PDA

View Full Version : New member from Birmingham, AL

Beto0o
06-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Hi everyone, just figured I should probably introduce myself. My name is Gil, nickname Beto, i'm currently studying for an electrical engineering degree.

I recently picked up an '04 ZHP, she has decent mileage, 198k miles but the price and condition was nice enough for me to take a chance on it. First weekend with it I went ahead and replaced the front suspension on it (new control arms, bushings, and tie rod ends). I also had to replace the shifter bushings from sloppy play in it, and I went ahead and replaced the guibo while I had the driveshaft off the transmission. So that was a good chunk of change spent already. I'm debating if I should do VANOS first or do the cooling system first. Not sure if I can afford both before my classes start in the fall. Any tips are appreciated.

Oh also I have a thud or clunk type of sound when I push the clutch in. I though it was the guibo from doing some googling but the sound is still there. Any ideas on what I should inspect?

Here's a few random pics. The corvette in the back was my daily, but she'll be gone soon.

jpalazzi87
06-15-2015, 02:55 PM
Welcome, nice car, about the same miles as mine, and hopefully many more enjoyable ones, and for the noise , possibly a rear shock mount if its when letting out the cluch and taking off from the suspension loading and unloading, possibly even a diff carrier bushing that's seen better days moving a little?
Also personally I would do the cooling system first, the vanos will make it run a little less than perfect, if a cooling component fails, you might be out an engine if its not caught fast enough, I'd rather have that piece of mind.

Beto0o
06-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Thanks, I hope so too, it really is a fun car! The noise actually comes when I first press the clutch pedal in. It's not consistent either, but I do tend to notice it when I'm usually in the lower gears, 1-3.

jpalazzi87
06-15-2015, 03:25 PM
Hmm it would be tough to tell without hearing it and isolating it to where its coming from, trans or diff area. Best of luck locating it, I'd probably try and grab a buddy and see if you can pinpoint it.

Beto0o
06-15-2015, 03:30 PM
Yeah that's probably the best approach, doesn't sound too serious, but definitely bugging me lol. Thanks though!

ELCID86
06-15-2015, 04:48 PM
Welcome. I'm about to roll 190k.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

danewilson77
06-15-2015, 05:49 PM
Welcome. 205k checking in. Sounds like you've completed some respectable maintenance.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

ryankokesh
06-15-2015, 05:52 PM
Welcome! Roll tide?

Sent from my iPhone

Oli77
06-15-2015, 06:40 PM
Welcome from KY. Enjoy the ride!

3ZHP
06-15-2015, 10:48 PM
Welcome! Nice find and nice attention to the needed maintenance. I agree with the last post, do the cooling system first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnrando
06-17-2015, 07:39 AM
Welcome. GL with the car and finding the issue. These are great DIY cars.

Beto0o
06-19-2015, 06:37 AM
Welcome. I'm about to roll 190k.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Welcome. 205k checking in. Sounds like you've completed some respectable maintenance.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Its so nice to see other high mileage cars, gives me reassurance of the zhp's longevity!

Welcome! Roll tide?

Sent from my iPhone

lol no sir. GO BLAZERS :D

Welcome! Nice find and nice attention to the needed maintenance. I agree with the last post, do the cooling system first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Yeah being that overheating seems critical I think i'll be ordering the cooling system parts next week from ECS.

Beto0o
06-19-2015, 06:39 AM
Welcome. GL with the car and finding the issue. These are great DIY cars.

Most definitely! Seems like there is so much useful information on the forums. My friends cringe at the thought of "expensive repairs" associated with BMW's but they forget that i'm a DIY type of guy.

NoVAphotog
06-19-2015, 07:03 AM
Welcome! Looks like great condition for miles! +1 to cooling system as per all reasoning stated above. Could do belts/pulleys "while you are in there" as well...

BMWCurves
06-19-2015, 08:02 AM
lol no sir. GO BLAZERS :D

For a split second I thought you were referring to the Trailblazers, but I'm guess you meant UAB? Alas, I'm a lone on this forum once again!

Thanks. Yeah being that overheating seems critical I think i'll be ordering the cooling system parts next week from ECS.

I'm not sure what ECS runs for their cooling components, but I bought my overhaul kit in April from Turner Motorsport (TMS) that came with a new radiator, hoses, thermostat, expansion tank, temperature sensor, level sensor, cap, and coolant for ~$550. I've found TMS on the whole to be cheaper than ECS. Just my $0.02

Welcome! Looks like great condition for miles! +1 to cooling system as per all reasoning stated above. Could do belts/pulleys "while you are in there" as well...

+1 I did that when I did my cooling system overhaul and it was easy. Definitely worth doing if you don't know the age of the pulleys or the belts.

fredo
06-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Welcome, Beto! You will love this forum.