PDA

View Full Version : Leatherique question - seat belts

az3579
07-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Quick Leatherique question to those who have used it before.

When you apply the Leatherique Rejuvenator oil to the rear seats, the seat belts make contact with the oiled leather. It was my understanding that oil can weaken seat belts. Is this true? How have the rest of you dealt with this problem, or is this even a problem?

NoVAphotog
07-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Quick Leatherique question to those who have used it before.

When you apply the Leatherique Rejuvenator oil to the rear seats, the seat belts make contact with the oiled leather. It was my understanding that oil can weaken seat belts. Is this true? How have the rest of you dealt with this problem, or is this even a problem?

+1

Getting ready to do my first round of Leatherique as well so definitely curious on this. Also, best methods for applying/buffing/removing the two products...

az3579
07-28-2015, 05:46 PM
+1

Getting ready to do my first round of Leatherique as well so definitely curious on this. Also, best methods for applying/buffing/removing the two products...

I used a foam painter brush from Home Depot and a small paint plastic bowl thing also from HD. I pour a bit into the plastic container and used the foam brush to soak up some of the liquid and then apply very liberally over the seats. When I would use the side of the brush, some liquid would ooze out so I'd use that on un-oiled parts of the seats instead of dipping again. It worked out really well; I got plenty of product on the seats. When I was done wiping the product onto a seat, I'd put on a glove and wipe the oil over the seat, putting a little bit of pressure, trying to massage the seat a bit. I paid close attention to the edges, folds, and seams. This spreads the product better and ensures the oil goes where it needs to.

For the seatbelt areas, being unsure, I just decided to apply less product to those areas as to not saturate the seat belts with the stuff. I didn't want to wait for an answer, and figured detailers use this stuff all the time. I doubt they remove seat belts just to do this, so I figured what harm can a single application do. I would like some input from those who use this on a regular basis though.

Johnmadd
07-28-2015, 05:54 PM
Put a garbage bag over the "chair".

NoVAphotog
07-29-2015, 02:53 PM
Any before and after pics bp?

az3579
07-29-2015, 05:59 PM
Any before and after pics bp?

I'm not known for pics, so very very minimal afters. No befores.

HokieZHP
07-30-2015, 08:52 PM
To be safe when I condition seats I usually will put two strips of painters tape overlapping one another and sticking out past the edge of the seat belt to protect it. That way only the tape is contacting the seat

az3579
07-31-2015, 03:17 AM
To be safe when I condition seats I usually will put two strips of painters tape overlapping one another and sticking out past the edge of the seat belt to protect it. That way only the tape is contacting the seat
That's a great idea. So simple; can't believe I didn't think of that. Will do that the next time around. Thanks! :thumbsup

sent from my Droid Turbo

TheFinanceGuy
08-03-2015, 06:04 AM

This. I've done this.

94LSXS10
08-31-2015, 06:29 AM
I looped my seatbelts through the roof handles to hold them off the seat.

ELCID86
08-31-2015, 07:32 AM
I looped my seatbelts through the roof handles to hold them off the seat.

Now you're thinking with your dipstick!

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

Alikessu
10-29-2015, 01:06 PM
so does this stuff really work that well
and how often do you apply it?
thanks

NoVAphotog
10-29-2015, 01:22 PM
thanks

Yes. And once a year, in the summer when it's hot out. My seats are buttery soft after one application. Probably will do another next summer and finish off the bottles I got and I'm good to go for awhile with how little I drive.

Alikessu
10-29-2015, 01:24 PM
Thanks
shall I order off e bay the two are around $50

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
10-29-2015, 01:38 PM
Yes. And once a year, in the summer when it's hot out. My seats are buttery soft after one application. Probably will do another next summer and finish off the bottles I got and I'm good to go for awhile with how little I drive.

*checks calendar*

Dammit

*checks weather forecast*

Dammit!

I plan to do this next year as soon as it gets warm out for a few days straight. My leather's in perfectly good shape, but is 10 years old and doubt the previous owners did any sort of leather treatment. The driver's seat is starting to get a slight sheen to it, the rest are matte.

Thanks
shall I order off e bay the two are around $50

I would also like to know where you sourced it.

Alikessu
10-29-2015, 01:44 PM
I think if we have a few sunny days and you have the car outside it would get pretty warm inside the car.
at least when I leave work after a full day

Alikessu
10-29-2015, 01:45 PM
looks like we will have 75 next week in Raleigh, if I order today should have by the[emoji106]🏻

BMWCurves
10-29-2015, 02:26 PM
looks like we will have 75 next week in Raleigh, if I order today should have by the[emoji106]��

Jealous. Forecast here is highs in the low 50s for the foreseeable future. Combined with the diminishing number of daylight hours, low angle of the sun, lots of trees around my house blocking what sunlight there is, and my tinted windows, it's not looking like good Leatherique-ing conditions.

Alikessu
10-29-2015, 02:37 PM
good luck Curves
till next summer I guess

az3579
10-29-2015, 03:38 PM
thanks

Yes. And once a year...

The bottle recommends 2-4 times a year, which is what I'm going to be aiming for when weather allows.

SwiftyM3
11-20-2015, 09:25 AM
What would the ideal conditions be for this?

BMWCurves
11-20-2015, 09:51 AM
And where do you guys buy it?

az3579
11-20-2015, 09:52 AM
What would the ideal conditions be for this?

Temperatures inside the car need to be hot for best results. Late spring and summer are the best times for it, though it's entirely temperature dependent. Or, if you have a heated garage, crank the heat up so the inside gets hot.

It can be purchased from Detailers Domain, amongst other places.

D1ESEL
12-23-2015, 07:24 AM
Why don't you guys just remove your seats? It's really not that hard. I have purchased it on Autogeek

I also prefer the Chemical Guys conditioner and cleaner

az3579
12-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Why don't you guys just remove your seats? It's really not that hard. I have purchased it on Autogeek

I also prefer the Chemical Guys conditioner and cleaner

Because cranking the heat up to over 100 (if that's even possible) in whatever room you'd be storing them in is not advisable...
Leatherique needs heat to work. Leaving the seats in the car on a summer day is the best way to do it.

Removing and re-installing seats is also quite time consuming...