PDA

View Full Version : VCG Bolt Snapped Inside Hole...

bosszhp
01-11-2016, 01:30 PM
Today has not been a good day, while torquing down one of the VCG bolts (one of the ones next to the spark plug hole) I heard a snap/bang and sure enough the bolt broke off while inside the hole. Couple that with the fact that I dropped one of the other bolts inside the engine bay and I'd say I'm not in a good position. Obviously I can get the bolt from the dealer but what am I going to do about the one thats snapped? Can I take the cover off and get it out somehow? I have an appointment at my indy this week so at this point I just want to let them deal with it but will I be able to drive the car there if one of the bolts isn't tightened down?

bosszhp
01-11-2016, 02:10 PM
So I took the valve cover off and was able to remove the bolt, now just need to go to the dealer and hope they have the part! Mods feel free to delete this thread.

Oli77
01-11-2016, 03:19 PM
I would freak out if something like this happened to me. How did you get rid of the bolt?

ELCID86
01-11-2016, 04:03 PM
Glad you got it. I did similar with water pump bolts. And I had a torque wrench.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member

bosszhp
01-11-2016, 06:19 PM
I would freak out if something like this happened to me. How did you get rid of the bolt?

I did freak out and immediately thought I was f*cked hence this thread lol. After briefly calming down I realized the threaded stud had an 8mm nut so I just popped the valve cover back off and removed the broken stud from the block. Dealer didn't have the part though, I have an appointment at my indy tomorrow for them to do my VANOS seals so I'm just going to drive it there (15 mins) while missing the one bolt. Now that I think about it I don't even know why I did the VCG when the indy could have done it the same time as the VANOS seals. I was afraid they would charge me an hour labor for it but realized during my VCG replacement that they have to take the cover off to get to the VANOS so it wouldn't be any extra labor. :facepalm Lessen learned for next time I guess! It's way too easy to loose those studs or over torque them.

Sockethead
01-12-2016, 10:43 AM
Lesson learned for next time I guess! It's way too easy to loose those studs or over torque them.

There is a quote I use in my email sig... no idea where is got it but it goes... "Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it" :)

ELCID86
01-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Yep. You have to do VCG with Vanos but not the other way around.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member

BMWCurves
01-12-2016, 02:51 PM
There is a quote I use in my email sig... no idea where is got it but it goes... "Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it" :)

Something I've experienced all too often.