PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Replacement

das boots
12-21-2015, 07:15 PM
Have any of you guys already done a clutch replacement? I just read an article by Mike Miller that clutches are supposed to be replaced by the 150K mark. Does the clutch replacement come as a kit? Do you guys have the kit P/N? What parts are in the kit? Thanks.

BMWCurves
12-21-2015, 07:27 PM
Clutches are one of those items that are very dependent upon how it has been driven by the driver. If the driver is/was skilled and knows how to minimize clutch wear through proper engagement and shifting techniques, it can last as long as BP's (I think he's on his original clutch at 200k+ miles), while I've seen clutches need replacing in other cars before 90k miles because people ride their clutch, don't rev match, or any other habit that increases clutch wear.

If you don't notice any slip in the clutch, then there's no real point in replacing it. Not sure what the job entails precisely, but I'd wager a fair amount of labor.

Someone else can weigh in who has done it.

Vas
12-22-2015, 07:44 AM
The previous owner of my imola sedan did a clutch replacement before I bought the car. I have records of it being done and what parts were used that I can pull up.

Not sure the reason to why it was replaced since there are plenty of people that have higher miles on their factory clutch. My wifes zhp is at 135k and the clutch is still great to this day. Just comes down to how you drive.

az3579
12-22-2015, 08:46 AM
237k on the original clutch, with no signs of imminent slip. Still engages at a reasonable point in the pedal travel.
If it ain't slippin', I wouldn't worry about it.

It would probably be a good idea to replace the flywheel as well when the time comes, though I think read somewhere that they can be resurfaced or something like that...

The problem is, a clutch and a flywheel will have you staring at a $1000 bill just for those two parts.

ELCID86
12-23-2015, 06:02 PM
197k on OE clutch.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member

das boots
12-23-2015, 08:16 PM
How is the test you guys are using to check if the clutch is still good? Or at least no slipping?

danewilson77
12-26-2015, 08:55 PM
Try to move the car in 6th gear.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
12-27-2015, 02:50 AM
Try to move the car in 6th gear.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Yup, stick it in a high gear at a medium speed so the engine speed is pretty darn slow, and step on it. If the tach increases while your car's speed stays the same, then your clutch is slipping and probably needs replacement. If it mashing on the gas doesn't yield much other than a slow buildup of speed matched by a similar slow build up in the tach, then your clutch should be good.