PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in aftermarket aluminum interior pieces?

melonz
07-23-2015, 10:49 PM
Today I was sitting in my car and looking at all the wear spots in the plastics (mostly the plasti dipped parts) and thought it'd be cool to have black anodized aluminum replace the high wear areas. Particular areas that came to mind were the cup holders and the steering wheel trim.

Another thought was to replace the door handle with something less chrome lol.

My work revolves around 3D modeling and I like to work on projects in my free time as well so this could be done over the next few months.

Just a thought I had. :biggrin

az3579
07-24-2015, 04:19 AM
A really cool idea. From the perspective of why they made them the way they are though: these pieces as they are (when brand new) feel really nice. Metal doesn't have a very nice feel to it. The tactile feeling of the soft-touch material is nicer to deal with, IMO, even if it doesn't last as long.

A very very very well designed product made of anodized aluminum, however, may sway me, depending on just how OE it looks. It's hard to pull off, but if you can, I'd be down. :thumbsup

yura
07-24-2015, 10:26 AM
Today I was sitting in my car and looking at all the wear spots in the plastics (mostly the plasti dipped parts) and thought it'd be cool to have black anodized aluminum replace the high wear areas. Particular areas that came to mind were the cup holders and the steering wheel trim.

Another thought was to replace the door handle with something less chrome lol.

My work revolves around 3D modeling and I like to work on projects in my free time as well so this could be done over the next few months.

Just a thought I had. :biggrin

In my experience, aftermarket mouldings & body parts never fit right, and that's the #1 issue of importance for me. If you can get the correct fit, I'm sure you'll have people lining up to pick these items up.

While on the subject, someone told me (years ago) that manufacturers get their mouldings copyrighted, so that's why aftermarket companies never make identical parts, but rather ones that are "just" off in fit. No idea whether this has any truth to it.

QC_ZHP
07-24-2015, 11:08 AM
Hm..I'd be interesting in seeing what the steering trim would look like. I'm not big on aftermarket interior pieces but you could be onto something. Like kerunt said above, its all about fitment.

FL116
07-24-2015, 11:15 AM
Hm..I'd be interesting in seeing what the steering trim would look like. I'm not big on aftermarket interior pieces but you could be onto something. Like kerunt said above, its all about fitment.

+1

az3579
07-24-2015, 11:30 AM

Thinking about it, interior pieces such as steering wheel trim and cupholders being metal is probably a very bad idea. If it's very hot inside the car, you could burn yourself just touching those pieces, both of which are easily touched and easily forgotton about.

QC_ZHP
07-24-2015, 12:25 PM
Thinking about it, interior pieces such as steering wheel trim and cupholders being metal is probably a very bad idea. If it's very hot inside the car, you could burn yourself just touching those pieces, both of which are easily touched and easily forgotton about.

Agree 100%, but they still make aluminum shift knobs, etc.

johnrando
07-24-2015, 12:42 PM
Wld def be interested.

az3579
07-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Agree 100%, but they still make aluminum shift knobs, etc.
Yeah, and I'm shocked people buy them. Not being able to start driving the car till it cools off gets old pretty quickly.

sent from my Droid Turbo