PDA

View Full Version : shifter bushing pins - tips?

slater
11-23-2015, 11:32 PM
hey guys.

i'm in the middle of rebuilding my shifter linkage. i have the shift lever out, rear bushing out... trying to get the two pins out that hold the shifter fork to the trans case. i've wiggled both pin clips to the point of breaking - and they broke - but the pin shafts will not budge. they are both totally locked in there. being a 6-speed with the 2 attachment points, there really isn't much room to work in there.

any advice? BTDTs?

thanks!

Vas
11-24-2015, 06:24 AM
Any pics of it? Having a hard time to visualize the issue.

How about taking some heat to them?

slater
11-24-2015, 07:05 AM
Any pics of it? Having a hard time to visualize the issue.

How about taking some heat to them?

here's a pic - not my car, but it's a good pic of what i'm looking it. all i have left in my view is the shifter fork - everything else is removed. you can see that the two pins (circled) holding the fork in basically have no room on the inside for leverage, and on the outside, my clips broke off. i'd rather not use heat because of the seal right next to the pins - i am also having a heck of a time removing that seal (it was weeping), so maybe i could apply heat once it's out.

there's no corrosion that i can see. they're just stuck. and lying on your back under the car with limited access angle just makes it worse.

Vas
11-24-2015, 07:10 AM
Hmm that is tricky. You sure the clips are removed that hold them in place?

slater
11-24-2015, 07:16 AM
Hmm that is tricky. You sure the clips are removed that hold them in place?

yes, pretty sure they're removed... give me some credit, here, vas! ;) LOL. i said in my previous post that they broke off! :)

i'll try to take a pic of what it currently looks like, so you can share my pain.

Sockethead
11-24-2015, 08:06 AM
On of my pins was frozen when I did my shifter. It took many hours of cursing before I got it out. Part of the problem is that the clip itself has no strength to it, plus there is Zero room to get to it
I was able to get a big effen screw driver behind the clip and pry/ hammer the crap out of it and it finally popped out.

Sockethead
11-24-2015, 08:11 AM
Thinking about it, I think I was able to get the screw driver between the end of the pin and the case and pop it out that way..
No matter what, you're going to have to use brute force to get it out...

Drop the crossmember if you have to... It will give you a bit more room

slater
11-24-2015, 08:17 AM
Thinking about it, I think I was able to get the screw driver between the end of the pin and the case and pop it out that way..
No matter what, you're going to have to use brute force to get it out...

Drop the crossmember if you have to... It will give you a bit more room

thanks, that helps! one question: by "end of the pin and the case", you are meaning the inside of the pin, correct? (right next to the selector shaft) i basically have no "outside" now. :) it's going to be tricky because the selector shaft is right there and i don't want to damage it or pry against it.

i've already removed the crossmember and lowered the trans down about 2" (it is supported by a jack now).

Sockethead
11-24-2015, 08:30 AM
Yes between the pin and the case I can't remember exactly because that was many years ago but there is a place to pry/wedge from without damaging or prying against moving parts.

I had some pics... I'll see if I can find them tonight...

slater
11-24-2015, 08:33 AM
Yes between the pin and the case I can't remember exactly because that was many years ago but there is a place to pry/wedge from without damaging or prying against moving parts.

I had some pics... I'll see if I can find them tonight...

wonderful - you rock. thanks!

Sockethead
11-24-2015, 08:37 AM
Glad to help

Vas
11-24-2015, 08:59 AM
yes, pretty sure they're removed... give me some credit, here, vas! ;) LOL. i said in my previous post that they broke off! :)

i'll try to take a pic of what it currently looks like, so you can share my pain.

lol. If worst come to worst, you can replace the pins. I think prying on them is your best option as long as the angle is there.

slater
11-24-2015, 09:08 AM
lol. If worst come to worst, you can replace the pins. I think prying on them is your best option as long as the angle is there.

give me some more credit here, vas... :rofl i have new pins already! ;)

:cheers

Vas
11-24-2015, 09:25 AM
give me some more credit here, vas... :rofl i have new pins already! ;)

Dude you killing me with the lulz :)

slater
11-24-2015, 07:45 PM
GOT THE DANG PINS OUT!

and the shift selector shaft seal!

Sockethead
11-25-2015, 07:52 AM
Awesome! How did you end up doing it?

slater
11-25-2015, 06:27 PM
Awesome! How did you end up doing it?

i made a tool to pry the pins out, from the inside. took 20min to make the tool and 5min to get the pins out. :)

then i got the dumb selector shaft seal out in 2min with a screwdriver method i saw on youtube of all places, after spending 2hrs trying to get it out with a pick set!

sweet relief!

will put other details, and pics, in my project thread... shift linkage is TIGHT now. wowzers. made some tweaks.

Sockethead
11-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Good work...Great idea to go from the inside.
It's a good feeling to have a frustrating project behind you

slater
11-25-2015, 06:41 PM
Good work...Great idea to go from the inside.
It's a good feeling to have a frustrating project behind you

tell me about it. but this particular issue was is only about 10% of my project. :)

i was so relieved when they came out (and that seal too), because that was the final aspect of 'old crap' to remove from the car. today i began reassembly... lots of good progress. subframe and rear suspension is in, along with new trans mounts and the renewed and improved shift linkage.

Sockethead
11-25-2015, 06:51 PM
Good stuff...I'm going to have check out your project thread when I get a chance :)

Vas
11-25-2015, 07:39 PM
That's great news

Vas
12-14-2016, 11:42 AM
Dont mean to bump an old thread but any chance you might have the part number for the shaft seal? And what was the method for removing and installing it?

slater
12-14-2016, 12:24 PM
Dont mean to bump an old thread but any chance you might have the part number for the shaft seal? And what was the method for removing and installing it?

dude... i keep all part numbers categorized in numerical, ascending order, right in my shirt pocket.... ;)

(checks realoem.com for 2min)

#8 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=EV53-USA-06-2004-E46-BMW-330i&diagId=23_1053

part # 23117531360

method: (i tried for hours with a pick set... this method took me 5min!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkTzhZxBYaw

Vas
12-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the assist :)

slater
12-14-2016, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the assist :)

no prob - let me know how it goes! :)