'm trying to figure out what a good condition used M3 strut brace would cost.

NoVAphotog
01-14-2016, 01:08 PM
Well considering you can get one brand new for $345 with all hardware:

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=466449&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462

I'd say anything around $200-250 would be fair. Maybe less. Very common item.

2. I'd say don't sell them. It's not worth it for the group buy to sell part of what makes a ZHP a ZHP especially if they are clean. I'm in this same boat now as much as I want those wheels...I don't need three sets of wheels laying around and would never sell the 135's and I like having the snow tires.

Vas
01-14-2016, 01:15 PM
I even got a better buy for you on the strutbar.

There is the chrome version of the M3 strut bar which I have my eye on for the wife's car. It is identical to the M3 bar however the center section of it is chrome instead of black.

It can be seen below

However BMW of Fairfax has it for $219.64 plus shipping.

ELCID86
01-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Here is a bar: $225 shipped (that has not sold). http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1094031

I picked up a Mason Engineering aluminum bar for @$350.

I agree with Dan on the wheels. I had crap rims on my car when I bought it and found a set of 135s from a member here b/c that the way the car is supposed to look... They are heavy and a PTIA to clean, but do look so good. I do like other styles but haven't gone that route b/c I too have winter wheels. Look thru the FS threads here and you'll see what 135s sell for (~$300-450 I think).

BMWCurves
01-14-2016, 03:00 PM
Well considering you can get one brand new for $345 with all hardware:

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=466449&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462

I'd say anything around $200-250 would be fair. Maybe less. Very common item.

2. I'd say don't sell them. It's not worth it for the group buy to sell part of what makes a ZHP a ZHP especially if they are clean. I'm in this same boat now as much as I want those wheels...I don't need three sets of wheels laying around and would never sell the 135's and I like having the snow tires.

No longer in for the wheels?

I even got a better buy for you on the strutbar.

There is the chrome version of the M3 strut bar which I have my eye on for the wife's car. It is identical to the M3 bar however the center section of it is chrome instead of black.

It can be seen below

However BMW of Fairfax has it for $219.64 plus shipping.

Forgot about that bar, it's in my wish list.

Here is a bar: $225 shipped (that has not sold). http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1094031

I picked up a Mason Engineering aluminum bar for @$350.

I agree with Dan on the wheels. I had crap rims on my car when I bought it and found a set of 135s from a member here b/c that the way the car is supposed to look... They are heavy and a PTIA to clean, but do look so good. I do like other styles but haven't gone that route b/c I too have winter wheels. Look thru the FS threads here and you'll see what 135s sell for (~$300-450 I think).

That's for just the wheels though, right? Not the tires included.

NoVAphotog
01-14-2016, 03:35 PM
No longer in for the wheels?

pm'd

ELCID86
01-14-2016, 03:38 PM
Yes. Just the rims. BTW, FedEx is about $35/each.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

fredo
01-14-2016, 04:45 PM
I could be interested on the tires. Maybe we could meet up half way ? I'm in Austin.

AggieBlake
01-14-2016, 05:13 PM
Great advice all! And thanks for the links on strut bars. I'm pulling out Excel tonight and spending some time crunching numbers to see exactly what I can afford over the next year. I would love to keep the original ZHP wheels, but I don't know if that will be realistic. As much as I love the look, I really don't like staggered set ups (can't rotate front back) when I'm going to do track and autocross. Couple that with increased unsprung weight and increased tire cost and it's just not a practical wheel.

fredo, I'll definitely keep that in mind if I decide to sell them! BTW, is there ever a Texas-area ZHP or e46 meet or part swap?

fredo
01-14-2016, 06:44 PM
I don't know of any specific ZHP or e46 meetings in the area. I heard plans to set an annual BMW fest here in Austin. I will keep an eye on that. For car parts, I have had good luck in CL. Thanks to your location, you could put ads in Houston and Austin. Maybe Dallas too.

daytona90t
01-15-2016, 06:37 AM
I picked up a black M3 strut bar locally about 2 years ago when I did my full suspension refresh. It was originally posted on CL for $150 but I got the guy down to $125. If I recall correctly the car had been wrecked and he was trying to recoup some $$ on some stuff that he had put away for it. That could be why I got such a good deal. Then again I also got one of the last dealer available E46 performance mufflers in the area for $85 shipped to my door. Sometimes you just luck out. If you have the time keep looking for a nice used M3 bar, they are out there.

nozhp4u
01-17-2016, 11:42 AM
You should be able to fetch $400-$500 for the wheels in good condition

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ELCID86
01-17-2016, 12:23 PM
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/5403693649.html

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic