PDA

View Full Version : The trunk wire harness is brittle, now what?

Dr Dynamite
09-17-2015, 09:21 AM
Hi everybody, I am new here [emoji2] and today I replaced my trunk lock actuator, I was hoping that would fix my "trunk door open dashboard" warning and it didn't so I checked the wire harness boot and low and behold the wires were split, 6 wires were cut off and I need help with how to bring the wires back into contact with each other. The problem is the wires are short, meaning I need to add on some wire to each of them.

My question is what type of wire will work? Red or black for all of them? Should I Solder them or ???

Any help or advice would be appreciated [emoji4]
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

slater
09-17-2015, 09:36 AM
BTDT with my old ZHP coupe. butt splices are you friend! no need for extra wire. then wrap it well with electrical tape (remember to stretch the tape as you apply it).

peter

az3579
09-17-2015, 10:15 AM
Solder is always the best for a nice solid connection. You can use either liquid electrical tape to cover it up, or you can use real electrical tape, then wrap it with some fabric tape to give it a nicer appearance. I wouldn't use any kind of crimp on connector for this kind of scenario.

Oli77
09-17-2015, 03:57 PM
I would solder as well.

slater
09-17-2015, 05:47 PM
Solder is always the best for a nice solid connection. You can use either liquid electrical tape to cover it up, or you can use real electrical tape, then wrap it with some fabric tape to give it a nicer appearance. I wouldn't use any kind of crimp on connector for this kind of scenario.

I would solder as well.

man. i'm sending you both a box of butt splices for christmas.

peter

az3579
09-18-2015, 02:34 AM
man. i'm sending you both a box of butt splices for christmas.

peter

Don't waste the shipping, I already have a box that'll likely never get used. lol

slater
09-18-2015, 04:05 AM
Don't waste the shipping, I already have a box that'll likely never get used. lol

canadian ones?

;)

peter

az3579
09-18-2015, 04:15 AM
canadian ones?

;)

peter

I have to admit my "Monster, eh?" was definitely was more flavorful than the regular Monster drinks I have here. If anything, the Canadian box will be more inquisitive.