PDA

View Full Version : Recurring steering angle sensor codes when adjusting steering column

2004_blue_zhp
07-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Over the last three years, I've had three separate incidents where adjusting my steering column (particularly for reach...i.e. in and out rather than up and down) has caused my DSC and Brake lights to come on steady orange. It looks like this:

Each time, when the codes were read, it said something about a problem with the steering angle sensor.

Each time, a simple reset got rid of the codes permanently. I.e. as long as I left the steering wheel where it was, everything was fine and the lights stayed off. However, today is now the second time that someone moving my steering wheel has caused the same lights to light. And I'm assuming that when I get the codes read, it'll be the same issue.

Can you think of any reason that telescoping the wheel would cause this sensor to throw codes? And maybe more relevantly, anything I can do other than just resetting the codes? This is pretty annoying since telescoping the wheel is a pretty reasonable thing for a driver to do when they get in. Would really love to avoid paying $100 each time this happens (and I head to a dealer/mechanic to clear the codes).

prowlerflyer
07-13-2015, 02:05 AM
For about $50 you can get a OBD scanner and be able to read/reset codes yourself. There is a running deal within the family for these, I do not have the thread easily retrievable on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anandoc
07-13-2015, 05:45 AM
$35 for PA Soft from Tony, and you can read and reset the codes yourself. As for what maybe triggering this code by simply adjusting the steering wheel, sorry no idea. Maybe the more experienced members can weigh in here.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?14456-FS-PASOFT-BMW-SCANNER-1-4

2004_blue_zhp
07-18-2015, 02:58 PM
And now a first: the lights cleared today. No action taken. Hmph.