PDA

View Full Version : Coolant System Question..

ZHP_Brandon
01-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Well this is plain old embarrassing as I thought I had this figured out, but now I question my own knowledge

Woke up & decided to check my fluid levels early this morning before starting my day. Popped the hood, checked the oil, brake fluid, checked for any leaks around the Valve Cover (Never know), and I realized I never got around to overhauling my coolant system.

Opened the overflow tanks cap, and the Red Bobbler is at the very bottom of the assembly and there is no fluid there, at all.

In my own experience even after the cooling system has leveled out, fluid stays in that reservoir but today it was bone dry & in the last 3 days (Temps been under 30 degrees) its taken some time for my car to heat up.

Ran to the dealership, bought a gallon of fluid to only realize that I shouldnt even top off the system with a mixture of anything or so I've been told by others

Any advice on this? I havent ran into this in quite some time since I had my brother do my last coolant flush and hes not in the states.

Some major re-education on the topic is needed [emoji28].. Again, plain old embarrassing

Thanks in advance guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredo
01-06-2016, 12:34 PM
You didn't get a low coolant warning ? I got a warning last week and granted, the expansion tank seemed to be empty. Since no warning for you, this makes me believe you had a decent amount of coolant in the system.

I have a gallon of 50/50 mix antifreeze and water. It says good for all makes and models. I use that to top off the Saab, Mini, and BMW. No problems to report.

ZHP_Brandon
01-06-2016, 12:42 PM
You didn't get a low coolant warning ? I got a warning last week and granted, the expansion tank seemed to be empty. Since no warning for you, this makes me believe you had a decent amount of coolant in the system.

I have a gallon of 50/50 mix antifreeze and water. It says good for all makes and models. I use that to top off the Saab, Mini, and BMW. No problems to report.

Incredibly enough I've never gotten a coolant system warning while driving it & its my everyday by all means, so I don't understand why my expansion tank was completely empty??

Could it be that the system drained itself and there isnt ENOUGH to fill the reservoir? Meaning I should add fluid to it, my brother told me he used a 50/50 mix as well just as you and until realizing what I did today, the car has never once overheated, drove it all summer and fall and it was perfectly fine with no warning lights.

Im just as confused as anyone reading this [emoji15]

fredo
01-06-2016, 12:48 PM
Well, the sensor that monitors the coolant level is part of the expansion tank itself. Is it possible the sensor is faulty ? Maybe. Any clue when the expansion tank was replaced last time ?

In my case, my Indy replaced the ET after 50,000 miles (90k and 140k miles) because the sensor was acting up (showing low coolant warning for 5-10 secs randomly).

ZHP_Brandon
01-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Well, the sensor that monitors the coolant level is part of the expansion tank itself. Is it possible the sensor is faulty ? Maybe. Any clue when the expansion tank was replaced last time ?

In my case, my Indy replaced the ET after 50,000 miles (90k and 140k miles) because the sensor was acting up (showing low coolant warning for 5-10 secs randomly).

Is there any way of telling visually or electronically? And is there any way of telling how much coolant is in the system?

I ran the risk of driving the car to the dealership (I live 1.34 miles away from it) , and the car heated right up at optimal temps today while driving only AFTER freaking out about the coolant levels. But todays High was 42 degrees not below 30 like its been, so its making it rather difficult to gauge the situation at the moment

fredo
01-06-2016, 01:09 PM
I remember my Indy said something along these lines: the old ET was discolored inside. I don't have the invoice handy, maybe there's more info in there.

No, I don't know a way to tell how much coolant is in the system. I would say you can top off and then keep an eye on the level.

slater
01-06-2016, 01:28 PM
remember that coolant expands with heat, but it should not be so low that the bobber is sitting at the bottom. i would only add a correct mix of BMW coolant and distilled water - do not add generic stuff. mixing different types of coolants can cause buildup in the cooling system.

since you have not done the overhaul, i would proceed with that - expansion tank, upper/lower hoses, t-stat, water pump, new fluid, new belts. and replace your plastic water pump pulley with an aluminum one. you can do this entire procedure in 2.5hrs.

peter

Vas
01-06-2016, 01:58 PM
Interesting to why the light did not come on. Probably because the coolant expanded and then went above the low level. However it should have triggered a low level when the car was cold. Maybe it was not that low?

NorCalZman
01-06-2016, 02:11 PM
I think BMW sells a small bottle of premixed coolant. I seem to remember going "thats a great idea" and picking one up and keeping it in my trunk in case I ever discover I need a little refill on the go.

