PDA

View Full Version : Accessory Belt damaged the Expansion Tank (Motor Mount problem?)

Fried_Chicken
01-07-2016, 12:57 PM
Does anyone else have an accessory belt that’s sitting really close to their expansion tank?

My accessory belt has dremeled a hole into my expansion tank. Interestingly, it made it over 1000 miles without issue, but today as I as driving I noticed steam from underneath the engine. Opening the hood revealed coolant leaking from the expansion tank.

I’ve previously replaced the expansion tank because of this same issue, so I have to get to the bottom of this. I suspect the engine mounts might be collapsed which is causing the bottom portion to tilt forward.

Is there an easy test for bad motor mounts/Transmission Mounts?
I’m going to double check that it’s not the radiator or radiator brackets, but I suspect they are ok.

Help is appreciated!

Vas
01-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Hard to tell in the picture on how close it is.

What about the tensioner assembly?

Mileage on the car?

Fried_Chicken
01-07-2016, 02:04 PM
Mileage is 140k, belt and tensioner were replaced at 100k. It's very close, >1cm and it's already rubbed and dremeled into the expansion tank

BMWCurves
01-07-2016, 04:05 PM
I remember having a similar fitment issue when I was doing my coolant system overhaul and was putting everything back together. If I remember correctly, the expansion tank or the radiator wasn't seated correctly and put the expansion tank butt-clenchingly close to the belts/pulleys. I finally got either the radiator or the expansion tank to sit properly and it created a bigger gap between the tank and the belts/pulleys.

Fried_Chicken
01-07-2016, 04:44 PM
I remember having a similar fitment issue when I was doing my coolant system overhaul and was putting everything back together. If I remember correctly, the expansion tank or the radiator wasn't seated correctly and put the expansion tank butt-clenchingly close to the belts/pulleys. I finally got either the radiator or the expansion tank to sit properly and it created a bigger gap between the tank and the belts/pulleys.

This sounds right. I will try re-aligning the radiator properly.

Fried_Chicken
01-19-2016, 04:22 PM

This is exactly what happened.

I just remounted the radiator and there is plenty of space with the expansion tank. I should have noted something earlier, this is the 2nd expansion tank that's gotten eaten like this. The radiator also had a noticeable curve to it the way it was mounted.

I epoxied the old expansion tank back together (fingers crossed). I used black epoxy which is rated for up to 3500PSI. If the expansion tank starts leaking again I will replace it.

ELCID86
01-19-2016, 04:46 PM

I just remounted the radiator and there is plenty of space with the expansion tank. I should have noted something earlier, this is the 2nd expansion tank that's gotten eaten like this. The radiator also had a noticeable curve to it the way it was mounted.

I epoxied the old expansion tank back together (fingers crossed). I used black epoxy which is rated for up to 3500PSI. If the expansion tank starts leaking again I will replace it.

I'd lean towards replacement soon.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

BMWCurves
01-19-2016, 04:53 PM

Glad you solved your problem. I remember getting it almost all together and then noticed that the belt basically touched the tank and having to take it all apart again and fiddle with it for an hour to get it to seat properly.

Fried_Chicken
01-20-2016, 10:03 PM
-_-

I didn't find the lead.

Something is still leaking, I believe it is the lower hose of the expansion tank, it must have gotten damaged by tumbleweeds, but I can't confirm.
I took the car out for a test drive and noticed a stream coming from underneath the expansion tank. Unfortunately I couldn't stick my face in there because the engine was hot.

At the very least my radiator is properly mounted, and the damage to the expansion tank has been properly expoxied.

Dave1027
01-21-2016, 04:56 PM
Tumbleweed damage? The plastic belly shield should prevent that.