PDA

View Full Version : Deconstructing vert/coupe/sedan trunk lid differences...

ecrabb
06-04-2015, 03:07 PM
OK, so since I can't look at my actual car, I keep staring at pictures of my car and other ZHP's and looking for things to distract myself with. I've always loved the lines on the coupe the best... Love the sedan, too really... But, we decided a vert would just be too much fun to pass up now that we live in a nice place with lots of beautiful days and nights.

But, I wondered what it was I liked and didn't like, so I started really studying the differences between the body styles and noticed I really liked the trunk lid on the sedan and coupe the other night, and decided to deconstruct the design of the two a little to see what it is about each that strikes my fancy. Some of you probably know all this already, but I hadn't really studied this before.

So, let's look at the coupe and sedan "boot" first...

I love the rear end on the sedan and coupe. I love how it sweeps back a little and even faces the roundel down at the ground a little. It also arches a little more in the middle. Looked at some M3 coupes, and sure enough... Looks like the same part, or if not the same part, the same design. That's why I like the ZHP coupe and sedan rear end so well - it's the same as the M3!

Oh, and the different trim piece above the license plate recesses is interesting. The coupe is longer and skinnier, extending past the license plate recess, while the sedan fits neatly over the plate recess.

Now, let's look at a vert...

So, at first, I thought the coupe and sedan lids were more arched, like a mild version of the CSL lid. But, looking at the more closely, side by side, I see where the difference is. The space between between the bottom of the tail lights and the bumper is the same on both. Where the difference really is, and where the height gets added in on the rear lip of the trunk, is above the top of the door, to meet up with the C-pillar. The coupe and sedan are a little meatier above the top of the door sills in the rear half of the car. I'd guess the interior dimension of the trunk, from floor to inside of trunk lid is actually a couple inches taller in the coupe and sedan.

Another little thing gets a little screwed up on the vert a little... The addition of the third brake light in the trunk lid then forced the designers to build up a wart on which to attach the roundel, which is much smaller and actually faces up into the air a little instead of down.

The trim piece above the license plate recess is like the sedan, but with the addition of the wart for the roundel.

There are other interesting design details/decisions, too. For instance, look at the taillight on the sedan, and notice how the divider between the upper two-thirds (turn/brake) lines up perfectly with the crease that runs up the hipline of the car. On the coupe and vert, there's no such harmony. It makes me wonder if something got changed after the fact, or if the euro and US taillights are different.

I'm sure some of you are thinking, "Uhhh... Looks like somebody has too much time on his hands." But, I'm just drooling on pics and killing time until I can get my car. ;)

Has anybody added an aftermarket painted spoiler strip to a vert? It looks great on the coupe and sedan. It makes me wonder why it wasn't available on the vert.

Cheers,
SC

wsmeyer
06-04-2015, 03:42 PM
So in summary, the vert is the best looking

BMWCurves
06-04-2015, 03:55 PM

I agree to disagree!

Oli77
06-04-2015, 04:19 PM

No Will, I think he said the sedan was best looking.

Didn't Rando think about a trunk lip at one point? When I got mine, I think it was him who asked for more pics of the fitment.

ecrabb
06-04-2015, 04:24 PM
LOLs. Didn't mean to start anything here!

Coupe, sedan, and vert are like three kids - I might prefer to go to a game or a car show with one or out to dinner or shopping with the other, but I love them all equally.

SC

wsmeyer
06-04-2015, 04:28 PM
All in good fun. I know I'm a little biased!

BCS_ZHP
06-04-2015, 05:00 PM
The trunk spoiler was never available on the vert as the trunk is about 1/4-3/8' narrower. If you buy an aftermarket spoiler (coupe or sedan), you need to carefully sand off half of that difference from each end in order to get it to fit perfectly. You could mount it as is but it will overflow onto the trunk-to-quarter panel gap on each side.

Reflecting on what you've pointed out, the small differences, I think there's a current song about this. The sedan is all about that bass, the vert more treble, the coupe's equalizer has it balanced to perfection (yes, he's a bit biased, but have owned all 4 e46 body styles).
Bruce

BRGcoopahS
06-04-2015, 06:53 PM

Yes, basically. hahaha

To sum it up quickly, the beltline runs evenly on the vert, where the sedan and coupe have it raised for the trunk. I personally prefer the vert lines, how its one continuous straight belt line. (just see my sig pic) The lower trunk line from the rear also makes the vert models appear wider than the coupes/sedans. It also makes the car seem longer too.

edit: I dont think they made the lip spoiler available on the vert simply because it would involve making a different lip.

wsmeyer
06-04-2015, 07:25 PM
Verts are 3/4" wider fender well to fender well

ecrabb
06-04-2015, 07:28 PM
The trunk spoiler was never available on the vert as the trunk is about 1/4-3/8' narrower. If you buy an aftermarket spoiler (coupe or sedan), you need to carefully sand off half of that difference from each end in order to get it to fit perfectly. You could mount it as is but it will overflow onto the trunk-to-quarter panel gap on each side.
Probably wouldn't do either. Unless somebody made one manufactured to fit, I'd probably pass.

Reflecting on what you've pointed out, the small differences, I think there's a current song about this. The sedan is all about that bass, the vert more treble, the coupe's equalizer has it balanced to perfection (yes, he's a bit biased, but have owned all 4 e46 body styles).
Bruce
Nice pop culture reference!

SC

ecrabb
06-04-2015, 07:31 PM
To sum it up quickly, the beltline runs evenly on the vert, where the sedan and coupe have it raised for the trunk. I personally prefer the vert lines, how its one continuous straight belt line. (just see my sig pic) The lower trunk line from the rear also makes the vert models appear wider than the coupes/sedans. It also makes the car seem longer too.
Agreed. There are definitely some design compromises in each body style. I do like everything about the vert but the third brake light/smaller roundel arrangement. There's just no good place to put a "cyclops" on a vert.

edit: I dont think they made the lip spoiler available on the vert simply because it would involve making a different lip.
No doubt, but with the numbers of verts built, I'm a little surprised. I assume it was some bean counter working with marketing and making assumptions about who the buyers were for each body style and whether they'd be interested in a spoiler.

SC

ecrabb
06-04-2015, 07:33 PM

No kidding?!?! That's interesting! I assume the car is wider only at the rear? A little extra space to accommodate convertible top gear, perhaps?

SC

wsmeyer
06-04-2015, 07:47 PM
I stumbled across it in the sales brochures, I have a few of them stored here:

http://images.chaleur.com/BMW%20Library/

All of the rear end parts are the same so I think we just have a slightly larger gap in the wheel well. Possibly why I was able to run 15mm spacers in the rear without rubbing.

johnrando
06-04-2015, 09:05 PM
I had an OEM coupe spoiler on, wrapped with c/f. It bubbled up so then I switched to a c/f one non OEM from Asia but slightly bigger all around. Will post pic later. I didn't mind the OEM spoiler hanging over the trunk just slightly

BTW, those cars you are showing are not regular coupes/sedans. I'd like to see those for comparison.

Sent from mobile

ecrabb
06-04-2015, 09:12 PM
I stumbled across it in the sales brochures, I have a few of them stored here:

http://images.chaleur.com/BMW%20Library/

Downloaded! Thank you!!!

All of the rear end parts are the same so I think we just have a slightly larger gap in the wheel well. Possibly why I was able to run 15mm spacers in the rear without rubbing.
Sounds reasonable.

SC

ecrabb
06-04-2015, 09:15 PM
I had an OEM coupe spoiler on, wrapped with c/f. It bubbled up so then I switched to a c/f one non OEM from Asia but slightly bigger all around. Will post pic later.
Excellent! Thank you! :thumbup

BTW, those cars you are showing are not regular coupes/sedans. I'd like to see those for comparison.
Really? I just grabbed random photos I found on cars.com. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. The only one that looks weird to me is the Alpine M3 - I think that photo is squished horizontally. What do you see that's irregular?

SC

ecrabb
06-05-2015, 09:19 AM
OK, so I see Bimmian has two things:

1) A painted lip spoiler in two different sizes; one for coupe and one for sedan/vert. $229.
http://www.bimmian.com/Painted-Lip-Spoiler-for-BMW

So, presumably it wouldn't need to be modified to fit, which I'd prefer. Fit/finish looks really great in the photos.

2) A CSL-style lid from Status Gruppe. There's the full CF, or the cheaper FRP that would need to be painted. A grand either either way all-in.
http://www.bimmian.com/Status-Gruppe-Carbon-Trunk-for-BMW-E46-3-Series

I might try one of the little spoilers at some point.

SC

BRGcoopahS
06-05-2015, 12:12 PM

what really? Didn't know that. But what do you mean by fender well? I know what that is obviously but does that mean the flares are wider and the rear track is wider?

edit: nvm, didnt read through the thread.