BMWCurves
01-06-2016, 04:25 PM
I filled my car with 50/50 mix of BMW coolant and distilled water. But I tend to top off with just distilled water since it's small amounts in the grand scheme of things.

Very strange that your expansion tank was empty. When was the last time you had the cooling system done?

danewilson77
01-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Word of advice. Don't overfill it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Fried_Chicken
01-06-2016, 11:18 PM

What antifreeze are you using?

Putting the wrong antifreeze in a car can cause trouble. It must be compatible with whatever plastics are in the system, and also provide the appropriate lubricating properties.

3ZHP
01-07-2016, 02:25 AM
It could possibly be the water pump. I had my low coolant light come on but saw no evidence of leakage. That's when I took it to the dealership to have the system pressure checked. The tech called me out to show me the seepage from the water pump vent hole.

I all worked out very well in the end. The tech had my fan out all the belts off and the water pump pulley off to find it. Per my request, he buttoned it back up and put the new pump and coolant in the back seat for me so, I could install It myself. Only was charged for the diagnosis fee.

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

ZHP_Brandon
01-07-2016, 03:16 PM
remember that coolant expands with heat, but it should not be so low that the bobber is sitting at the bottom. i would only add a correct mix of BMW coolant and distilled water - do not add generic stuff. mixing different types of coolants can cause buildup in the cooling system.

since you have not done the overhaul, i would proceed with that - expansion tank, upper/lower hoses, t-stat, water pump, new fluid, new belts. and replace your plastic water pump pulley with an aluminum one. you can do this entire procedure in 2.5hrs.

peter

Yeah Im investing in the cooling system, immediately in this case and hoping to have it all done the day I receive the parts. Idk what stage of ECSTuning's bundles I should buy, my mechanic said my radiator is fine at the moment, I know my upper and lower tubes need replacing as they look slightly swollen as of late

ZHP_Brandon
01-07-2016, 03:18 PM
Interesting to why the light did not come on. Probably because the coolant expanded and then went above the low level. However it should have triggered a low level when the car was cold. Maybe it was not that low?

I dont believe it was, I mixed the coolant with some good ol' poland spring last night, removed the plastic screw on the tank and added until the bobbler evened out, and now it drives plenty fine. I've kept a good eye on it and now it warms up better than before and it seems fine with no leakage but i'm wary of how things arent always how they seem.

ZHP_Brandon
01-07-2016, 03:20 PM
I filled my car with 50/50 mix of BMW coolant and distilled water. But I tend to top off with just distilled water since it's small amounts in the grand scheme of things.

Very strange that your expansion tank was empty. When was the last time you had the cooling system done?

In my owner ship never, slightly under 8K miles since shipped to NY from Pensacola, Florida

Now I know it needs to be done, more than ever as it never seemed like it was a problem til now

ZHP_Brandon
01-07-2016, 03:21 PM
Word of advice. Don't overfill it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I added only as much as the car asked me for, It had BMW blue-esque coolant and thats what I added so fingers crossed that it brings no extra headaches

ZHP_Brandon
01-07-2016, 03:23 PM
It could possibly be the water pump. I had my low coolant light come on but saw no evidence of leakage. That's when I took it to the dealership to have the system pressure checked. The tech called me out to show me the seepage from the water pump vent hole.

I all worked out very well in the end. The tech had my fan out all the belts off and the water pump pulley off to find it. Per my request, he buttoned it back up and put the new pump and coolant in the back seat for me so, I could install It myself. Only was charged for the diagnosis fee.

Im going to inspect the system tediously over the weekend, I'm driving it very short distances for now and it heats up just fine from what I can tell, I wish I had luck like yours thats awesome, I'll see if I can speak with a friend whos a tech sometime before this weekend and see if he can help

Vas
01-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Look at the kit from Turner Motorsports instead of ecstuning

3ZHP
01-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Im going to inspect the system tediously over the weekend, I'm driving it very short distances for now and it heats up just fine from what I can tell, I wish I had luck like yours thats awesome, I'll see if I can speak with a friend whos a tech sometime before this weekend and see if he can help

You may want to rent one of these to help.

http://m.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/pressure-tester-adapters/cst-cooling-system-tester-adapter/84330_0_0/?location=

BMWCurves
01-07-2016, 04:14 PM
Look at the kit from Turner Motorsports instead of ecstuning

+1

I have the Turner Motorsports kit and haven't had any issues, although they bundle a radiator with it.