PDA

View Full Version : EMP Stuart Water Pump!!! 40k miles

Dr Dynamite
12-23-2015, 06:15 PM
I came across a EMP Stuart Water Pump with 40k miles on it, keep in mind I am on a tight budget (sigh), what are your thoughts on buying this pump?
I don't need the part right now but I will some time soon. Thanks yall

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Johnmadd
12-23-2015, 06:16 PM
Buy it.

ELCID86
12-23-2015, 06:52 PM
Price?

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member

Dr Dynamite
12-23-2015, 10:35 PM
Price?

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member
85$....... I'm just wondering how long those pumps operate ... 85$ is a good deal

Dr Dynamite
12-23-2015, 10:41 PM
Buy it.
40k miles on the pump is ok you think?

FungShui
12-23-2015, 10:57 PM
Doesn't seem like a bad deal considering new is $195. Too bad the warranty is non transferable.

Johnmadd
12-24-2015, 07:03 AM
40k miles on the pump is ok you think?

It's definitely not a lot. Mine has 100,000.

ELCID86
12-24-2015, 08:36 AM
I'd probably go new but it sounds like an ok deal and most likely would not give you problems for quite some time.

KevinC
12-24-2015, 09:27 AM
Personally, I would NEVER buy a used water pump. To even remotely consider it, I'd have to know the seller and the mileage would have to be 100% confirmed. Even then - no. Just not worth the risk, and a proper new one is quite affordable anyways.

And, I replaced mine with OEM with composite impeller. Stewart's claim to fame is their metal impeller, but IMHO it's overkill and some say is not as efficient as the composite type, which are not crappy plastic like the old E36 generation garbage.

az3579
12-24-2015, 09:57 AM
I'd rather replace an OE water pump at a set interval than ever get stranded. The Stewart may last longer (or maybe not), but I'd rather not take the chance. The money you spend on a 40k water pump would probably just get you a brand new OE one.

sent from my Droid Turbo

danewilson77
12-24-2015, 10:53 AM
Personally, I would NEVER buy a used water pump. To even remotely consider it, I'd have to know the seller and the mileage would have to be 100% confirmed. Even then - no. Just not worth the risk, and a proper new one is quite affordable anyways.

And, I replaced mine with OEM with composite impeller. Stewart's claim to fame is their metal impeller, but IMHO it's overkill and some say is not as efficient as the composite type, which are not crappy plastic like the old E36 generation garbage.
I agree with this. Why is he selling it? Part out?

Simmsled
12-25-2015, 08:55 PM
I'd rather replace an OE water pump at a set interval than ever get stranded. The Stewart may last longer (or maybe not), but I'd rather not take the chance. The money you spend on a 40k water pump would probably just get you a brand new OE one.

sent from my Droid Turbo

1000% this.

Dr Dynamite
12-25-2015, 10:11 PM
I agree with this. Why is he selling it? Part out?

I found it on ebay. .. it made me curious but now I'm thinking I should just buy a new one for peace of mind. What should I get. Composite, oem ???

Simmsled
12-26-2015, 05:28 AM
Saleri is the brand you are looking for.
Pelican has it for a very decent price.

ELCID86
12-26-2015, 06:06 PM
OEM.

---

Sockethead
12-26-2015, 09:22 PM
Nothing wrong with composite OEM. One of the great myths of the Internet...the plastic impellers are long gone

stephenkirsh
12-27-2015, 11:33 AM
$85 is too close to the price of a brand new OEM one. I too would go OEM.

It could be 80k miles and the dude is just saying its 40k.

rkneeshaw
12-27-2015, 05:44 PM
Risky to buy one used off ebay. You just don't know where that things been. But 40k doesn't seem like much for a Stewart unit.

I went with Stewart because its a very high quality unit and it should last me the life of my car. OEM are known to fail. Comparing the two in person when I did the swap, I'm pretty confident I wont be replacing the stewart, its built very well...

Sockethead
12-29-2015, 11:48 AM
My Bosch metal impeller water pump only lasted 40k before the bearing failed in a very noisy way. Replaced with OEM

JohnnyGraphic
12-31-2015, 06:44 PM
My original BMW water pump was still working, but was leaking at 70k miles. I replaced it with a Graf metal impeller unit. The difference in price between the BMW unit and the Graf unit was negligible.

IMHO, I would buy a new OEM one for piece of mind.

BMWCurves
01-01-2016, 02:57 PM
I bought an OEM since supposedly BMW updated the composite material a few years after the E46 was launched to address its design flaws. You could go for the Stewart pump for ease of mind. Personally, I like to install brand new parts rather than used parts if they are integral to the engine's function. Peace of mind and all that.

JohnnyGraphic
01-04-2016, 01:40 PM
T
I bought an OEM since supposedly BMW updated the composite material a few years after the E46 was launched to address its design flaws. You could go for the Stewart pump for ease of mind. Personally, I like to install brand new parts rather than used parts if they are integral to the engine's function. Peace of mind and all that.

Totally agree with this. Cooling system is pretty critical to the engine. Would not skimp.

Sent by a Monkey in Outer Space

STREETFIGHTER50
01-05-2016, 10:12 PM
Saleri is what I put in my current & previous cars

Fried_Chicken
01-06-2016, 12:56 AM
I would stick with OEM. BMW designed the car, the engine, the cooling system. If they felt a high flow pump were necessary they would have put one in.

cakM3
01-06-2016, 06:23 AM
OP, I would recommend getting an OEM BMW water pump from FCP Euro. They offer a remanufactured OEM BMW water pump for $104.99 which also comes with their lifetime warranty on this part. Yes, a lifetime warranty. You won't get that with the used Stuart water pump or any water pump you get from anywhere else..... For just a little more than what you can get I will say it's worth piece of mind knowing if you have any issues you can contact FCP Euro and have another one on the way - you pay cost of shipping. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Here's the link :thumbsup

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-water-pump-genuine-bmw-11517527910oe (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-water-pump-genuine-bmw-11517527910oe)

In fact, get everything you will need from FCP Euro because they will warranty anything they sell for life....

link to their writeup on their warranty.... https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee (https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee)

Just_George
01-06-2016, 08:42 AM
I would stick with OEM. BMW designed the car, the engine, the cooling system. If they felt a high flow pump were necessary they would have put one in.

Not sure I entirely agree with this. Every auto manufacturer makes compromises, usually based on price. Do you really think Sachs are the best struts/shocks that BMW could install at the factory? No, Konis or Bilsteins would be better, but the Sachs are probably the best value compromise. Manufacturers aren't shopping for the absolute best part, they're shopping for the best value.

I'm of the opinion that some aftermarket companies can devote the time and effort to developing superior products that the factory simply won't consider based on cost. I'll gladly spend the money for something like an EMP Stewart water pump, or the G.A.S. Disa kit just for the added piece of mind. Surely not everybody's cup of tea, just my opinion.

stephenkirsh
01-06-2016, 03:00 PM

Is that why the expansion tank fails if you sneeze too closely to it?

az3579
01-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Is that why the expansion tank fails if you sneeze too closely to it?

I think that's more to do with the higher pressure cap they use. This is why I bought a G.A.S. expansion tank cap - it vents at a lower pressure, reducing the amount of pressure the tank has to take.

stephenkirsh
01-08-2016, 12:52 PM
I was making a humorous observation that BMW, or any manufacturer, doesn't always design something to the best of the best, an therefore, the OEM water pump isn't necessarily the best simply because BMW made it.

I bought a cap from the e30 expansion tank. 1.4 bar and like 1/10th cost of the GAS one.

BMWCurves
01-08-2016, 02:31 PM
I was making a humorous observation that BMW, or any manufacturer, doesn't always design something to the best of the best, an therefore, the OEM water pump isn't necessarily the best simply because BMW made it.

I bought a cap from the e30 expansion tank. 1.4 bar and like 1/10th cost of the GAS one.

Part number?