PDA

View Full Version : Leaking rear passenger shock

yura
07-04-2015, 09:45 AM
So the rear passenger shock on my ML350 is leaking. In fact, I suspect it has been so for almost a year (been hearing loud BANGs from that corner when riding off-road). The shock is covered in "mushroom"-looking junk, whereas the other shock is clean.

Would you guys suggest replacing both rear shocks at the same time? Or all four corners? Anything else worth replacing down there? Perhaps a full suspension refresh? I'm on air suspension. Car has 120k km / 74k miles on it, and I believe it's on all original components.

Oli77
07-04-2015, 10:43 AM
Same thing happened to me about a month ago. At 97k miles, I figured it was time to do the rear shocks. Changed the upper strut mounts and added reinforcement plates. Reused the bump stops.

Next week or so, I will do the front shocks. Figured if one of them failed, they will all fail soon.

slater
07-04-2015, 07:00 PM
always good to do all 4 at the same time.

peter

cakM3
07-05-2015, 08:15 AM
I recently went thru this but on my ZHP it was a rear driver's side blown shock. I replaced both the driver's and passenger's side rear shocks. If anything....replace them in pairs :thumbsup

Sent from my iPhone5S using Tapatalk

Fried_Chicken
07-05-2015, 08:09 PM
Does the ML350 have traditional shocks or is it something mercedes specific (airmatic, ABC, etc)>

az3579
07-06-2015, 03:04 AM
Shocks are always specified as an "in pairs" replacement, at the minimum. All four is best, but doing them in pairs is the minimum.

yura
07-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Thanks, guys. Pair it is. Unfortunately a crazy expensive replacement due to the air suspension (airmatic) - need to look around and check aftermarket options.

Fried_Chicken
07-08-2015, 12:36 PM
The Airmatic struts are know to develop leaks at the top as the rubber cracks.
I'm not sure about the gunk, but there is a repair kit for the upper rubber mounts that can be applied across all struts.
If it's not that, you're looking at a crazy expensive new strut.

More than likely there are regular cool struts as an aftermarket option which you may want to consider.

yura
07-08-2015, 08:08 PM
I haven't been able to talk to any of the local dealerships yet, but my mechanic (who's serviced all my cars for the last ~5 years) can get Bilstein shocks (specifically for my air suspension) for $950CAD + tax. A Toyota-mechanic buddy ran the numbers on his end and got a similar (slightly lower) price. If I'm replacing two of these, that's $2.5k with labour. This, along with a few electronics issues that have been coming and going over the last few months got me looking for other cars.

I test drove a bunch of trucks (need lots of room for my current dog & upcoming second one - in a few years - as well as high clearance and 4x4 for adventures), and wasn't happy with anything. The 2016 Tacoma (for sale in a few months) might be a winner, but at this point I'm leaning towards fixing everything and keeping the SUV for another couple years (as originally intended).

So I'm looking around for prices online.

Option 1: The same Bilstein shock (http://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-24-166980-Monotube-Shock-Absorber/dp/B009FU7TXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436413932&sr=8-1&keywords=24-166980) that my mechanic can get, but from Amazon for $525USD ~= $750CAD after currency conversion and taxes.

Option 2: This DEDC shock (http://www.amazon.com/DEDC-Absorber-Suspension-spring-Mercedes/dp/B00S7UBWHK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1436313954&sr=8-5&keywords=mercedes+ml+air+shock+rear), again from Amazon, $387USD ~= $550CAD.

Option 3: Dealership. Almost guaranteed to cost more than either of the options above.

My mechanic agreed that with traditional shocks, replacing both at the same time is the way to go, but said that with air shocks I can get away with replacing just one, as the car will level itself out (if I don't plan on keeping the car too long).

Turns out my rear camber arm bushings are also cracked, and while not in too poor of a state, they could be replaced.

At this point I need to decide between the Bilstein and the DEDC shocks. I've never heard of DEDC - can anyone provide some feedback? I think I'll do both sides, along with the bushings, with the intention of keeping the car for at least two more years.

yura
07-08-2015, 08:18 PM
Just got real lucky - found the Bilstein mentioned above, brand new but without box on eBay for $330USD. Bought it, and will have it by the 15th. Also found a local store (http://www.bilsteincanada.com) that carries the same shock for $611CAD + taxes = $684CAD. Will call them tomorrow to grab a second one. Looks like I've got both Bilsteins for $1154CAD, which is a relative "steal."

Fried_Chicken
07-10-2015, 06:57 PM
I would stick with the Airmatic suspension, it does add to the car.
Have you looked into Arnott shocks? They're less than $1k US and you would only have to replace one.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/

johnrando
07-11-2015, 07:04 AM
Good deal Kerunt.

sent from mobile device

yura
07-11-2015, 04:49 PM
I would stick with the Airmatic suspension, it does add to the car.
Have you looked into Arnott shocks? They're less than $1k US and you would only have to replace one.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/

I did check Arnott out - they don't have a rear shock for Airmatic. They have air bags and front shocks, but no rears :(. Oh well, everything is already in transit on its way to me.