PDA

View Full Version : Hot tips on removing intake boot?

Asiah119
09-05-2015, 12:40 PM
I'm trying to replace my ccv and have had a hell of a day just getting to it. The latest problem is that my giant's hands are having trouble getting to the hose clamps of the lower intake boot. The idle clamp is facing the firewall and the vacuum line going to the master cylinder is directly in front of it. For the main clamp I can almost get a ratchet and socket on it from below but I can't get it to turn.... I'm close to wanting to just rip the damn thing off.

wsmeyer
09-05-2015, 12:49 PM
A long 45 degree needle nose pliers works bist IMO

WOLFN8TR
09-05-2015, 02:59 PM
The easiest way is to cut them off with a exacto knife and install some new boots afterward.

ELCID86
09-05-2015, 03:08 PM
^yep. Cut them and not yourself. Try to leave some rubber there to allow twisting the round clamp into position so it can be loosened.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

Asiah119
09-05-2015, 03:32 PM
I ended up trying to get that heat shield out one more time and succeeded, then moved the vacuum line to the master cylinder out of the way and had all the space in the world.
Is there any real gain to the fancy pants boots? Or just go oe? I really don't even know what the cost of of are, the upper boot has cracking on it and the Y for the idler is torn (now? Idk I'm going to say it was torn before I pulled it off).

Idk what I was expecting with the ccv replace but getting all of these parts off has been a big pain in the ass. First a stopped torx on the disa, then spent way too long trying to get the boots off. My oil level sensor stopped working and I was planning on doing that w my oil change today but ended up not wanting to pull that brace off then ended up dropping a socket and had to pull the brace off to recover the socket. It's been a bit of a shit day, but I was outside, working on my car so it was also a good day.

ELCID86
09-05-2015, 06:15 PM
Nice job. Go OE.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

WOLFN8TR
09-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Ya it can be a real PITA to get to most of that stuff, dropping tools just adds to the frustration.

Asiah119
09-06-2015, 09:15 AM
Rather than starting a whole new thread:

I got everything reconnected. My hands look like I got in a fight with a weed eater. Bc of the torn intake boots I didn't put everything back on but reconnected the disa and started the engine to see if anything interesting happened.

Started right up, nice smooth idle (unlike before) I still have some vacuum at the oil fill cap. Bc my fuse to frustration is short from struggling with reconnecting the ccv, how much should I worry about that? indicative of an issue?

danewilson77
09-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Good work.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk