PDA

View Full Version : e46 glass: What to look for

Sockethead
09-19-2015, 05:45 AM
BP talking about e46 glass and DOT numbers got me thinking that we really need to have some info on this. IDK if there is a thread about this as I'm not on here as much as I used to be but I found this thread on an auto glass industry forum that talks about the DOT numbers and how horrible the glass coming out of China is... an older thread but some good information I want to share...

http://pub24.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2036554146&frmid=6&msgid=899142&cmd=show

danewilson77
09-19-2015, 05:50 AM
Thanks Rob.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

NorCalZman
09-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Are we "safe" if we buy from BMW directly? I always assumed when it came to auto glass I would just go to BMW to ensure good quality.

az3579
09-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Are we "safe" if we buy from BMW directly? I always assumed when it came to auto glass I would just go to BMW to ensure good quality.

It depends. My glass that I ended up with as the final one is a BMW branded glass made by Pilkington, made in the UK.
I've heard of new F30's coming with glass made in China, with a BMW logo and everything. I don't know how reliable that information was, but the official answer to your question is: "anything aftermarket is a crapshoot". I'd rather have an OE glass made in China than an aftermarket made there, because the manufacturers have to meet the quality specifications that the car maker specifies. Always buy OE glass with a BMW logo on it whenever possible.

Rob, that is the site I was extracting lots of info from when I was doing my research.

Here is a listing of DOT codes and where they're made:
http://www.carwindshields.info/dot_db

It may be slightly incomplete, but you get the gist of it.

cakM3
09-19-2015, 05:28 PM
according to the list there are 904 different vendors on the DOT list...

az3579
09-19-2015, 06:35 PM
according to the list there are 904 different vendors on the DOT list...

It's not 904 different vendors. Note that there are multiple entries for some of the vendors on there because they have glass made in different places.

Pilkington, for example, makes glass in Mexico, the U.S., China, the U.K., Australia, Sweden, and some other places I'm forgetting.

Each location of manufacture AND brand has its own DOT code. So, taking the example above, Pilk has at least six DOT codes to its name. Doing a quick search in that list I linked to, I counted two dozen before I gave up counting.

rkneeshaw
03-18-2017, 04:42 AM
So what DOT codes should we be looking for if we want good glass?

I've heard of some pilkington that isn't good?

az3579
03-18-2017, 05:42 AM
So what DOT codes should we be looking for if we want good glass?

I've heard of some pilkington that isn't good?
Pilkington has some sub brands that are garbage. When I had my glass replaced, I specifically asked for Pilkington. What I got instead was some shitty sub brand of Pilkington that was made in China. There were ripples all over the glass and was nauseating to look through.

The second time around, they gave me real BMW branded Pilkington glass. Some minor rippling was still present on the very edges where the glass curves, but the rest of the glass was fine.

After noticing this even on my OE BMW replacement glass, I started paying attention to other cars, even my loaner BMWs. They all had the slight rippling on the edges, so it's something I've come to expect as normal. Rippling through the normal viewing area, however, is NOT normal, which my first glass (PGW branded, Chinese DOT code) had.

For BMW, actual Pilkington or Sekurit branded glass should yield you good overall results.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ELCID86
03-18-2017, 06:30 AM
Mine is DOT 177 (hecho en Mexico)

Sockethead
03-18-2017, 11:23 AM
Mine is DOT 177 (hecho en Mexico)

Mine is DOT 177 too.
I'm confused by the listing

DOT177L-N SAFETY GLASS S.A.DE C.V. OF MEXACALITOLEDO, OH, USA

Do what is in Toledo Ohio?

Mexican company owning a plant in Toledo?

ELCID86
03-18-2017, 03:29 PM
That is odd. :dunno

fredo
03-18-2017, 04:48 PM
SA de CV is popular among Mexican companies. Something like LLC here. I bet the glass was made in Mexico and distributed to USA via OH.

John in VA
03-19-2017, 06:15 AM
I've heard of new F30's coming with glass made in China, with a BMW logo and everything. I don't know how reliable that information was, but the official answer to your question is: "anything aftermarket is a crapshoot". I'd rather have an OE glass made in China than an aftermarket made there, because the manufacturers have to meet the quality specifications that the car maker specifies. Always buy OE glass with a BMW logo on it whenever possible.
Yep - my wife's 10.2012 F30 has all-original Fuyao made in China glass, DOT782. No problems, even at the edges.